Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Loss of Transmission fluid
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Loss of Transmission fluid

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Tim Nowicki

Alden NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/19 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that happened to me on a ford e-350 van. thought the trannie was bad, but after talking to a mechanic, he said fords sometimes do that. never had to rebuid. topped off and good to go.

Tim

Larrysr1957

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fleet man
Yes I had idled for about 20 minutes at the check in gate then drove about 1 1/2 miles at slow speed and then about 5 minutes of maneuvering into our camp spot. I have Good Sams road side assistance they will be towing it to a transmission shop on their list of repair shops

Larrysr1957

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to take a moment and thank everyone for the very informative and helpful information each of you provided

1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to add a trans. temp gauge so you monitor the temp of the fluid. I had a 1996 Holiday Rambler 36 ft that did the same thing. I added a Banks trans temp gauge and a extra trans cooler. Drove the RV from Ga. to the west coast, 7500 miles and never puked fluid again. Was told by a friend that owns a trans. shop this is a common occourance on this type trans.

Larrysr1957

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to thank everyone for the informative replies I will be towing it to a transmission shop Monday. Thanks too all

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larrysr1957 wrote:

I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder with a Ford 460 engine. After driving over 300 miles when we arrived to our destination I parked the motor home at our campsite, I turned off the engine and a lot of transmission fluid poured out of the bottom of the transmission bell housing onto the ground. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem before I get it to a transmission shop. I am in Orlando Florida am going to try and find a shop Monday morning 07/22/2019

Need A LOT more information!

Before you have the transmission R+R'ed, did you try to use it after the fluid burp? Does it go into all forward/reverse gears? Is the ATF cooler blocked? Is the fluid underfull/overfull, burned? I agree with others. Sometimes automatics get hot and belch fluid. It doesn't necessarily mean the transmission is shot. (it's generally NOT a good sign either) If the transmission works, did it dump fluid again after it heated up? Any unusual noises?

The fluid change interval is 30,000 miles. At 57,000 miles, even though it's a '97, don't let a transmission shop sell you a rebuilt transmission without SHOWING you EXACTLY what's wrong. Tell the shop that you want ALL the old parts. (even if you just throw them away yourself) Depending on what's broken, if anything, a fully rebuilt transmission may cost as much as half the value of the RV. Something to think about.

Chum lee

Fleet Man

Western WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larry, your five minutes of maneuvering is what caused the tranny fluid to “puke.” After my initial scare, I installed a transmission temperature gauge to monitor temps. One time after the gauge install, I was maneuvering our Sunnybrook 27 FKS travel trailer on the level and had the temps go up extremely fast. Hope you do not get steered into an unnecessary expense.

2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larrysr1957 wrote:

The fluid and filter have not been changed it only has 57,000 miles on it. I thought that is a 100,000 mile service

Need to look at the heavy duty column when MHs are involved.

Also where you backing up a hill when this happened?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Loss of Transmission fluid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS