cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low power home UPS

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a UPS device I can plug into my home router that has just enough power/smarts to send an email or SMS message before it dies and another one when power is restored. There are a few home alarm systems that will use cell service to send text but they seem to be add-on components to alarm systems and generally don't support Canadian cell providers (even presuming there wasn't a monthly fee).

Seems like something that could be built cheap.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
there ought to be lots of things but i agree it would be nice...

as i see it your options are;

- keep looking. if you find your holy grail pls share with the class.
- build something. and pls share that with the class as well
- bite the bullet and get a smart ups
- none of the above. status quo is always an option.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Right, that's my original point, you can (have to) spend hundreds or build something. There should be a $50 solution, using scaled down hardware a simple battery backup powerbar with an android or Raspberry Pi app. There seems to be a market for it.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mcewena wrote:
Healeyman wrote:
mcewena wrote:
I'm looking for a UPS device I can plug into my home router that has just enough power/smarts to send an email or SMS message before it dies and another one when power is restored.

I just checked Craigslist.com, Dallas (were I live) and found 5 of them for sale. Priced $50 - $150. Check out your local craigslist.

I have had one in-line since the 90s. If/When the power goes out, mine will power the laptop for 2-3 hours and a string of LED lights (probably) for months.

Tim

Right but how does the laptop then remotely alert you that it's on battery power?

it doesnโ€™t, the SmartUPS does. the UPS models referenced above are not SmartUPS models. SmartUPS machines are expensive. APC has 3-models ranging from $280-$450. i found one on APCโ€™s website and all three on Amazon.

one of APCโ€™s SmartUPS models.

All of APCโ€™s SmartUPS models.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
APC has several Smart UPS with optional network management cards that will do what you want without an attached computer but it will cost you big $. The network management card connects directly to your router and has its own built in email client with a web interface for configuration.

Yes there are several expensive ways to solve this problem, looking for an inexpensive one.

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
mcewena wrote:
I'm looking for a UPS device I can plug into my home router that has just enough power/smarts to send an email or SMS message before it dies and another one when power is restored.

I just checked Craigslist.com, Dallas (were I live) and found 5 of them for sale. Priced $50 - $150. Check out your local craigslist.

I have had one in-line since the 90s. If/When the power goes out, mine will power the laptop for 2-3 hours and a string of LED lights (probably) for months.

Tim

Right but how does the laptop then remotely alert you that it's on battery power?

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
APC has several Smart UPS with optional network management cards that will do what you want without an attached computer but it will cost you big $. The network management card connects directly to your router and has its own built in email client with a web interface for configuration.
Larry

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
mcewena wrote:

Tim

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
You could use an Arduino - and have it use either an external cell phone (an old one) or a GSM module that comes with it - so that when the AC power is lost, the UPS would hold while the arduino continues to run and sends out a text message (SMS) that the power is down.

There are UPS's that have USB connectors that close or send a message that power is lost - but you'd need to find one that has software already for the Arduino.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
An example of something that will last long enough to send your message. One side for UPS and router the other side for a smart alert which is not UPS protected.

your link is for an RV resort. ????
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
An example of something that will last long enough to send your message. One side for UPS and router the other side for a smart alert which is not UPS protected.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mcewena wrote:
I'm looking for a UPS device I can plug into my home router that has just enough power/smarts to send an email or SMS message before it dies and another one when power is restored. There are a few home alarm systems that will use cell service to send text but they seem to be add-on components to alarm systems and generally don't support Canadian cell providers (even presuming there wasn't a monthly fee).

Seems like something that could be built cheap.

Thanks

how about a traditional UPS and smart outlet or plug? plug the router into the UPS and the UPS into a smart outlet or plug. when you lose commercial power the router stays up via the UPS and the smart plug/outlet sends a text or email.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
What about a small LED lamp before the UPS and a cheap webcam after the UPS? Light goes off, webcam sends message.

How does the webcam send a message w/o power for your router, monthly cell phone plan?

It seems like something that could be simply solved with an android or Pi box. Short term UPS for the modem/router and an android device (ie old phone w/o sim) on your home wifi plugged directly into the wall, when android detects it's been unplugged, send an email, send another one when it's back on power.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar wish, found records of a no longer made device, nothing currently commercially available.

You could do it with a smart UPS tied to a computer but thatโ€™s a big investment.

What about a small LED lamp before the UPS and a cheap webcam after the UPS? Light goes off, webcam sends message. If you have an old smart phone laying around there are apps that will do it also.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...