Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Grand Design purchase
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Grand Design purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV industry has certainly trained its customers to not trust thier MSRP. Reminds me of the auto industry years ago. I think it was Saturn that bravely took the approach to offer non-negotiated prices. One is a fool to not do thier homework before buying an RV. I looks like 25-35% discount is considered a reasonable discount. Then the issue is the trade in value and most dealers would use that as their best bargening tool to make a profit. Buyers beware and knowlege is the best tool.......

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's like saying because I paid more for my pickup truck than I should have because my dealer didn't have a sales ad in the paper.

I just did a search for 2020 5th wheels within 400 miles of me on RVTrader. NONE of the ads I looked at for 2020 showed a discounted price. 2019's... yes, but not the 2020's.

So, it appears Grand Design is not the only one using your descriptive practices. I guess every dealer, and every brand within 400 miles of me is using the same practice and "ripping everyone off".

Calling consumer protection right now.. That's BS. They need to stop these predatory practices immediately. Congress needs to put an end to it. President Trump - instead of worrying about North Korea, can you please shut down the RV industry until they come to their senses?

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

I just did a search for 2020 5th wheels within 400 miles of me on RVTrader. NONE of the ads I looked at for 2020 showed a discounted price. 2019's... yes, but not the 2020's.

So, it appears Grand Design is not the only one using your descriptive practices. I guess every dealer, and every brand within 400 miles of me is using the same practice and "ripping everyone off".

Mike

Mike

Are you sure? Wanna bet? I'll take that bet.

I just went to RV Trader. I picked one non-Grand Design 5th wheel model at random: 2020 FOREST RIVER CEDAR CREEK 34IK. I see new 2020 models from $98K down to $64K. Are you saying that none of those are discounted? (Link below)

I rest my case.

Steve

RV Trader 5th Wheel Search

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are not individual ads that show a discounted price. You criticized BillyBob's response because his ad was a single ad that showed a discounted price, and you dismissed it because it was a 2019.

I have no problem finding different prices from different dealers, even on Grand Designs. And even on 2020's. You were talking about an individual ad that shows a discounted price (ie MSRP and dealers price).

Heres a link with different prices for a Reflection 337RLS from 48-69. Guess none of these are discounted?

I think Cedar Creek is ripping people off. 98K! Yikes. Turn them in too

RV Trader query

I rest my case.

Mike

* This post was last edited 07/27/19 12:45pm by Walaby *   View edit history

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Those are not individual ads that show a discounted price. You criticized BillyBob's response because his ad was a single ad that showed a discounted price, and you dismissed it because it was a 2019.

I have no problem finding different prices from different dealers, even on Grand Designs. And even on 2020's. You were talking about an individual ad that shows a discounted price (ie MSRP and dealers price).

Heres a link with different prices for a Reflection 337RLS from 48-69. Guess none of these are discounted?

I think Cedar Creek is ripping people off. 98K! Yikes. Turn them in too

RV Trader query

I rest my case.

Mike

Whatever. SMH.

caysea7254

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased our Grand Design Reflection from Bill Thomas Rv in Wentsville MO. We lived in SE Indiana at the time and they gave us the best deal. Better than any in Indiana that had the model we wanted. Nice sales people. Tara

Steve & Tara Smiley
2014 3500HD Silverado
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP please check your PM.

The nice thing about buying a new trailer (if there really is a *nice* thing) is that nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy a certain brand or from a certain dealer.

I have a Grand Design trailer on order. I spent a little time calling dealers and talking one on one with them, asking for a price. Prices were all over the place and one never gets the lowest price until they are ready to buy, then the dealing starts when an offer is made.

By talking to dealers and hearing of some 25-30% off MSRP pricing, I felt I was armed with enough info to make a good deal. Even if GD dealers published a discounted selling price, it still doesn't mean that's the lowest price they will sell it to you for.

Bottom line: I personally don't feel I got ripped off from GD. I just had to do my homework to get the best price, which I would do on the purchase of any brand.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I not only negotiated 30% off MSRP, but got a front bedroom AC with thermostat installed for half price out the door on my GD 303RLS. General RV was the dealership. I could care less what some ad says. It will be what I'm willing to pay or I'm walking out. And you can believe that I'll first try getting even less than that!

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

I not only negotiated 30% off MSRP, but got a front bedroom AC with thermostat installed for half price out the door on my GD 303RLS. General RV was the dealership. I could care less what some ad says. It will be what I'm willing to pay or I'm walking out. And you can believe that I'll first try getting even less than that!

Thanks for the info, thats the model I'm looking at.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I really like about Jayco, is that you can "build and price" an RV there and the only thing that =should= change is delivery charges. Even then, shipping wouldn't be hard to at least estimate that based on zip code. Big problem a number of years ago was that you'd see virtually identical rigs at dealers that were within just a couple hundred miles of each other with "MSRPs" that were thousands apart and the excuse was always "delivery charges were more". Riiiiiight, it cost $3k more to deliver to you, 200 miles away from this other dealer. Sometimes I thought that the dealers just pulled those numbers from their nether regions. I've not seen that as much now, but Jayco is about the only mfr that has the "build and price" feature on their site. It gives the customer common ground, no matter which dealer they choose.

I will say, that when I was shopping, and asked for the invoice and options price sheet, most dealers were accommodating and, when differing options were factored in (or out), MSRPs were relatively consistent. I did find a couple that were out of line and I let them know that I'd caught them out and just said "goodbye". [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Grand Design purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS