cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar question

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Arctic Fox 25Y that I bought used, and it came with 2-100 watt Zamp solar panels on it. I picked up a Grape 160 watt panel and got a combiner box and hooked them together parallel. I have been told that the wire used in the Arctic Fox is a 10 gauge hookup to the controller. It has been working fine for over a year, but I am having some shorting problems at the batteries, and need to know if that could be causing any problems?

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'
11 REPLIES 11

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Will do, thanks for the help. Did that on the solar that I put in my old trailer, I didn't set this up, and I can't see that it has any.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And add a fuse to your solar wire. All wires should be protected with a fuse.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You proabably need 8 guage wire from the batteries to the controller and from the controller to the solar panels.
Panels of different sizes are best not operated in parallel.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good. I will talk to them at the shop to try to avoid troubles again. Thanks.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Solar good. Install a heavy fuse right on the positive battery post, a lot less expensive to change.

Then find the largest 12V light you can and hook it in series with the positive battery cable. It must be large enough to not light the light or very dim with the parasitic rig loads. Now push/pull the wires and plugs until you find the problem.

Plus there should be burned/arcing evidence at the short as it takes a lot of amps to cause your problem. I don't suspect your solar as 10 ga wire would become very hot, but disconnect it if suspicious.

Bob

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Also, the controller has been working good, charging up rapidly in the morning and getting up to 14.6 to 14.8 to start for the daily charging. Seems normal.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't use the plugs, I used the configuration of the wires or the polarity of the wires as marked going + to plus and - to - . The problem I had was on movement of the battery case the wires shorted catching on fire and blowing the neg pole out of the right battery. Replaced the wire that looked like it was the one that shorted with a piece of PVC pipe to protect it, and both batteries since I want them to be the same age (6 volt), and everything was fine for a couple of trips. Then on another trip, hooking up to leave the lake, pulled on the plug to hook to the truck, blew up again and blew the neg post out of the right battery again. The fire extinguishers are getting expensive, let alone the batteries. I have it going in to the shop this week. Hope to get it figured out, I have a reservation at the coast starting Friday. Thanks for the reply's.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mike-uswest wrote:
I have been told that the wire used in the Arctic Fox is a 10 gauge hookup to the controller. It has been working fine for over a year, but I am having some shorting problems at the batteries,
I don't know what shorting problems are, but you're about at the limit for 10awg wire.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the polarity of each panel.

FYI Parallel panels should be closely matched for voltage, amps can be different. Plus it's best to always use the same type.

What does a "shorting problem at the batteries mean?" Are you suggesting it's from the solar or something else? They discharge to fast? etc

Shorted batteries can get hot quick while discharged batteries are another issue including failing batteries. Have them load tested.

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your panels can produce about 18 amps. 10 gauge wire can handle that without significant loss for 5.5 to 7 feet. Manufacturer was being cheap. Eight gauge costs a little more.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Zamp solar panels use a two pin (trailer hitch type) connector wired with a non standard polarity. Other vendors that use this connector wire their panels the opposite. Did you check for proper polarity on the new panel before hooking it up to your existing system?
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad