cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a tow vehicle for boat

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Had to edit content regarding weight of boat.

We may end up with a boat before next spring, so I’ve been looking for another tow vehicle to serve double duty as an occasional daily driver. If we end up with a 28’ boat the total weight could hit 11.5K lbs. Boat is 8500 lbs, add fuel, water, gear and trailer and should be right at 11,500

I was looking into a 2500 suburban for a 26' boat but with the 28' then I may need to look elsewhere. I’m looking into a used tow vehicle no older than 2002, but newer than 2005 if poss, and trying to stay away from a dually. I want to say a burb' would get the job done but quite close to the limit.

Budget...I don’t need all the bells and whistles, just something to pull the boat with very occasional daily commuting. Would like to stay under $6K but I have no idea what to spend for this weight so all input and criticism is much appreciated.
36 REPLIES 36

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
gmcman wrote:
Regarding the 2500 Suburban, the tow ratings being based on drivetrain options, does the legal GCWR change? Whatever the legal GVWR or GCWR is for the 8.1, is that the same for the 6.0?

GCWR has zero legal merit. It's a manufacturer's recommendation based on performance and longevity. That said, grade-ability of the 6.0 isn't great. Get stopped on a 12% grade with that much weight, and you probably won't get going again without using low-range.

The GCWR of the 6.0 is only 16,000 pounds.

I have scaled twice that with a '15 6.0 and never had an issue starting. I pulled up and down the passes here and while slow, never got hot or ran out of power in full disclosure, I never ran Teton Pass at that weight. I would have zero issues pulling 11500 with a 6.0, especially with a 6 speed tranny and considering how very little air disturbance that. you get pulling a boat.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ I'm with you. Heck, I'm your partner in crime. The only vehicle or vessel in garage that doesn't have 300+ or 400+ hp is the old stock 74 Jeep with a 258 6 banger in it.
I like hauling @ss when I haul!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

I'm still not understanding, unless you're just in love with the hotrod soccer mobile aspect of a 8.1 Sub, why you're seeking this out to do very minimal towing duty.

Well....a lot of it is I’ve always wanted a full-size Burb/Yukon for the extra room. I’ve been looking for a more modern GMT SUV, prob 2012-2015 but then started thinking on holding on to the Envoy for a while longer and keeping a much more capable towing rig that would also serve as a family vehicle on occasions.

I guess there is an attraction to the big 8.1, could be that they are only getting older and good copies are also getting harder to find, part of me wants to experience that and decide if I should keep it as an occasional tow vehicle, or move on to a P/U to serve the same task but with a higher tow rating.

With that being said, I am somewhat of a realist so while I would like to find good reasons to have the 8.1 hauler, I’m fine with being talked out of one. I was entertaining the idea that if I found a good 4:10 version, would an external OD provide decent economy for highway use while not towing, naturally paying careful attention to the 4WD aspect.

The kids also want to go camping, I could pull quite a bit of TT with the 8.1. Camping could be short-lived but who knows.

These 8.1 SUV’s have what I want for a short-term...possibly mid-term vehicle to serve double-duty....but the age and being very thirsty do play the most significant roles. So again, I appreciate all the input.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
There's on on Seattle Craigslist that may interest you. 02 Sub 8.1 170k asking $6900. Looks real clean and vehicles don't really rust around here if they're from the wet side of the mountians.

I'm still not understanding, unless you're just in love with the hotrod soccer mobile aspect of a 8.1 Sub, why you're seeking this out to do very minimal towing duty.
Just trying to put it in perspective in case you think it's something that's even marginally required for moving the boat from the dock to the yard.

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

$6k or whatever your budget is, is guaranteed to buy you a piece of ____ with 250k miles on it anyway, if your talking fullsize crew cab pickups or SUVs.

I meant to add to that....my initial plan of $6K puts that golden egg of a SUV somewhat out of reach. I'm fine with spending $8-10K, seen quite a few low mileage units (around 90-110K) for around $8-9K, some slightly higher.

If I did go with the 8.1 SUV, I surely would try to find a very well kept vehicle, not a beater.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My combined weight is around 14,200#. Tows great!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent points here...many thanks.

Grit dog wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're in love with a big block Sub on one hand and the other hand is looking at the economics of it and therefore your brain is stuck in the middle.

Pretty much nailed it...lol.

I do like the option of having a large SUV in the event I'm not just hauling the boat. But then there's the question of how bad could a crew or double cab pickup be for a small getaway.

The 8.1's I'm looking for are low mileage...when I say low, I'm going for 140K max, and have found a few with 80-115K miles in excellent, garage-kept condition. Problem is most end up with the 3:73 rear but that could be changed.

Missed one that had 73K and was showroom clean, but the price reflected that and I would be in a 2500 HD Dmax at that price.

I do understand a 15 YO vehicle has areas that may need addressed, so proper selection is key.

I'm not 100% pushing for a 8.1, but hard to beat for the price.

We have a 2014 Highlander for most of the traveling, that's part is covered. I just find myself needing a SUV much more than a P/U.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Of course opinions here....

IMHO...the 8.1L Suburban will be GREAT !...as long as the OP is willing to deal with an older vehicle...it is a truck, not a car in regards to longevity and its ability to serve

I have an even older 1996 K3500 Suburban with a big block 7.4L, 4.1's, F-60 option (ordered it and begets 1 ton snow plow front torsion bars...IIRC $68 bucks)

Towed a 8.5K boat from sea level to Lake Tahoe often. Big block up front and compound low 4x4 helps on slippery boat ramps

At about 170,000 VERY HARD miles. Don't tow much anymore (am 72 soon) and mainly my sleeper hot rod.

Soon, will start rebuilding, modifying, etc. If interested, let me know and I'll post my list of things that will turn my 4L80E into an 8 speed with double OD and 5.38 Detroit locker's in the diffs

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'm pretty sure you're in love with a big block Sub on one hand and the other hand is looking at the economics of it and therefore your brain is stuck in the middle.
A 8.1 burb, aside from being guaranteed to be old regardless of condition and whatever comes with a 15 year old truck, is about the poorest choice for a kid carrier, from an economical standpoint as you could get. And they are somewhere between mediocre and suck for towing heavy. The pickups were considerably better because they didn't get saddled with the glorified 4L80 (85) trans.
Besides, I though you had the SUV department covered?
$6k or whatever your budget is, is guaranteed to buy you a piece of ____ with 250k miles on it anyway, if your talking fullsize crew cab pickups or SUVs. So no upgrade from your Envoy that you said is long in the tooth already too.

As far as towing the boat goes, again, pretty much any fullsize truck or SUV (add airbags or helpers as needed) will do what you want to do with the boat.

So, either a beater with a heater for a boat tow pig. (Or a really nice older 3/4 - 1 ton truck for $3-5k.)
Or a nicer, newer, family friendly _______ (insert whatever crew cab pickup you like, 1/2 ton or bigger) will do all the soccer mom, road trip and local boat towing you need all wrapped up in one vehicle.

BTW, I just saw the perfect weekend cruiser, lumberyard getter, boat tow-er for sale out here. Guy has an old '90ish F250 4x4 perfect shape, original grampa owned looking reg cab truck. It's sweet! $3500 I think he was asking.

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Still looking at the 8.1 Burb/Yukon, found quite a few but naturally scattered across the nation.

I didn't think the 3:73 took such a hit with regards to the tow rating...10,300 lbs down from 12,000 lbs, still very respectable

They are out there, just looking for a good copy.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
One advantage with a Suburban that my brother has taken advantage of for decades. If he bought a 3/4 ton truck to move all the cars he has hauled for his business would need company name lettered on to be legal then had to deal with all the reporting, apportioned plates, DOT numbers, log book, whatever. Old 'burb? 3/4 ton passenger car...

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Been going back and forth on this, found a cherry 2003 8.1 burb but has been recently sold...they're definitely out there, just might have to travel.

The 2500 Sierra is still a very viable option. We have a 2014 Highlander and my Envoy so the SUV department is covered. I could always use a p/u truck and maybe a well cared for LBZ might be the wiser choice in terms of functionality and highway MPG.

I don't plan on turning up the power on a 6.6, and if so, maybe 100 HP but would be more concerned on gaining a MPG or 2. Pulling a 16' car hauler (with vehicle) with a 6.0 Excursion spoiled me the first time we used it....hard to pry away from a diesel after that.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmcman wrote:
No Cracker Jack box CDL's here....In Va it's a different story, you're not going to lose a CDL over an overweight ticket, just was looking to avoid the confrontation altogether.

I'm in an area where scale bypassing is regular so there's always eyes out and brake checks all the time...would be just my luck the day I wanted to take a chance.

My question is does the GCWR change from engine to engine or just the recommended tow rating based on engine? Can the platform handle the weight even if the motor is weaker is what I'm trying to say.

If I took a 6.0 2500 burb and put a duramax/allison in, then my rating would change based on power, but what about legal GCWR?

I had to study the book to get my CDL, but that was years ago. And even before CDL was required, I was setting up truck/trailer combinations to haul highest payload possible.
Mid '80s bought some old Ford freight tractors, 12 frt, 20 rear axles. Parted out some old Ford trucks. Extended and doubled frame, replaced 12 with 18, 20 with 44s. About all I used of tractors was engine, cab and VIN. A "cop" (hired by town just to harass trucks) saw the GCVWR 80,000 and the BOL stated 110,000. He got excited started writing tickets. By the time I got to court for the first handful, I had over 40 tickets. Paid lawyer to have the judge explain to Barney I was breaking no laws, unless he could show a scale ticket listing my axle weights, compared to the tire rating or 22,400 lb legal limit.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
twodownzero wrote:
What's wrong with the 2500 Suburban?

Which side of the fence you on? Guaranteed a 5-1/2 ton boat exceeds some limit or rating that you preach as gospel to not ever exceed.

OP, for the use you finally mentioned, anything with a trailer hitch and some airbags if it sags too much will be fine.