cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOTA DLS-30 Converter with 2 6V GC2 Batteries

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I currently have a IOTA DLS-30 converter and plan to upgrade my single group 24 battery to “2” GC2 Batteries 6V wired in Series. I believe based on my research that my DLS-30 should work just fine. Is this true? Also it looks like there a plug n play smart charging device called an IQ4. Should i get one of these and plug it into the port on the side...would i benefit from it?? Currently there is a wire plugged into the converter and looks like its setup for 14.2vinstead of 13.6v if it wasnt plugged in. This wire is like a fast charge wire??
9 REPLIES 9

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Have you looked at your IOTA to verify if the jack for the IQ4 exists? On my 2005 Jayco there is no IQ4 jack, apparently Jayco wanted to save some money and had the jack eliminated.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Golfer,

I read these in the order that they were posted.

Your DSL-30 with IQ4 is every bit as good as a PD92XX. For a pair of GC2s you could stand more charge rate, but unless you boondock (real boondock) a lot and have to recover the bank with a generator, changing to a larger converter will just be a waste of your money.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iota converters are great, they do require the IQ4 module for smart charging capabilities. Our new rig came with a 30 amp Iota which was fine for the single battery the dealer installed. Since our preferred method of RVing is dry camping and boondocking, our single 12 volt battery was simply not cutting it. Went to Samsclub and picked up a pair of golf cart batteries, which is all we require for extended off the power grid camping.

Since efficiently restoring consumed amphours to our 12 volt reserves is paramount when RVing off the grid, I wanted a little more kick when replenishing our battery bank via generator. We purchased the 45 amp Iota with IQ4 built in, that was 11 years ago and that first pair of golfcart batteries went 8 years with juice still left in them when we traded them in. Pumping out 14.8 volts sure gets your batteries back up in a hurry.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 55A, and the 75A versions of this same charger. Been using both for years. The 75A for over a decade. These are fantastic!

Immediately remove the fast charging plug. It's only meant to be used infrequently. This higher voltage causes a faster charging rate, which can damage batteries over time.

I'm using the IQ4 modules on both of my chargers. It provides optimal charging curves for the batteries.

I used the 75A charger, with 8 6v golf cart batteries in my home solar setup for years. Whenever the weather was cooperative, I used the grid tied charger to charge and maintain the battery bank. I now have a 1000AH AGM battery bank, and had to buy the IQ4 AGM module since the charge characteristics are different than flooded batteries.

The 55A model was put in our previous TT to replace the failed factory unit.

These chargers put out a clean DC output, with no AC noise/ripple. They also will put out the full rated capacity - something I've tested with mine.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
No problem at all with that plan Proided the GC-2's are not Lifeline AGMs

For most batteries (Lifline AGM's are the exception. along with the very rare genuine gel cell) the recommended MAXIMUM recharge rate is 30% of the C/20 Amp hour rate. for the GC2s that's about 66 amps

(For lifeline AGM's though they have changed it that used to be the MINIMUM recommended recharge rate)

Your 30 amp charger will do nicely. the only thing is if the batteries are low it will take a bit longer than say a 60 amp to recharge (About 2 hours more) But this is a good thing as most Lead Acid batteries will show longer overall life (Years) with the slower charge rate.

So enjoy
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
The DLS-30 is about the minimum I would recommend. You want to bulk charge at a minimum of C/12. C being the 20 hour rate of your batteries. The GC-2's will be around 215 a/h so 30amps is about the minimum to avoid sulfating and reducing battery life.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you need the IQ4 to properly charge a battery.
IOTA is fine 24/7 or periodically topping off the battery.

If you must remove the batteries I recommend the Battery Minder brand charger and let it run continuous. Fully charge with the IOTA before battery removal.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Yes the Iota will work just fine. I used a similar sized converter to maintain 875 amp-hours of battery bank.

For new batteries, I'd suggest using the disconnect switch and charging for 24 hours once per month, using the Iota to do so.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.iotaengineering.com/dls30.htm
Here is the link for that info i found.

Also what standalone charger should i use when in storage? Is there a specific amps charger/maintainer i need to use to charge both batteries in series?? Throughout winter months take batteries off camper and just leave batteries plugged in 24/7 to standalone charger then?

TIA