Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is a travel trailer with a slide out a good idea for me?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Is a travel trailer with a slide out a good idea for me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I could have bought our Jayco 28RLS without a slide, I would have in a heartbeat. It’s rack and pinion drive has been flawless and no leaks. The room is great. Having to climb up on the roof to hose off the slide every time we pack up is a chore I could do without and be happy. Spray lube on the seals and drive isn’t a problem at all.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 106k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't like um. I am in the "No Slide Out Camp" (pun intended) .

First, if you want your TT to be more roomier get one with a Rear Bathroom. Putting the bathroom in the middle always makes it hourglass shaped and makes it harder to move around. My TT with the rear bath and right side (curb side) dinette TT works well.

Second, I agree with some of the posters that said you can have a good time with your family without them. If you can't then you should work that out before you leave.

Third, your camping. Go Outside ! Don't spend the whole time in the camper.

As for rainy days. Go to a museum, Go to a zoo, Go to a movie, Go to a show, Go out to eat, Go to antique store, Go shopping, Go Somewhere !!! Get out and do things ! The camper is for sleeping and a few other things but, it's not a home.

On a really bad day when there is rain and no way to Go find other things to do. Board Games, Word Games, and other things can be done. Reading a book is becoming a lost art but, it still can be done. And,,, finally,,, these days most kids and young adults have enough games and entertainment in their phones to keep them busy. That's a last resort though.

How often are you really going to be inside anyway??? Hopefully not very much.

Have a nice Day.

Copperhead

Central Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree on that. There are some fantastic rear bath units in both slide and no slide versions. But even in the no slide there is some good middle bathrooms. Like the Grey Wolf 25R and 23MK. They are pass thru bathrooms that are just as roomy as rear bath versions.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huge slide fan. The more the better! Makes a huge difference in living space, especially if you have kids, dogs, etc. Went from 1 to 2, and now 3 slides over our past 3 trailers.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a no slide 25ft TT then to a 28ft TT with a 16" deep superslide then to a 35ft TT with a 30" deep superslide and now a 36ft class A with 3 slides! Each one was better than the other. I would never go back to a no slide RV. Even now with my son in college and my daughter next year. The more room the better. And we go out and do things. But there are times we just like to spread out after playing board games. More room is always better than less room.
Why make yourself suffer?

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Is a travel trailer with a slide out a good idea for me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.