cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2002 Safari Trek

Omollica
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Safari Trek several months ago that has around 36,000 miles .
I’m not real sure what’s going on all my rig batteries run down whenever I lower the levels or use any thing that requires the battery . Also if it sits a while the batteries run down. I haven’t found out what is using up the energy to my new batteries. Has anyone else had this issue with their safari trek 2002 ?
7 REPLIES 7

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Omollica,

You'll get specific advice for your Trek at the "The Trek Tracks Forum"
It's a community of Trek owners that willingly offer knowledgeable advice to other Trek owners when the need arises.

My handle is Moonwink over there. I'd try to give you advice here but your 2002 is a lot different than my 2004 model.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
3 batteries?

I'm assuming one 12 volt battery for the engine and two 6 volt batteries for the house part.

Is that correct?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Omollica
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Trek and 3 batteries are new . I’m a single woman and I have no idea what I’m doing . I have put $3000 into this motorhome and it still want recharge . I‘ve had two mechanics to look at it and they said it could possibly be an electrical issue . The previous owner put in a second air-conditioner and it was wired crazy. I’m wondering if that has messed up the electrical system?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What use are RV batteries if you need to keep plugged in?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I do suppose you have the rig plugged into AC to keep the batteries charged ? You might buy an AC/DC clamp meter that you just put it around the positive battery, and it will read out the amps being drawn. With the clamp meter on, and someone else watching the meter, pull each house fuse one at a time, and when the offending circuit/fuse is pulled, the clamp meter will drop to zero. Is the chassis battery running down also? Perhaps the AC/DC converter has gone south. What year is it ?
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check to see if the switch for your heated outside mirrors is left on. That will drain your batteries in a short time.
You could also have ONE bad battery that is draining the others. Go to this website where you can get help specific to the Safari Trek. Safari Trek forum

MrWizard
keep the engine running while using the levelers, if they will work that way
the alternator should be charging the house batteries

most RV's have parasitic loads that are CAN NOT turned off

be sure to use the battery disconnect switch, check to make sure lights fridge water pump etc.. have no power/quit working, when using the disconnect

if NOT then the disconnect may need to be replaced

if you have an inverter, it has to be turned off manually they will use several amps just setting turned on, might have to pull a fuse for total disconnect, inverters are connected directly to the house batteries, they stay connected, are connected and use tiny amount of power for the remote control circuits, even IF turned OFF at the remote switch ( switch has to have power in order to work )

if stored at home then plugin an extension cord, leave batteries on/active and let the on board converter maintain the charge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s