cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back East on US2

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly its time to turn around and head back east. Seems daughter really wants me at her wedding in Richmond VA.

We prefer back roads over Interstates when it makes sense. Thoroughly enjoyed our westward journey on US 36.

Planning to do US 2 eastbound. I have reservations in Medora ND at the Roosevelt NP. Welcome advice from there. My thinking is:

- from Medora go north to US2 somewhere and go east on it.
- ? in Watersweet WI stay on 2 or go north to US41?
- cross over Make Mich
- ? US131 south or take I75 then US23 near Flint?
- then I90/76 etc to Richmond, VA

Critique? Thanks much in advance.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
6 REPLIES 6

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
Thanks all. I have a plan that I like thanks to another poster. Will take 31 south to Indianapolis/Louisville then I64 east to Richmond. Simple but let's us see new country side.

Think you are making a good choice - we have found that for "MY" sanity once we get east of the Mississippi we have to slow down and take the Worn out Interstates or we just eat up the time sitting at lights, not to mention wear out the breaks stopping every few feet. (Slight exaggeration ....but)

Seemed like a great trip that will be well rewarded by a Great Celebration at the Daughter's Wedding.

Couple of points on the Wedding - Take Pictures, lots of pictures, with your own camera - Drink less and try to remember more - .. when it is over you will likely find you have only talked to Half the people you wanted to and without the Pictures the memory will blur into a fog.

The trip to Richmond is likely the Biggest memory of this Summer so rest up and Enjoy.

Congratulations.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I have a plan that I like thanks to another poster. Will take 31 south to Indianapolis/Louisville then I64 east to Richmond. Simple but let's us see new country side.
Hickory, NC

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me wanting the fastest way south in Mi I would use I-75 to U.S.127. 127 to I-96, 96 to U.S.23. This route would keep you away from Saginaw, Flint and Detroit. When you reach Toledo chose your route home

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Not sure I follow. Does using RT. 2 prevent you going to your daughter's wedding(that's big)? No doubt it wouldn't be most direct route. We like 2 a lot and have used it many times to Glacier NP. So head east in time to do both. Also, US 20 is a good way east and not as far north as 2.

Was kidding about the wedding. Will be there. Want to use 2. Just doing a sanity check esp when we turn south through Michigan.
Hickory, NC

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I follow. Does using RT. 2 prevent you going to your daughter's wedding(that's big)? No doubt it wouldn't be most direct route. We like 2 a lot and have used it many times to Glacier NP. So head east in time to do both. Also, US 20 is a good way east and not as far north as 2.
Jayco-noslide

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
131 south versus 75. Less traffic. I like Route 2 across into Ohio and beyond. 2 is scenic and again, traffic is lighter.

All depends on how much 'rubberneck' time you have.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB