cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moki Dugway, Should I try it?

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Driving a Thor Vegas 25' Moho pulling a jeep. Should I try the drive UP the Moki to get to Rt.95? It'll save 50 miles not going around thru Bluff.:E
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"
13 REPLIES 13

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Accidentally drove down Moki Dugway last year in my 14,050 lbs 31 ft class c with a motorcycle carrier on the back so basically 34ft long. Really tight hairpin turns and sheer drop offs. Wouldn't do it again in my RV going up or down... Especially if my wife was in the RV again... She's almost over it :W
Proud father of a US Marine

morley
Explorer
Explorer
We drove the Moki from top down with our 2009 pickup (no trailer) and it was fine, Muley Point is very rough to get to but worth it for the view.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why not drive the two vehicles up separately?
bumpy

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
NO! the road is narrow and there are overhanging cliffs along the way so you can't hug the inside as close as you would like to.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Since you live in FLAT LAND of FL, Go for it. There is also a very interesting FREE boondocking camping spot (Muley Point Overlook N37ยฐ 14.053' W109ยฐ 59.565') if you turn left at the VERY top of the hill. The road to muley point is washboad, but the view is outstanding.

x2
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't enjoy driving up the dugway in my toad. of course I am not as "manly" as some of these adventurers.
bumpy

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Since you live in FLAT LAND of FL, Go for it. There is also a very interesting FREE boondocking camping spot (Muley Point Overlook N37ยฐ 14.053' W109ยฐ 59.565') if you turn left at the VERY top of the hill. The road to muley point is washboad, but the view is outstanding.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
We recently drove Moki Dugway in a 3500HD dually crew cab pickup. It can be tight when meeting another vehicle, however we had no problems. Large dump trucks and a grader were working on the road at the time. Signs state: 10% grade, towing/vehicles >10,000 lbs GVW not recommended.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can VISUALLY drive the route in Google maps HERE. The second to last switchback near the top appears to be the tightest plus the 10% grade.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it in my 32' MH, no problem and fun. Keep an eye out ahead for oncoming vehicles and plan for pullover at the wide spots. Take lots of photos, you'll be talking about it for a long time.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I've done it with 20+ foot TT several times. the highway north is paved from the top on.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Been up and down it 10 or 15 times. Once hauling a small RV (the first time inadvertently). It was built for uranium trucks. So make your own decision. Its no right of passage, great view tho.

Agree. We drove up it with just our TV, but it was built for trucks. It has several hair pin curves and narrow in some spots. There are numerous YouTube videos out there. Watch several and determine if you want to do it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been up and down it 10 or 15 times. Once hauling a small RV (the first time inadvertently). It was built for uranium trucks. So make your own decision. Its no right of passage, great view tho.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper