Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dipping my toe in the Class C waters, Which one
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Dipping my toe in the Class C waters, Which one

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been relatively happy with our Winnebago on the E450 chassis. It's held up pretty well for being 13 years old, and mechanically it's been no problem aside from a couple failed tires.

If we could roll back the clock, I don't think we'd have given up the fifth wheel and truck. I miss being able to drop the trailer and take the truck sightseeing or shopping, and towing a dinghy has its own costs and challenges.

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Quint Da Man

Peabody, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your input.

So another model we are very interested in that is not in the super C catorgory is the Thor Quantum WS31 any thoughts on this unit?

Thanks again

2020 Thor Quantum WS31
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar BX4370
Blue Ox Patriot II Brake BRK2016

Quint Da Man

Peabody, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

Been relatively happy with our Winnebago on the E450 chassis. It's held up pretty well for being 13 years old, and mechanically it's been no problem aside from a couple failed tires.

If we could roll back the clock, I don't think we'd have given up the fifth wheel and truck. I miss being able to drop the trailer and take the truck sightseeing or shopping, and towing a dinghy has its own costs and challenges.

Hey lane hog I sort of feel the same way about the 5th wheel at this point lol. I don't want to be lugging around this huge trailer behind me all the time and would rather tool around in a jeep to do all you mentioned than a big truck.

But to each his own and both ways have there merits and maybe after a few years I'll feel the same way. Only time will tell.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give the Leprechaun 319 MB a look see. Same wheelbase with larger holding tanks.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 2400 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

jimx200

yard

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just purchased a new Class C Winnebago after looking at 3-4 brands. Winnebago build quality is a definite step up when you start looking closely. We looked at two brands under Thor name..big pass!

Quint Da Man

Peabody, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimx200 wrote:

We just purchased a new Class C Winnebago after looking at 3-4 brands. Winnebago build quality is a definite step up when you start looking closely. We looked at two brands under Thor name..big pass!

Did you look at the Thor Quantum line?

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I may be arguing semantics but I wouldn’t call an Isata 5 on a pick up chassis a Super C. No air suspension, no air brakes and not nearly as expensive as a Frightliner based unit. They are more expensive but not by much.

And yes I know some dealers call them Super Cs but they ain’t.

"
Agreed, there are really two classes of "Super Cs", the ones built on the 550/5500 pickup truck type cab/chassis, and the ones built on "real" trucks, the class 8 trucks with air brakes and GCWRs of 80,000 lbs or more.

Quint Da Man

Peabody, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So much for a discussion on the original post lol

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quint Da Man,

I've been letting others respond to this thread, but all I would like to suggest to you is that for your intended purposes, and especially if you're even remotely considering some of the "Super C's" mentioned, I think you owe it to yourself to check out Class A rigs. Depending upon your preferences, you should have lots to choose from in both gas and diesel models, and should be able to stay within your budget. Well, the diesels you'd most likely have to go with something a bit older than your stated preference.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Generally speaking the Class A will give you more livable space inside for any given length, usually better exterior storage and larger holding tanks the E-450 based C's. However, if you are looking at the Super C's, that probably won't be the case.

The important thing is to investigate all of the possibilities and do your research BEFORE you buy. I'd recommend going to RVTrader.com to get an idea as to what you can get for your money.

Good Luck making your decision,

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (22-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (17), 2 boys (19 & 16).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Dipping my toe in the Class C waters, Which one
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.