Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Gas stations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas stations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 57' long rig you have to ask yourself, "What would a (long haul) trucker do?" Then, . . . . do that. Plan your fuel stops. Google maps (in satellite mode) is your friend.

When I got my pilots license, I quickly realized, hey Chum lee, a regular gas station just isn't going to work with a 42' wingspan, even if I'm only 22' long.

Chum lee

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

I just came down I-75 through MI, OH, KY and TN and OH seems to be the worst. One exit I had tried 3 stations and had to get back on 75 and go to another exit. I disagree that "most PFJ's have dedicated RV lanes, I have seen only one in my travels. I have heard that Love's had dedicated lanes but the ones I tried, 2 of them, this trip didn't.

I can agree that the secondary roads are more accommodating in gas station offerings. I can maneuver my rig just fine too thank you. I just find it irritating that gas stations can't bring themselves to provide just 1 pump to accommodate the RV community no matter what the numbers are.

In the end the numbers pay the bills. Data and demographics matter.
If there were enough RV'ers to generate more profit and warrant a change you would see dedicated pumps. Unfortunately there are not enough RV'ers to pay for that dedicated pump.
Businesses that ignore their own data and make decisions no matter what the numbers say don't last long.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

campinginthewoods

Central ILL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our local mobil gas station was built about 5 years ago and they have 20 gas pumps in the front 2 e 85 and one auto diesel and off to the side another 6 trucker diesel pumps with the outer pump having auto diesel and gas!! Sadly almost everyday I see pickups and trailers,horse trailers,travel trailers,5vers and motorhomes using the front pumps despite signs directing to the outside pumps. I think its more the mentality of thats for the big rigs. I do see some that figure it out and I talk to some and tell them about it and most are greatful as 3 weekends a mont the a local horse shows and alot of traffic comes thru the town to get to the venue. And when I travel I have had a few tight spots but Ive always gotten in and out. And a few I couldn't believe I did LOL

"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

Why are major gas station operators neglecting the huge market of RVers? Even new stations being built neglect to put in RV lanes that offer both diesel and gasoline. Last trip I pulled into 2 Love's and could not fit in either, had to maneuver around to get to an exit without being able to get gas. It seems that all the truck lanes only offer diesel. Pilot/Flying J are as bad or worse. I am 57 ft. long when attached to my TT and it is a challenge to say the least to find a station I can fit into and out of. It makes no sense to me the fueling companies would neglect this large portion of customers.

Because it is not. Otherwise the fuel stations would exploit this "large" market for profit.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]

Gas stations are built for GENERAL PUBLIC USE.

Often the chunk of land they have is insanely expensive and often very restricted in size and access roads in and out. Often the township/city may have additional requirements and restrictions which may limit the design/layout of the station.

Darn hard to justify buying 40 acres of land just so you can get your oversized "land yachts" in and out..

Don't like the stations layout and size, MOVE ON, you WILL find another one that can accommodate your oversized rig.

Can't find what suits you? Then quit whining and put all of your money into building the ideal gas station "Empire" for oversized RVs and see just how much money you bleed..

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

I just came down I-75 through MI, OH, KY and TN and OH seems to be the worst. One exit I had tried 3 stations and had to get back on 75 and go to another exit. I disagree that "most PFJ's have dedicated RV lanes, I have seen only one in my travels. I have heard that Love's had dedicated lanes but the ones I tried, 2 of them, this trip didn't.

I can agree that the secondary roads are more accommodating in gas station offerings. I can maneuver my rig just fine too thank you. I just find it irritating that gas stations can't bring themselves to provide just 1 pump to accommodate the RV community no matter what the numbers are.

I bet this was the same exit south of Toledo, we tried to get diesel.One station we could hve gotten into except for one car in the way.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What gets me is WalMart. When we stop we generally spend two or three hundred dollars on provisions etc yet only I can think of can we get into to fuel our diesel MH in Decateur ,Indiana. And they pile, in the spring tons of fertilizer and things so it seems they want to block RVs from filling up there. In the early am or late is when we fill after leaving the factory.
Many more RVers would fill up...and buy a lot more groceries etc if they were welcomed. Clearly they let those they lease pr coop space for the fuel stations to keep put RVs.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

What gets me is WalMart. When we stop we generally spend two or three hundred dollars on provisions etc yet only I can think of can we get into to fuel our diesel MH in Decateur ,Indiana. And they pile, in the spring tons of fertilizer and things so it seems they want to block RVs from filling up there. In the early am or late is when we fill after leaving the factory.
Many more RVers would fill up...and buy a lot more groceries etc if they were welcomed. Clearly they let those they lease pr coop space for the fuel stations to keep put RVs.

I am not sure what you are trying to say in that last sentence. But as far as RV'ers spending money. People in regular vehicles spend just as much as someone in a RV. The whole "you lost my business because x" is no different than stating I pay your salary to the the police officer that pulled you over for speeding. Neither cares as there are plenty of consumers or speeders to keep everyone busy and profitable.

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

7 yrs FTng...traveling all over the USA on secondary/back roads fueling up at every Mom/Pop, Co-OP, 2 pump, Multi-pump stations in all kinds of small towns.

Had to back out of a couple but so what....got fuel
They got fuel == I need fuel -- I'm going to get fueled.
Simple

Been in tighter/harder to maneuver CGs then any service station.

Go to a large parking lot and Practice maneuvering you truck/trailer.

You hit the nail on the head with this

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the newer stations along the interstate are easy to get in and out of. Most cater to semi's as well and have wide drives and a multitude of pumps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas stations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS