cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is a travel trailer with a slide out a good idea for me?

TDewit01
Explorer
Explorer
My family is getting ready to replace an old travel trailer we have had for years. We are looking for something between 18-22 ft for easy towing and we will only need to sleep 4-6. We have been looking at a few options and we came across a 18 ft model with a slide-out. I have heard of these having issues with leaking and was just wondering what to look out for. We will be using this in Northern Michigan in the summers but also in the late fall season where it will be exposed to snowfall. The model we looked at was a 2018 so Iโ€™m wondering if the slide outs have gotten any better or if there are steps we can take to safeguard it or is it just a bad idea overall? All information, tips and advice is welcome and extremely appreciated.
34 REPLIES 34

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a no slide 25ft TT then to a 28ft TT with a 16" deep superslide then to a 35ft TT with a 30" deep superslide and now a 36ft class A with 3 slides! Each one was better than the other. I would never go back to a no slide RV. Even now with my son in college and my daughter next year. The more room the better. And we go out and do things. But there are times we just like to spread out after playing board games. More room is always better than less room.
Why make yourself suffer?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huge slide fan. The more the better! Makes a huge difference in living space, especially if you have kids, dogs, etc. Went from 1 to 2, and now 3 slides over our past 3 trailers.

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on that. There are some fantastic rear bath units in both slide and no slide versions. But even in the no slide there is some good middle bathrooms. Like the Grey Wolf 25R and 23MK. They are pass thru bathrooms that are just as roomy as rear bath versions.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't like um. I am in the "No Slide Out Camp" (pun intended) .

First, if you want your TT to be more roomier get one with a Rear Bathroom. Putting the bathroom in the middle always makes it hourglass shaped and makes it harder to move around. My TT with the rear bath and right side (curb side) dinette TT works well.

Second, I agree with some of the posters that said you can have a good time with your family without them. If you can't then you should work that out before you leave.

Third, your camping. Go Outside ! Don't spend the whole time in the camper.

As for rainy days. Go to a museum, Go to a zoo, Go to a movie, Go to a show, Go out to eat, Go to antique store, Go shopping, Go Somewhere !!! Get out and do things ! The camper is for sleeping and a few other things but, it's not a home.

On a really bad day when there is rain and no way to Go find other things to do. Board Games, Word Games, and other things can be done. Reading a book is becoming a lost art but, it still can be done. And,,, finally,,, these days most kids and young adults have enough games and entertainment in their phones to keep them busy. That's a last resort though.

How often are you really going to be inside anyway??? Hopefully not very much.

Have a nice Day.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
If I could have bought our Jayco 28RLS without a slide, I would have in a heartbeat. Itโ€™s rack and pinion drive has been flawless and no leaks. The room is great. Having to climb up on the roof to hose off the slide every time we pack up is a chore I could do without and be happy. Spray lube on the seals and drive isnโ€™t a problem at all.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
Operating slide outs properly and doing basic maintenance on them, especially seals, will mitigate many potential problems. Ask the techs at a dealership shop for advice on using one. No need to fear them. They can be really great.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I'm easily influenced.....my trailer with slide is heading for craigslist even though I've never had an issue in 9 years with current trailer.
Oh and I lived in a hybrid trailer all winter while building my house. Lol

The Jones'zz ain't gonna like my next purchase.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
fdwt994 wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
fdwt994 wrote:
...They also seem to be more problematic compared to other tried & true designs.
You say that based upon what?

Personal experience and lots of research. Feedback from several technicians as well.

Might as well never leave the house! Everything will fail or cause an issue at some point. Sometimes never, but if you stay home you rule out any possibility.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
fdwt994 wrote:
...They also seem to be more problematic compared to other tried & true designs.
You say that based upon what?

Personal experience and lots of research. Feedback from several technicians as well.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bols2DawaLL wrote:
Am i the only one that might be thinking a hybrid trailer might be better suited to the OP ?
A Hybrid would be a poor choice for the late fall when it could be cold and snowing. There is zero insulation on tent ends.

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
Am i the only one that might be thinking a hybrid trailer might be better suited to the OP ?

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Go to the search engine that starts with G ๐Ÿ™‚
Type in rvnet slide issue

Grab a beverage of choice you might be there awhile. ๐Ÿ™‚
Click the more results option at the bottom of the fist two hits to expand. I go camping to explore not spend all my time in a camper. But what if it's raining out? It's ok, I won't melt.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
MEH, slides are a person decision based on their opinion that they must have a huge cubby for everyone. Most likely you will see an overwhelming majority of responses which will echo the "need" for a slide and feel everyone NEEDS to have at least one slide.

I am on the opposite side, I don't feel anyone really "needs" a slide, instead they WANT a slide. Whether it is to keep up with the "Jones's" or want some sort of impressive status symbol (who in the world needs a 38ft long trailer with "triple slides"?)..

Instead on relying on a remote website forum (with faceless keyboard surfers) to make up YOUR mind as to YOUR needs and wants.

I can only present my needs and wants, I don't need or want a slide and my 26ft TT can sleep 5 people easily, if you search a bit most likely could find TTs in that length or even shorter which can sleep 6 without slides.

Folks who say slides are trouble free and have never had an issue with a slide have never looked for leaks and damage. A slide opening cut into a trailer severally weakens the trailer structure. Manufacturers have to make up for this by reinforcing in other places which means a trailer with a slide will be heavier when compared to a non slide of the same size.

One of the critical places is the roof, the longer the slide the more potential for the roof to sag in the slide opening, most folks who say they have never had an issue with a slide most likely has never looked at the roof for sagging..

The mechanical systems are not trouble free nor are they cheap and easy to fix, slide motors do fail, cables do fail, hydraulic systems do fail.. And when they fail, it is almost NEVER in your driveway..

Had a fellow camper in a campground who spent the better part of 4 days trying to beat their slide back into working order. Made me appreciate that I have one less thing to break..

Slide mechs when they break or not adjusted correctly sometimes also drag on your floor, replacing the floor under a slide often means pulling the slide out of the opening..

Slides since they create a huge hole in the side of a trailer are a huge potential leak. A leak which can go unnoticed for a long time and when found the damage to the floor and wall structure can be extensive..

But like I mentioned, only YOU can really decide, go and look at trailers instead of seeking a website of opinions.

I'm in the No Slides Camp. (I've had two with slides and two without.)
We never had a problem with a slide.
It's all in what you get used too...
There is only my wife and I. We spend more time outside our RV than inside.
I've always thought of our campers as a Motel room where no one steals from us.
I changed the insides of our 75 Prowler and have ample room for the two of us.
Our camping habits have changed over the years.
Now a days we camp about 3 days then return to base.
If I camped longer periods of time, I would have another with a slide.
I love to camp in late Winter, Spring, Fall and early Winter.
Alabama Winters are generally mild. Alabama Summer is hot, and steamy.
Alabama Mosquitoes and biting flies are an aggravation we can do without.
We no longer go on long distance camping trips, Al. to Tn.
Al. to FL. are more in line with our preferences.

My advice is to always buy what suits your camping style.
Extended trips or more people camping beg for slides...

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Merrykalia wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Whether it is to keep up with the "Jones's" or want some sort of impressive status symbol (who in the world needs a 38ft long trailer with "triple slides"?)..

We do! We have two teenage girls and we camp-host for the months of May, June, July and August. Once we are in the trailer for over two weeks, we need space to get away from each other. So, yes, we NEED quad-slides!

Folks who say slides are trouble free and have never had an issue with a slide have never looked for leaks and damage.

Like anything else in an RV, some maintenance needs to be done. You don't have to go crazy with it. Yes, we have had slide problems - they were not aligned perfectly and one was dragging after a few uses. Took it back to the dealer, they adjusted it and we have had two years of great service.

:R

Honestly, my parents took our entire family (SIX of us kids) camping, started out traveling in a Station wagon and tent back in the late '60's. We went for SIX WEEKS and traveled from PA down to FLORIDA, TWICE.

It DID NOT KILL US!

A bit cramped and uncomfortable at times, sure.

Then Dad bought a 1970 F100, put a shell cap on the back, made a long table and seats in the bed. We road in the back while traveling and at night the table dropped and the seat backs were on hinges and raised up. Made a top bunk and bottom bunk..

It DID NOT KILL US!

1972, Dad found a used '68 truck camper (TC) and once again we kids road in the TC and we ALL slept in the TC.. Made several trips from PA to Florida.

IT DID NOT KILL US!

Dad used that TC until I and my younger sister were out of school..

I swear that everyone on this forum must hate their family to keep saying everyone needs their space.. Camping is not about keeping space, it IS about CONNECTING WITH YOUR FAMILY, NOT ISOLATING THEM!

If want vast amounts of private space, then camping may not be for you..

You also act like it is no big deal when a slide malfunctions just to "take it to the dealer".. It COSTS MONEY (GAS AND WEAR AND TEAR)AND TIME to take a RV to any dealer, it causes inconvenience for you and can often result in the dealer having YOUR trailer sitting on their lot for weeks OR months at a time.

As far as them being trouble free, here is only a few recent posts with slide out issues and keep in mind that this is only from the TT forum.. Go to the links for full thread.

OP might wish to search for more troubles that folks here seem to gloss over..

HERE

Posted 7/20/19

"Denali 289RK. The main slide is roughly 14 ft long. It all of a sudden started to stick so bad on the left side, I almost couldnโ€™t get it to slide out on this trip. Goes in just fine. Last season, the whole slide would start to go out on the bottom but the top seemed to bind up. Then would โ€œpopโ€ and go out fine. This trip, I had to stand inside the trailer, have the DW hit the switch to open the slide and push on the left side from inside to get it to pop open, after the pop, it goes just fine. Like I said, the bottom seems to start to go out just fine until the top left binds it up.
Any ideas ?"

HERE

Posted 7/2/19

"Iโ€™m having an electrical issue with my slide. When I press the slide button to slide out, my slide works as it should. When I press it to slide in, itโ€™s like something is shorting out because even my lights lose power. Any ideas where the problem would be? We have replaced the slide switch, but it didnโ€™t help. I also donโ€™t think the problem is with the slide motor because when we reversed polarity to the motor and pressed the slide out button, it slid in without issue but then when pressing the slide in button, the lights lost power again.
Thanks! "

HERE

Posted 7/2/19

"I have replaced by bulb seal on 2 of the 3 slides because they were tearing at the top and adjusted the slide but it is happening again. I don't wont to put new seals in before I resolve this the top of the slide is tight and the bottom has a 1" or so space. I have used the Lippert manual to adjust them but it isn't right yet. Anyone know the best way to adjust the tilt top and bottom? "

HERE

Posted 6/21/19

"Hi All,

I have a 2012 Passport 3220 BHWE. I wax it twice a year, has no delamination, and still shines. Really has been a good trailer no big issues.

Recently the large slide has started to chatter on retrieval. I can find any obvious issue. A few years back I had to have the cable fixed but that is really it.

Is any one lubing the sides or the rollers? It only has two roller.

If you do lube, what are you lubing and what are you using?"

Something else to consider, some floor plans BLOCK your access to parts or entire area of the trailer when in.. A Cousin of mine had one that they did not look at when the slides were in..

Only when they got it home they discovered they COULD NOT get to a bedroom AND THE BATHROOM when the slide was in!!! They were not able to open the slide when the trailer was at there home :S

You only listed 3 (one of which is a nuisance issue) out of many thousands of people without issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is