Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: not your normal tire thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> not your normal tire thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
dockmasterdave

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, I got tired of China bombs and put a set of Maxxis on our 23' TT about 2 years ago. Went from 178/80/13 to 185 to get a little more cushion on weight capacity.
Bought online, delivered to tire shop for installation. DOT codes were 3 years old on date of delivery. I called Maxxis, They said they have no control over age unless bought directly from them. IF bought directly from them they TRY to keep them not much over 2 years old.
Any way, I am at about 5 years , so time to replace is coming up. They have been covered since new, never over 65 mph, max 68 to pass, and always have pressures checked and topped off to 50 before a trip.
Did a 300 mile round trip to the FL Keys 2 weeks ago.
Upon return I notice 3 of them have small pieces of tread missing and the belts have slipped. Just lucky we made it home before the show would have started.
No cracking on sidewalls, and we have put over 15,000 miles on this TT without any tire problems, except 1 china bomb?
I will check to make sure axles aren't bent or misaligned. Has any one else seen this ? Was it just "their time" to die ?
Theories welcome. TIA

2014 F 150 ecoboost
2010 F 150 4.6L
2007 ranger
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw it on mine. The rubber started to come unraveled.

Bought some Carlisle's and haven't looked back. Just put 5 grand on my new Carlisle's and they look great. I'm happy so far. Time will tell how they treat me.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Oregun

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are those tires sitting in a warehouse for 3 years, aren't they selling? Don't they FIFO their stock?
Five years/15k miles and falling apart is not a sign of quality. For comparison I bought a new explorer in
2002 and put the original spare (michelin crossterrain ) on the car in 2009. Replacing the tire this month
after 10 yrs on the road and 17yrs since manufacture with about 60k miles.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What online shop did you buy from?
Sorry to hear 3 years old that would surely cause some aggravation.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it stinks that you got three year old tires. I buy a lot of things online, but some things like tires I would never think of it. You just have no control over what you're going to get. When I go to the tire store I request tires with DOT codes form the current year. If they have to order and the DOT codes are not correct I tell them to get the correct ones and I'll be back to pay and have them installed.

As far as your Maxxis coming apart, My last set of Maxxis did the same thing, at 5 years and MAYBE a grand total of 2,000 miles. At that time there had been a few reports on here of Maxxis tires coming apart so I decided to not run Maxxis again. Now seeing your post, I'm doubly glad I didn't replace with the same.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're happy with the transforce by Firestone, usually their stores stuck within 6 months of mfg.

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we put Carlisle on in October of 2016 getting rid of the Lyons Head that was on our trailer from new. The LH had only about 10,000 miles on them and had one coming apart. We were in Ohio and discount had the Carlisle. I was concerned due to their previous record but they assured me they changed and the MPH and the quality changed. I did some checking before we had them put on and they did have some changes before i made the purchase. we probably have about 25,000 or more on them, back and forth in hot weather and cold. from east to west and north to south. they are still in great shape. I still plan on replacing them in october when they become 3 years old.

mt1729

Helena, MT. summer, Wellton, AZ winter

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is always exceptions, but with st (sucker tires) I think you did quite well. Maxxis tires are one of the better brands of st tires. That's about all the life expectancy out of st tires you can expect.

Moose

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Upon return I notice 3 of them have small pieces of tread missing and the belts have slipped. Just lucky we made it home before the show would have started.
No cracking on sidewalls, and we have put over 15,000 miles on this TT without any tire problems, except 1 china bomb?
I will check to make sure axles aren't bent or misaligned. Has any one else seen this ? Was it just "their time" to die ?
Theories welcome. TIA

As one poster says Maxxis ST8008s doesn't have all that great of a service record. Your #37 on rv websites alone not counting non rv trailers that has had issues with them.

Maxxis says not all of the ST sizes have the nylon cap under the tread....but don't say what sizes.

Carlisle HD has a couple of 13" D load range tires. The HD are a new gen higher speed rated tire and so far their a much improved tire over the old Carlisle ST tires.
Not many 13" ST tire sizes and load ranges left out here. I always use a P tire on trailers that small. You get a higher speed rating plus a quality service tire.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dockmasterdave wrote:

Bought online, delivered to tire shop for installation.

Then you should call the owner of the website and complain. I'm sure they'll fix you right up.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> not your normal tire thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.