Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dipping my toe in the Class C waters, Which one
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Dipping my toe in the Class C waters, Which one

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Quint Da Man

Peabody, MA

Full Member

Joined: 08/02/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/22/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As my wife and I gently glide into retirement years (3 yrs away)we are contemplating getting a Class C rig and trading in or selling the 5th wheel. For the next 3 years it will be weekend trips and vacations and when retired we will be heading out for 3 months or so at a time. Our thinking is something in the 32-36' range, probably buy used, no older then 4 years old, have a budget of about 100k plus or minus. But I know little about what are good rigs, rigs to stay away from etc. one model we are interested in is the Isata 5 36ds but our search is just beginning.

What are your opinions and insights on manufacturers and models we should consider or stay away from.


Thanks in advance


2020 Thor Quantum WS31
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar BX4370
Blue Ox Patriot II Brake BRK2016


Big Katuna

Deland, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/22/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking at Cs. We half time in a 2005 38 DP three slide we bought new. We had two gas As before that.

I want to change so we can go from 12’ high 30,000 pounds five steps in to 14000 pounds, 10’ tall and three steps in. I’m also over diesels and their complications.

Our must-haves are theater seating across from an electric fireplace with a big tv directly across from it. A washer dryer. An 80” bed. Full body paint. 2016 or newer when the six speed was introduced (Ford V10). I’d like the overhead to not be a bed but all storage. We also want a 22” buffet with a counter top with a swing up table and two chairs. The counter top lets you set a printer, electric coffee pot, etc.
Resin fridge and no oven.

Nobody makes this. The closest is a Coachman Leprecaun 311 FS.

Im resigned to a 16 or 17 with FBP. I’ll take it to a RV interior place and have the evil dinette converted to the fireplace tv buffet and close the overhead into storage.


My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

MDKMDK

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2008

View Profile



Posted: 07/22/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quint Da Man wrote:

As my wife and I gently glide into retirement years (3 yrs away)we are contemplating getting a Class C rig and trading in or selling the 5th wheel. For the next 3 years it will be weekend trips and vacations and when retired we will be heading out for 3 months or so at a time. Our thinking is something in the 32-36' range, probably buy used, no older then 4 years old, have a budget of about 100k plus or minus. But I know little about what are good rigs, rigs to stay away from etc. one model we are interested in is the Isata 5 36ds but our search is just beginning.

What are your opinions and insights on manufacturers and models we should consider or stay away from.


Thanks in advance

The Iasata 5 36DS is a Super C, aka a larger class C on a diesel truck chassis. They're interesting, and expensive. Not sure whether your budget can include even a 4 year old unit, but others will certainly chime in on that. They're like a diesel puller with a cab over bunk.


Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/22/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Quint Da Man wrote:

As my wife and I gently glide into retirement years (3 yrs away)we are contemplating getting a Class C rig and trading in or selling the 5th wheel. For the next 3 years it will be weekend trips and vacations and when retired we will be heading out for 3 months or so at a time. Our thinking is something in the 32-36' range, probably buy used, no older then 4 years old, have a budget of about 100k plus or minus. But I know little about what are good rigs, rigs to stay away from etc. one model we are interested in is the Isata 5 36ds but our search is just beginning.

What are your opinions and insights on manufacturers and models we should consider or stay away from.


Thanks in advance

The Iasata 5 36DS is a Super C, aka a larger class C on a diesel truck chassis. They're interesting, and expensive. Not sure whether your budget can include even a 4 year old unit, but others will certainly chime in on that. They're like a diesel puller with a cab over bunk.


I may be arguing semantics but I wouldn’t call an Isata 5 on a pick up chassis a Super C. No air suspension, no air brakes and not nearly as expensive as a Frightliner based unit. They are more expensive but not by much.

And yes I know some dealers call them Super Cs but they ain’t.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/22/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When reviewing the longer "C's" watch the wheelbases. Some have longer wheelbases with shorter rear overhangs.

MDKMDK

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2008

View Profile



Posted: 07/22/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Quint Da Man wrote:

As my wife and I gently glide into retirement years (3 yrs away)we are contemplating getting a Class C rig and trading in or selling the 5th wheel. For the next 3 years it will be weekend trips and vacations and when retired we will be heading out for 3 months or so at a time. Our thinking is something in the 32-36' range, probably buy used, no older then 4 years old, have a budget of about 100k plus or minus. But I know little about what are good rigs, rigs to stay away from etc. one model we are interested in is the Isata 5 36ds but our search is just beginning.

What are your opinions and insights on manufacturers and models we should consider or stay away from.


Thanks in advance

The Iasata 5 36DS is a Super C, aka a larger class C on a diesel truck chassis. They're interesting, and expensive. Not sure whether your budget can include even a 4 year old unit, but others will certainly chime in on that. They're like a diesel puller with a cab over bunk.


I may be arguing semantics but I wouldn’t call an Isata 5 on a pick up chassis a Super C. No air suspension, no air brakes and not nearly as expensive as a Frightliner based unit. They are more expensive but not by much.

And yes I know some dealers call them Super Cs but they ain’t.


Are they the same dealers that sell "Class B+" motorhomes? 'Cause there ain't no such thang, neither.
The 36DS uses a Ram 5500 chassis with a 6.7L Cummins diesel.
So, unless it's a Freightliner chassis, or a Ford F-550, or a GM 5500, it's not a Super C? C'mon.
Specs sound like a Super C....
https://dynamaxcorp.com/class-c-motorhomes/isata-5

It's included in articles about Super C's that I can find, that include the big 3, Jayco Seneca, REV Renegade, and Forest River Dynamax Isata.
Here's one.....
https://rv-pro.com/features/battle-super-c-s

If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck,

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 05/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/22/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are indeed looking for a C that size, it's a Super C indeed. Conventional C's use F450 chassis, and that has a limit of just over 14,000 pounds. Often weight and price determine quality. If a similar length unit is 3000 pounds lighter, well.... or if one is $30,000 cheaper, wellll. I like my Winnebago. They put in lots of features, cost more, and seem to be solid units. Fiberglass roof, one piece front and back caps, engine hot water heater, tank heaters. Write down length, slides, weight, caps, roof, price. For longer C's watch the available weight. Some of the longer units have very little carrying capacity left.


Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

Moderator

Joined: 06/05/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/23/19 03:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The numbers look very close to the Gulf Stream Endura 6340 I had. Great MH after I beefed up rear suspension and tires. Without much in it rear axle weights were over the 13,500 rating for the rear axle.
The 264" wheelbase may help with weight. The Endura was 239" with a shorter chassis cab.
Good luck with your search for a Super C.


2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum



rockhillmanor

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/06/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/23/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO just make sure it is on a E450SD chassis.


We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.


js218

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/23/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are looking at Super C check out Haulmark .


2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Dipping my toe in the Class C waters, Which one
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS