cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running 1 ac unit on 20 amp shore power,

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit next to where I park my MH when loading and unloading for trips. If only some 12 volt lights, but no frig or water heater on electric were running in the mh, could I run 1 of the roof top acโ€™ units? Both units are on single 20 amp breakers in the MH and one is 15,000 btu and one is 13,500 btu
Thanks in advance

Additional info

I have a 30 amp extension cord with an adapter to 20 amp that I could use.
30 REPLIES 30

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Not to brag, but I will :B

We are leaving for a 2-1/2 week trip on Wednesday and I have had ALL 3 of my 15K AC's running, set to 75 since last week while we pack it up.

I got tired of being worried what would and would not work so I ran a dedicated 50amp outlet to the RV..

SMART MAN!!!

Nothing better than 3 AC's at 113 degrees! Been there done that.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Not to brag, but I will :B

We are leaving for a 2-1/2 week trip on Wednesday and I have had ALL 3 of my 15K AC's running, set to 75 since last week while we pack it up.

I got tired of being worried what would and would not work so I ran a dedicated 50amp outlet to the RV..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. The plan is to use the ac only will parked in the driveway when getting ready to go or while unpacking, and only if itโ€™s really hot out. Iโ€™ve run the generator in the past but if lโ€™d rather use the house electric if possible. Again thanks for the responses, this forum is great

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Your average roof air/con will pull 10-12amps continuous (much more for a second on startup).

As long as the breaker doesn't trip and you keep the other loads negligible, it should be fine if the connections are all clean and good condition.

Use the biggest shortest extension cord you can to minimize voltage drop.

Thanks

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
Best to check your voltage when plugged into whatever configuration you have and go from there...

If you plug in and then turn on the AC get a volt meter and plug into any other 120v outlet in the rig and read it's voltage output..

If it's much below 108v, then you might need to consider some other power source, but for a short time, and if it does not trip the 20a breaker then you are probably "ok"...

No way to say for sure one way or the other, but you can also feel the cords and if they are really warm to the touch, then maybe you are drawing too much...

Good luck!

Mitch

This answer gets my vote as the best. I check the voltage inside the rig, and it works out ok for me.
x2 I did this for years, and on hot days the voltage would sag down to 103 or so before I would notice and shut it down. A Kill-a-watt is a super simple, and relatively cheap way to monitor your voltage.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Have a way to monitor voltage. My comfort zone is 107 and above.

Forgot to mention, I have a Progressive Industries EMS and it shows the voltage draw and I will monitor it. It also shuts down at 104 and below aotomatically.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your average roof air/con will pull 10-12amps continuous (much more for a second on startup).

As long as the breaker doesn't trip and you keep the other loads negligible, it should be fine if the connections are all clean and good condition.

Use the biggest shortest extension cord you can to minimize voltage drop.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I been doing it for years with the 13,500 in the fifth wheel.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have a way to monitor voltage. My comfort zone is 107 and above.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
GFI circuits don't work well.
Mine do. Not a single trip in 15 years of plugging the RV into a GFCI circuit, with or without air conditioner running.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
RLS7201 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
and what difference does using an adapter make? if the OP draws more than ~80% of 20-amps (16-mps) the CB will pop.

No it won't. Look at the trip curve. That 80% deal is nonsense.

It will carry a multiple of 1.13 for ever.

Richard

Correct. 80% may be recommended max loading. But breakers donโ€™t trip until the current exceeds the rated amps.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
and what difference does using an adapter make? if the OP draws more than ~80% of 20-amps (16-mps) the CB will pop.

No it won't. Look at the trip curve. That 80% deal is nonsense.

It will carry a multiple of 1.13 for ever.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GFI circuits don't work well.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. I have a plan and will try it tomorrow. Again thanks everybody for responding