cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ants

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure most of us full timers and others that spend a lot of time in RV's fight ants. My home base is in central Alabama and it seems no product or procedure will stop ants. My son in law owns a pest control company and the product he uses professionally only work so so. I treat my site, I treat around inside my rig, I leave no food or residue out anywhere at anytime, dishes are washed immediately after use, everything that touches the ground is sprayed before it enters my rig and the ground around where it touches, etc. We all know the routine. Well, I think I found an additional weapon in the anti ant arsenal.

I have always suspected ants were coming into my kitchen area through the drain even though I leave the gray tanks closed and with chemical in them at all times just like the black tank. I could never prove where they are coming from, but last week after washing up and cleaning the sink and counters I saw a couple of ants. I had used some LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner outside a little while earlier and the spray bottle was on the counter since I hadn't put it under the sink yet. So I picked it up and put one spray in the bottom of each sink and one on the counter and just let it dry. I haven't seen a single ant since and Awesome kills ants on contact instantly. Apparently the dried product keeps the ants away.

For whatever reason I have not had a single ant in over a week.

Yeah, I know Awesome comes under California's Proposition 65 warning, but I don't care since I don't live anywhere close to California.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010
12 REPLIES 12

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Alabama and MIssippi ants fall from the trees. Trust me on this.

I don't doubt that one bit.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have the little tiny aggrevating black "p" ants in SC. No matter what we do, they never stay gone long...
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Alabama and MIssippi ants fall from the trees. Trust me on this.
-jbh-

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scottiemom wrote:
We've never been disappointed with Terro. There are now different formulas for different species of ants. They feed on it and take it back to the nest, so you will continue to have ants for about 2-3 days, then you won't see any at all. They all travel back to the nest and poison the nest. The best thing is that they all go back, you don't find dead bodies laying around anywhere, they are just gone.

Dale
Actually, I did, fortunately, the dead were all around the trap opening, must've over eaten, or came back for seconds, the "new" ants were literally climbing over them to get to the "juice", but as you said, in 2 days they were gone. Great Stuff :B
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try Comet cleanser. We pulled into campground late one evening and as soon as we got out of the truckthe neighbor showed up with Comet, and said the ants were hell, and he'd get the comet down. He put it around the tires, hose, power cord, everything that touched the ground. Apparently they won't cross it.

There were ants everywhere at that campground, but none came I the camper. Every camper had the comet around it. The grocery store down the road had cases of it, and I hadn't seen Comet in years.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We've never been disappointed with Terro. There are now different formulas for different species of ants. They feed on it and take it back to the nest, so you will continue to have ants for about 2-3 days, then you won't see any at all. They all travel back to the nest and poison the nest. The best thing is that they all go back, you don't find dead bodies laying around anywhere, they are just gone.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

JosephBailey
Explorer
Explorer
The ants are small creature, but harm humans and their belongings. There are varieties of ants and each have their own property, some harm the humans and some cause damage to the things. For protection it is important to eliminate them, for this call Pest Control Danbury CT in Danbury CT area. I heard they provide the best service.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use this, it doesn't keep them out, but once they find it, they don't last long, I've seen them climbing over their own dead to get to the stuff.https://www.target.com/p/terro-ant-killer-indoor-liquid-ant-baits-6-pack/-/A-15024212?sid=2296S&ref=...
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
They fall from the trees. Seriously.
-jbh-

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
OK, found the MDS:

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/60/606c762b-a9a2-4d09-abf7-0c7ca8c1e258.pdf

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
So what's in it? All the advertising is about whats NOT in it. Yes I see its "A unique blend of proprietary ingredients" but theres a MDS on it somewhere.

And the real question is How Long will the effect last? Let us know again when you see an ant or 2 where you know you had previously sprayed.

dedmiston
edatlanta wrote:
Yeah, I know Awesome comes under California's Proposition 65 warning, but I don't care since I don't live anywhere close to California.

Is that how that works? You can only catch the cancer once you set foot in CA? :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230