cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running only off of onboard tank

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reading people experiences with water pressure surges got me thinking about running only off onboard tank. Campground I parked at, left me 10' short of attaching to the trailer, but could reach onboard tank.

also took note, the "host" a traveling full timer, kept his water turned off, along with a higher quality pressure regulator AND and pressure gauge on his water line.

It was actually fine, and gave me a good idea on when I needed to dump grey tank. As the fresh water tank was run down, grey tank needed to be dumped ๐Ÿ™‚

Have ordered an accumulator.
15 REPLIES 15

bobm253
Explorer
Explorer
Only use water from my onboard tank. Use the campground water to refill tank only. We drink and cook with filtered water brought from home or bought on the road.

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
When we were starting out we had a major leak, luckily the camper stayed dry. We were using one of those cheap pressure regulators, the ones that come free in your starter kit.

We were sitting outside when my wife said she heard water. Walked around back and there is a geyser coming out of the outside shower. cold water knob was about six feet away. No water that night capped of the line in the morning.

Since then I've used a Watts house style regulator.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
The only time I hook to shore water is when we are hosting one of the teenage granddaughters. (That is also the only time I stay hooked to the sewer and leave the grey valve open.)

AFTER my youngest daughter left the house, I installed on demand hot water ๐Ÿ™‚ Her shower lasted as long as the 40 gallon hot water tank.

I hope you are talking about your S&B house. I shudder at the thought of an RV with a 40 gallon hot water tank.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting stuff. Heading out to the river now where my friend leaves her trailer. Wouldn't be surprised if she leaves the water on 24/7 with no regulator at all.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i fill fresh tank about 1/2 full before we leave home to use on bathroom breaks on the road. when we get to campsite i hook up to campground water with pressure regulator. i have a fresh tank/city water lever on my water hook on TT. i finish filling up fresh tank, turn off campground spigot valve. leave hose connected to TT so i can refill if needed and use fresh tank for our water supply. i have found the water pump gives us better pressure for taking showers than campground water. when we go to bed, and if we leave TT, i turn off water pump so no bad surprises with leak while we sleep or are gone for awhile. works for us. if there is a sudden leak with pump on we will hear it.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
The only time I hook to shore water is when we are hosting one of the teenage granddaughters. (That is also the only time I stay hooked to the sewer and leave the grey valve open.)

AFTER my youngest daughter left the house, I installed on demand hot water ๐Ÿ™‚ Her shower lasted as long as the 40 gallon hot water tank.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to use regulators (one park I stay at hits 120PSI Plus from time to time) but they also way over chlorinated the water so I started filling on board (A short time without pressure and the excess bleach dissipates)

Have ever since... Good results.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
We always run off of tank also. For all the reasons mentioned above. When we still had a herd of kids around then I would use full hookups once settled for the night but I always shut the water off at night for the reasons mentioned above also.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been using tank/pump exclusively since 2008 due to MAJOR flood while connected to city water with regulator in service.
While sleeping a $0.50 fitting gave way...water ran all night long. $6000+ repairs/costs and 2 weeks out of our lives (we were FTng) PITA!

Flip of a switch and pump is OFF when we go to bed, when we go outside/leave etc.
Consistent pressure/flow regardless of where we go

Refill tank as needed and top off before we go.

ONLY time we needs to be 'conservative' is when boondocking
If at a FHU CG Site...use the pump---let the water run. Fill tank while dumping waste tanks.
It's NOT complicated and after having an indoor swimming pool it eases ones mind.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
One nice thing about being "unplugged" from city water is as long as you keep your water pump off you don't have to worry about internal water leaks springing up on you while you are away or asleep.

About the only benefit to full hookups for me is you don't have to be as stingy with the water when showering.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Running from tank when on a water site is a viable option at times for many reasons.
I have done it on occasion , but I prefer to use CG water most of the time
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We also often use the tank/pump. We almost always drive with a full fresh water IF it's good tasting water and hence no concern about the next water for drinking.

Yes we drink water from the tank and never had a problem in 30 years likely do to the occasional treated city water.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I don't necessarily use the fresh water tank all the time, but there's always fresh water in it. Couple of times, there was a problem with the Campground water so we used the onboard tank, and if we leave the RV for any length of time and I am hooked to water, I shut off the water and even shut my secondary shut off at my 45degree brass fitting inline at my water filter
Proud father of a US Marine