Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bike rack on Motorhome ladder
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Bike rack on Motorhome ladder

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timothy2001 wrote:

way2roll wrote:

People do it, I wouldn't. As a cyclist my bikes can be fairly expensive. I would think they would end up scratched up, not to mention the wear and tear and possible separation of the ladder from the MH.

You mention your receiver is in use, but we tow a car and use a dual hitch receiver with a hitch mounted swagman bike rack.

Been using this setup for years with no issues.

dual hitch receiver.

Thanks for all,of the input and I have ruled out the ladder rack.

That dual receiver has a capacity of 4000 lbs, your toad or trailer must be lighter?

You can get a beefier one - that was just an example. I think the one I use to tow our CRV is 5000. ( I can't tow more than that anyway).

Timothy2001

Full Timing for Now

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GVW of the car is 5000 and the trailer empty is 2210 so it’s a load. I have pulled a toad before but new to trailering. Hitch is rated at 10k lbs.

2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timothy2001 wrote:

GVW of the car is 5000 and the trailer empty is 2210 so it’s a load. I have pulled a toad before but new to trailering. Hitch is rated at 10k lbs.

this one has a 10,000 lb capacity. I am sure there are others.

receiver

tommy g

West Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Timothy2001 wrote:

this one has a 10,000 lb capacity. I am sure there are others.

receiver
That's the one I use and the 4" drop is perfect for my Accord.

1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your profile shows you have a large DP, I would store them in your pass tru basement storage areas. I store two bikes this way by removing the front wheel and seat. If my GS comes with us the third bike goes in the truck of the tow car. If you ever had to replace the ladder attach points you will see why hanging the bikes off the ladder is not a good idea because these attach points rust over time and get loose. A static load of stepping on the ladder is much different than a dynamic load of two bikes bouncing up and down over hundreds of miles of travel.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

A static load of stepping on the ladder is much different than a dynamic load of two bikes bouncing up and down over hundreds of miles of travel.
Quite amazing therefore that I carried two bikes over 30K miles on my ladder. The bigger concern was lifting the bikes to the the rack when it is mounted high enough for the bikes to clear the bumper. Since we downsized and don't need to tow a vehicle I switched to a Yakima FullSwing receiver rack so I have easy access to the rear doors of our coach.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Quite amazing therefore that I carried two bikes over 30K miles on my ladder. Dave

>20,000 on mine. A single bike on the swing arm type carrier. If a 20 pound bike is damaging the rig where the ladder mounts that's a problem with the rig.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Gjac wrote:

A static load of stepping on the ladder is much different than a dynamic load of two bikes bouncing up and down over hundreds of miles of travel.
Quite amazing therefore that I carried two bikes over 30K miles on my ladder. The bigger concern was lifting the bikes to the the rack when it is mounted high enough for the bikes to clear the bumper. Since we downsized and don't need to tow a vehicle I switched to a Yakima FullSwing receiver rack so I have easy access to the rear doors of our coach.

Dave
Your MH is a 2018 and new, your ladder mounts never had a chance to rust. Mine was 20 years old when I had to replace my mounts. They were just star inserts and mostly rusted away. My friend has the same year MH as I, a Newmar Dutch Star and never had to replace his yet maybe they were sealed better against water intrusion. His also had 6 mounts mine only 4. It is not the static weight of the bike but the G force when hitting pot holes that may be 10-15 times that load. That is why I think it safer to store them in the basement storage and to keep them out of the rain.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Your MH is a 2018 and new, your ladder mounts never had a chance to rust. M.
i think if you had read my entire post you would see that my 2018 uses a receiver hitch. I carried bikes on a ladder on my Country Coach which was 5 years old when I bought it and then put on 30k miles.

I do agree that storing them inside is best. On our boat we had folding bikes we stored in the laz.

Dave

* This post was edited 07/24/19 04:02pm by magicbus *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Bike rack on Motorhome ladder
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.