Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Low power home UPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Low power home UPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mcewena

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking for a UPS device I can plug into my home router that has just enough power/smarts to send an email or SMS message before it dies and another one when power is restored. There are a few home alarm systems that will use cell service to send text but they seem to be add-on components to alarm systems and generally don't support Canadian cell providers (even presuming there wasn't a monthly fee).

Seems like something that could be built cheap.

Thanks

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar wish, found records of a no longer made device, nothing currently commercially available.

You could do it with a smart UPS tied to a computer but that’s a big investment.

What about a small LED lamp before the UPS and a cheap webcam after the UPS? Light goes off, webcam sends message. If you have an old smart phone laying around there are apps that will do it also.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

mcewena

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

What about a small LED lamp before the UPS and a cheap webcam after the UPS? Light goes off, webcam sends message.

How does the webcam send a message w/o power for your router, monthly cell phone plan?

It seems like something that could be simply solved with an android or Pi box. Short term UPS for the modem/router and an android device (ie old phone w/o sim) on your home wifi plugged directly into the wall, when android detects it's been unplugged, send an email, send another one when it's back on power.

* This post was edited 07/22/19 12:11pm by mcewena *

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mcewena wrote:

I'm looking for a UPS device I can plug into my home router that has just enough power/smarts to send an email or SMS message before it dies and another one when power is restored. There are a few home alarm systems that will use cell service to send text but they seem to be add-on components to alarm systems and generally don't support Canadian cell providers (even presuming there wasn't a monthly fee).

Seems like something that could be built cheap.

Thanks

how about a traditional UPS and smart outlet or plug? plug the router into the UPS and the UPS into a smart outlet or plug. when you lose commercial power the router stays up via the UPS and the smart plug/outlet sends a text or email.

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Heisenberg

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An example of something that will last long enough to send your message. One side for UPS and router the other side for a smart alert which is not UPS protected.

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heisenberg wrote:

An example of something that will last long enough to send your message. One side for UPS and router the other side for a smart alert which is not UPS protected.

your link is for an RV resort. ????

jodeb720

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could use an Arduino - and have it use either an external cell phone (an old one) or a GSM module that comes with it - so that when the AC power is lost, the UPS would hold while the arduino continues to run and sends out a text message (SMS) that the power is down.

There are UPS's that have USB connectors that close or send a message that power is lost - but you'd need to find one that has software already for the Arduino.

Healeyman

Carrollton, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mcewena wrote:

I'm looking for a UPS device I can plug into my home router that has just enough power/smarts to send an email or SMS message before it dies and another one when power is restored.

I just checked Craigslist.com, Dallas (were I live) and found 5 of them for sale. Priced $50 - $150. Check out your local craigslist.

I have had one in-line since the 90s. If/When the power goes out, mine will power the laptop for 2-3 hours and a string of LED lights (probably) for months.

Tim

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APC has several Smart UPS with optional network management cards that will do what you want without an attached computer but it will cost you big $. The network management card connects directly to your router and has its own built in email client with a web interface for configuration.

Larry

mcewena

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Healeyman wrote:

mcewena wrote:

I'm looking for a UPS device I can plug into my home router that has just enough power/smarts to send an email or SMS message before it dies and another one when power is restored.

I just checked Craigslist.com, Dallas (were I live) and found 5 of them for sale. Priced $50 - $150. Check out your local craigslist.

I have had one in-line since the 90s. If/When the power goes out, mine will power the laptop for 2-3 hours and a string of LED lights (probably) for months.

Tim

Right but how does the laptop then remotely alert you that it's on battery power?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Low power home UPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS