cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furrion rv air conditioner, anyone have one yet? Or Attwood?

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I have been kind of dreaming, wishing the Dometic Duo Therm 13.5k ac unit in my trailer was a bit quieter.
I see there are 2 units that have separate condenser and evaporator blowers that claim to be much quieter.
Attwood and a new unit to market made by Furrion.
The Furrion unit looks intriguing. Being new to the market, doesnt look like there is much info.
Is anyone running one yet, if so how do you like it?
22 REPLIES 22

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1320Fastback wrote:
I have a Atwood AirCommand 13.5 Non Ducted/Non Heat on my trailer. It had a new Dometic on it when we got the trailer in 2015 but it never worked properly so when E Trailer was having a sale I bought one. It was around $700 and I sold the old Dometic to a rv mechanic for $250. AtWood now unfortunately is owned by Dometic and I do not know if they moved production to the states. My unit says Made in Australia on it as well as the function and performance test paperwork. It is very quiet, blows ice cold, throws air 2 to 3 times further than the Dometic did and is small gen friendly.

Atwoods are made in the USA per their current info
Dometics are made in China
RVP/Coleman are made in Wichita, Kansas
1. 13.5 Atwood air volume is 360 CFM (cubic feet/minute)
2. 13.5 Dometic air volume is 350
3. RVP 13.5 is 320
If Dometic follows what they did with Atwood refers, they will discontinue the Atwoods. Until the current slow down in the RV market, BEFORE the corona virus, Dometic and RVP had a hard time supplying enough AC un its to the OEM's. So, it made sense to continue the Atwood AC production. With the RV market slowdown in sales Dometic may discontinue the Atwoods. I have seen lots of companies try to go against RVP and Dometic, including Carrier. NONE could make any headway into the RV OEM sales. Doug

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Atwood AirCommand 13.5 Non Ducted/Non Heat on my trailer. It had a new Dometic on it when we got the trailer in 2015 but it never worked properly so when E Trailer was having a sale I bought one. It was around $700 and I sold the old Dometic to a rv mechanic for $250. AtWood now unfortunately is owned by Dometic and I do not know if they moved production to the states. My unit says Made in Australia on it as well as the function and performance test paperwork. It is very quiet, blows ice cold, throws air 2 to 3 times further than the Dometic did and is small gen friendly.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I was able to cut down a LOT of noise and vibration on our Coleman Machs by balancing the condenser fan. It was very easy using a lawn mower blade balancer and bits from the HW store.
The white bushing was ground down to a "D" shape in order to fit into the blade's shaft hole and the metal clips were used to balance the blade. HUGE difference. I also sanded off the excess mold flashing from the fins.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Do not go with the Atwood HP you will end up loathing the day it was installed...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jjrbus wrote:
It dawned on me one day. They duct roof airs into the unit. But the operating (noisy)parts of the AC are wide open to the unit via the air return. Ducting the return air would help quiet the noise.

They do Duct the return air on some RV's. The MORE you pay for the RV the more likely you get Ducted return. You can easily determine if the RV has ducted return. IF it has the standard 14 by 14 inch square inside ceiling mount, it does not have ducted air return. Doug

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
It dawned on me one day. They duct roof airs into the unit. But the operating (noisy)parts of the AC are wide open to the unit via the air return. Ducting the return air would help quiet the noise.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
The older Atwood Air Command before Dometic bought them are much quieter than most RV air conditioners. Canโ€™t say if the current product is good or not.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

jolvi
Explorer
Explorer
72cougarxr7 wrote:
I should say, I am planning on running my Dometic for at least another year or 2. It cools well, and in Northern NY, I can go without it much of the year.
I just cant stand how loud the Dometic is.
I agree with the comment about not being the first one to buy one, I dont buy 1st model year cars for that reason, and would definitely let these Furrion units have some real world testing for a couple years befire I felt comfortable buying one.
It looks like it is only Attwood and Fuffion marketing their units as low noise, and they both use separate motors for the condenser and evaporator fans, which makes sense to me.
Most of the Attwood reviews I find say the heat pump ones dont put out much heat and many were getting shipping damage.
Im not interested in a heat pump, just ac.
Anyone have an Attwood unit and have anything good or bad to say about it?

I replaced a Coleman unit on a class C motorhome with the Atwood Air Command 15k unit with the heatpump it is standard on it. The unit was much quieter than the Coleman but as it is a heatpump they can only remove so much heat from the cold it is how they work all done with a valve not running it in reverse. Anyway if you set thermostat for a temp that is what it puts out, so can see where that seems like it lacks on heat that and they are good down to a certain temp. then they become very questionable. I also replaced a Dometic Brisk Air II with a 13.5 Atwood Air Command and it too lowered the noise level a bunch. Less amp draw due to the two motor design and such. The Atwood design is not that new it was designed in Australia and used there so it puts up with a bunch of rough conditions so I would say it is a good product.

leonardwulf
Explorer
Explorer
I understand what you're getting accustomed to buzzing, it's like a habit of falling asleep at sound of the TV
compare of Air Purifiers

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
I love the noise of my AC. It helps me sleep in a truck stop next to rumbling diesels.

๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard a rv roof air with an acceptable noise level to me! I have an 11k brisk air on my roof and mounted an 8k window unit in the rear bath window as I refuse to listen to the Dometic!

I have 3 mini splits in my house and would put one in my old Toyota in a heartbeat if I had room for the inside unit.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Mini-splits are the new rage and technically far superior to anything the RV industry is using today. They're intended use right now is zoned cooling with a small unit in each room. The unit's power is converted to DC and the motors are variable speed - both the compressor and the fan. As the need for cooling increases, they speed up to handle the job with the opposite being true when demand drops off overnight but they're designed to run around the clock to keep the conditioned space just right.

But, just like Onan still marketing constant speed generators, our air conditioners run at a single speed (sure some have two speed fans but the compressors are only single speed). It's time for an influx of available technology to the RV market. Who's going to be the first to offer it?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I should say, I am planning on running my Dometic for at least another year or 2. It cools well, and in Northern NY, I can go without it much of the year.
I just cant stand how loud the Dometic is.
I agree with the comment about not being the first one to buy one, I dont buy 1st model year cars for that reason, and would definitely let these Furrion units have some real world testing for a couple years befire I felt comfortable buying one.
It looks like it is only Attwood and Fuffion marketing their units as low noise, and they both use separate motors for the condenser and evaporator fans, which makes sense to me.
Most of the Attwood reviews I find say the heat pump ones dont put out much heat and many were getting shipping damage.
Im not interested in a heat pump, just ac.
Anyone have an Attwood unit and have anything good or bad to say about it?

JWP127
Explorer
Explorer
My Coleman ac on my new trailer is much quieter than the Dometic on my old trailer.