cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic AC compressor

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our bedroom AC unit when you first turn it on, you can hear it click and the fan starts, then it seems like it lugs down trying to start the compressor. It will then run for about 3 mins and then makes a very loud noise. I took the top cover off and cleaned all around, even brushing the fins with a tool. Had my wife turn it on with me on the roof and the noise is clearly coming from the compressor. I read something about a "kick-start" or "hot start" option for compressors and I wanted to get your opinions. I'm on the house hookup with a dedicated circuit and surge/drop protector, power is not the issue. It happens at 72 or 95 degrees outside. Yes it's out of warranty by a few months. Thanks in advance for reading all the way through.
26 REPLIES 26

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The compressor is going bad. Replace the entire unit. The 15K unit is a direct replacement for the 13.5K unit. Just bolt it down and connect the same wires.

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys. That was all I could think of also. And DFord is correct, a new upper unit is about the same pricing. Next question, can I install the 15Kbtu in place of our 13.5Kbtu; without making any electrical changes?

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
It's just a guess on my part (but I've been servicing HVAC/R equipment for over 50 years) that the compressor is going bad. According to the video, that sound is coming from inside the compressor. If it is, there's no way to fix it without replacing the compressor. Before you do that, compare the price of replacing the compressor with the cost of replacing the whole unit.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like after running for a bit the compressor then seized up.

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
You guys have any suggestions after seeing the video?

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dometic RV AC noise after starting

So, this is what it sounds like.

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
And right back where I started. Ran well off/on the first night and part of the next day. Then it started making the same noise as before.

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, the part came in and after installing; it seems to have helped the issue. Multiple startups and no more noises. It's been running about 5 hrs now and all is good. I did capture video of the unit before the fix and I'll see if I can post. Thanks for all the input.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
LittleBill wrote:
I love how 6 people recommended hard start kits...

how exactly does this fix the problem of it running fine then in 3 minutes a loud bang?

the unit obviously has issues.

Good point.. The loud "bang" might be the compressor shutting down Sometimes they can be noisy but on A/c's. that is ..... Rare
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, my part was on back-order and just came in today. I'll be installing tonight and see if there is any difference.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
larry cad wrote:
LittleBill wrote:

how exactly does this fix the problem of it running fine then in 3 minutes a loud bang?

Guess I missed the part about a "loud bang". Just went back to the OP and guess what? I missed it again. Maybe you can point out to me where it is??? Or maybe you can point out to the six of us where it is?

He stated loud noise, not a loud Bang. Noise===bang same thing:h Doug

Doug, you are correct, the OP stated "loud noise", is this post it was translated to loud bang. Subtle difference but significant.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
larry cad wrote:
LittleBill wrote:

Guess I missed the part about a "loud bang". Just went back to the OP and guess what? I missed it again. Maybe you can point out to me where it is??? Or maybe you can point out to the six of us where it is?

He stated loud noise, not a loud Bang. Noise===bang same thing:h Doug

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to remove the old start kit components before installing the replacement parts or else that will cause more problems.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System