Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: towing with dually and WDH
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> towing with dually and WDH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 3500 dodge dually and going to pick up a trailer, Camplite, with 400 lb tongue weight. I called hitching post and they told me the dodge won't even know it's back there. I was concerned about sway but guess from what I am told we are going to be good. We have a TC now and thinking of going back to a TT. Age and decreasing our toys plus doing more camping instead of traveling. We shall see if I can handle the TT like I can the TC. I don't have any problem towing with the TC either. The idea of getting rid of our TC is giving me the creeps. LOL!

Let me add we have a torklift superhitch and use a torklift truss while towing the motorcycle trailer.

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson, recently added a 2016 Livin Lite 21RBS travel trailer. No Wood!No Rot!

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a dually, WD is not generally needed until you get over about 30' overall length. And even then, it's more of a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have". Unless you you want to pull the TT behind your truck camper on an extension. Then it would be needed.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

On a dually, WD is not generally needed until you get over about 30' overall length. And even then, it's more of a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have". Unless you you want to pull the TT behind your truck camper on an extension. Then it would be needed.

A weight distributing hitch is needed for all trailers over 5k pounds unless your truck is equipped with a hitch rated for a higher weight carrying than that. If your truck has a class V hitch, it may be rated higher than that.

WD does not assist with sway, OP, if you were worried about sway (which you shouldn't be given that trailer, if loaded correctly and towed level), WD would not help with that. Sway control is separate from WD and can be run with or without WD.

I nearly always use WD.

I never use sway control.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

Sway control is separate from WD and can be run with or without WD.

Mine is integral part of the WD "system".

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you have a SuperHitch, you may find it is easier to tow in the lower receiver to get level with the trailer. You will not need a WDH for such little tongue weight and I doubt your front end will unload much. If you get sway, it most likely due to to lack of tongue weight. Either drop the tongue down slightly or rearrange your load in the trailer toward the front.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

A weight distributing hitch is needed for all trailers over 5k pounds unless your truck is equipped with a hitch rated for a higher weight carrying than that. If your truck has a class V hitch, it may be rated higher than that.

Every modern dually has a hitch receiver rated for weight carrying much higher than that.

The OP's Torklift Superhitch is rated for 1,700 pounds tongue weight, weight carrying.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Load the trailer so you have about 15% to 20% tongue weight and forget the WDH. It won't sway either with that much tongue weight and your dually will ride better.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 12:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lap, umm, listen to yourself and look at your picture and signature.
Why would a trailer NOT sitting out on a hitch extension that weighs the same or less than the one you're towing currently need a wdh?

You're good. Wdh on a dually to tow a 4klb trailer? Don't get brainwashed by the rvnet hitch police.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> towing with dually and WDH
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.