cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furrion Back-up Camera

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering getting a back-up camera for my 41 foot long 5er. It's a Montana High Country and came "pre wired" for the Furrion Back-up Camera.

I know there are other brands out there, but since the camper is pre-wired for the Furrion version, I'm beginning to explore this brand.

With that said, I'd appreciate anyone's experience with their Furrion Back-up camera. I suppose the questions are:

First: Did you install the camera system yourself and if you did was it more work than you expected. In other words, should you have hired someone else to do it?

Second: What model did you get and why?

Third: Did it meet your expectations or do you have regrets and wish you would have selected a different or upgraded model or different brand altogether?

Fourth: Did it hold up over time? It's technology? Did it putter out eventually, or after time, still working strong?

Input appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you made a good choice. Ours runs off the running lights too and we like that, except when I forget, hook it up and think it is not working then I realize the lights are not turned on ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy!!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all your advise. I did get the Furrion 7 inch Observation today and have it installed. I was hoping the wire was live all the time. But I found out real quick the camera wire is live only when the running lights are turned on the truck. But, after thinking about this, it's really OK. In a way, it makes me feel better the camera shuts off when the lights go out, rather than running off the battery 24x7.

I have not taken the camper on the road yet, but we are going out again for another week-end jaunt to visit one of the local street fairs in a small town in Indiana (Denver, Indiana). So staying at Missassawana State Recreation area again. So, I'll have opportunity in about 4 days to test out the camera.

I got the kit with only the main back up camera. I saw the additional side and door cameras that you swap out with your running lights and add them in, but may wait for Christmas to get a set of them. I want to try out the main rear first for a while.

So once again, thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help. Happy camping and see you on the road!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
rbp111 wrote:
No. The backup camera merely turns on when you put the tow vehicle in Reverse.
The observation camera is on when you have the trailer lights on or when you put the tow vehicle in reverse.
I understand what you are saying, but they sell the observation cameras separate from the observation cameras.

If the camera receives power from the reverse lights, it only comes on in reverse.

If the camera receives power from the running lights, it comes on with the running lights.

If wired like a buddy's Bighorn and connected to the trailer power supply, the camera is on all the time.

If some cameras are sold as one and some as the other, there must be some other difference.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I meant to write they make backup cameras and they make observation cameras.

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
No. The backup camera merely turns on when you put the tow vehicle in Reverse.
The observation camera is on when you have the trailer lights on or when you put the tow vehicle in reverse.
I understand what you are saying, but they sell the observation cameras separate from the observation cameras.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the observation model. Installed it myself. Trailer was pre-wired took all of 10 minutes. Pretty disappointed. Pixilates, freezes up and drops out. 40 ft. fifth wheel. Don't know if they make a booster, maybe that would help. I keep mine in a drawer next to the tire pressure monitor that doesn't work very well either.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
rbp111 wrote:
I just wanted to say that there is a difference between a back-up camera and the observation camera. The difference being that the camera only comes on when you are backing the unit for the back up camera. The observation camera allows you to see people come up the rear of you, in my instance, when the lights are on and when you are backing the unit.
Just to make sure Dutchmen understands there is a difference.

I'm puzzled at what you are saying, isn't it just a matter of the power source?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to say that there is a difference between a back-up camera and the observation camera. The difference being that the camera only comes on when you are backing the unit for the back up camera. The observation camera allows you to see people come up the rear of you, in my instance, when the lights are on and when you are backing the unit.
Just to make sure Dutchmen understands there is a difference.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Ours prewired. Took all of 15 minutes. Plug trailer in, plug display in, turn on head lights, 5 seconds later, picture transmitted. Trailer is 38โ€™ on a long bed truck. No booster needed.

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

First: Did you install the camera system yourself and if you did was it more work than you expected. In other words, should you have hired someone else to do it?

Third: Did it meet your expectations or do you have regrets and wish you would have selected a different or upgraded model or different brand altogether?

Fourth: Did it hold up over time? It's technology? Did it putter out eventually, or after time, still working strong?

Input appreciated.

To answer your questions:

First: We installed ourselves and I would say it took less than 30 minutes to do. No, we did not need to hire someone else to do it.

Second: Our trailer did not come pre-wired and it did not have the "sharkfin" apparatus installed. We chose the Furrion FOS05TASR Rear Marker Light camera with a 5-inch monitor. Why? We determined that to install a rear marker light camera meant drilling fewer holes into the wall of the trailer which we did not want to do. The 5-inch monitor seems about just right for size; can see the picture, but it's not so big that we wouldn't know where to put it.

Third: We haven't had it very long; have used it on two trips now and it is working as expected. Once in awhile it momentarily loses signal, but nothing major. I don't do the driving, but I believe it has been a big help to be able to see what's going on behind us.

Fourth: I guess I can't answer that question yet because we just got it. ๐Ÿ™‚

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
Fire19 wrote:
I have installed the Furion 7" observation camera with two maker light cameras on my 32 'Fifth Wheel. I love the system and wish I would have installed it earlier it would have saved some arguments when parking in the campground.

I have a 5in screen a little cheaper then the 7 and works great. Not too big and not too small.
20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Where does one usually install a 7" observation screen?

Mines going on a suction mount, to the windshield.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where does one usually install a 7" observation screen?

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I'm considering getting a back-up camera for my 41 foot long 5er. It's a Montana High Country and came "pre wired" for the Furrion Back-up Camera.

I know there are other brands out there, but since the camper is pre-wired for the Furrion version, I'm beginning to explore this brand.

With that said, I'd appreciate anyone's experience with their Furrion Back-up camera. I suppose the questions are:

I bought one from http://www.tadibrothers.com I did not like the furion monitor and the field of view of the cameras they had at the time. My tadi brothers monitor is a 7 inch one and the camera has a wider filed of view. And with all that and the furion mount adapter it was only a few bucks more than the furion models available at the time.

Input appreciated.