Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: New-to-me truck and camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New-to-me truck and camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
MG1912

World

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought it would be a good idea to join this forum, as I just bought a truck and camper. I will be full-timing for at least a year, possibly longer. I would love your thoughts, tips, tricks, hints, and/or any caveats experienced truck campers out there might have to offer.

Truck is a 2007 F350 6.0 diesel supercab long bed SRW. Camper is a 2013 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Here are some data points:
Truck front axle curb weight: 4,560 lbs. (CAT scale)
Truck rear axle curb weight: 2,960 lbs. (CAT scale)
Truck gross weight: 7,520 lbs. (CAT scale)
Truck GVWR: 11,400 lbs. (door sticker)
Truck Front GAWR: 6,000 lbs. (door sticker)
Truck Rear GAWR: 7,000 lbs. (door sticker)
Truck Tire Max Load Pressure: 4,080/3,750 lbs. each (Nitto Terra Grappler G2 A/T LT295/70R18 E 129/126Q 10-ply)
Camper wet weight: 2,960 lbs. (sticker)

[image]

[image]

[image]

I have heard that Northstar weighs all of its campers individually before printing the stickers, and I have heard that VIN decoder curb weight data is pretty accurate, but I’ll take the truck with a full tank of diesel to a CAT station soon to find out what stuff really weighs

A few question:

1. I am taking this trip solo. Assuming 1,000 lbs. of gear (including myself), I should have no problems, weight-wise?
2. Should I go ahead and install Timbrens and sway bar or should I first “wait and see,” as I have seen advised on some truck camper sites? Or do you think I will definitely want them, so go ahead and install them?
3. Anything else I should do or anything you see about this setup stick out to you?

Many thanks in advance.

* This post was edited 07/29/19 09:22am by MG1912 *

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome and till you scale it with and without the TC it's hard to say.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let us know the weights. TC looks ok...needs some shine IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think the TC is well matched to the capacity of the truck. I'd put some miles on it with local trips so you don't get too far from home. See how it drives and handles and go from there.
I hope you did a lot of research on the 6.0 Ford diesel. They are temperamental high maintenance engines at best, expensive pieces of junk at worst. A company I used to be involved with had me driving two of those things, the problems are many.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I full timed for a couple of years in an Igloo. I think you will find it to be a great choice. I would get the Timbrens and then see if anything else is needed. It should be fine. For full timing, I highly recommend adding AGM batteries and at least one solar panel over 100 watts, preferably two.

MG1912

World

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

Welcome and till you scale it with and without the TC it's hard to say.

Thanks. I'll go to the CAT scale with the truck later this week. The RV dealer has a scale and can weigh the camper full of liquids. Once I've got the camper on the truck, I'll go to the scale again.

KD4UPL wrote:

I would think the TC is well matched to the capacity of the truck. I'd put some miles on it with local trips so you don't get too far from home. See how it drives and handles and go from there.
I hope you did a lot of research on the 6.0 Ford diesel. They are temperamental high maintenance engines at best, expensive pieces of junk at worst. A company I used to be involved with had me driving two of those things, the problems are many.

Thanks. I do plan to stick around the neighborhood for a while and troubleshoot systems, see what I might have forgotten, etc. And I'll take your advice and take shorter trips first before heading to Alaska. [emoticon]

As I understood it, the 6.0 Powerstroke had design flaws but can be a very good engine if you take care of those flaws, and can potentially be an outstanding engine if those areas are really squared away. Like the 7.3 before it, it doesn't have all the modern emissions technology on it. My 6.0 only has 80K miles on it, so I'm tempted to take my 6.0 in to get it preemptively "bulletproofed."

JimK-NY wrote:

My wife and I full timed for a couple of years in an Igloo. I think you will find it to be a great choice. I would get the Timbrens and then see if anything else is needed. It should be fine. For full timing, I highly recommend adding AGM batteries and at least one solar panel over 100 watts, preferably two.

Thanks. I believe the camper has 250 amps of AGM batteries, although I'm not sure of the condition yet. It has 150 watts of solar on top. Should I first wait and see if that meets my needs, or do you think I will definitely want to go ahead and double to 300 watts?

* This post was edited 07/23/19 05:33pm by MG1912 *

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could get one of the oasis? reports on your truck and see if it has had any problems. If it hasn't then just drive it right?

I had plenty of problems with my 2005 6.0 but that at 40k maybe you got a good one.

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was pushing the limits of my wheels when I had an Arrow on my Dodge.
the scale will let you know what items might need to be upgraded.

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

TC-less, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups and 2 Northstar Arrows.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only comment is, a 6.0 can be a good motor or it can be a money pit.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MG1912 wrote:

....I believe the camper has 250 amps of AGM batteries, although I'm not sure of the condition yet. It has 150 watts of solar on top. Should I first wait and see if that meets my needs, or do you think I will definitely want to go ahead and double to 300 watts?

I would recommend getting a second panel. I added a second panel but my wife uses a CPAP and we did a lot of photography and editing of pictures. Computers use quite a bit of juice. Regardless, if you camp in the shade, solar is about useless. If camp in the shade and run the furnace, you will need to run a generator regardless of the number of panels. Also take a look at the solar controller and upgrade it if is not a quality 3 stage charger.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New-to-me truck and camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS