cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Chargers

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer
I will be buying 2-6 volt golf cart batteries and wiring in series. For Standalone chargers what do you recommend? There’s 750 MA and one, two, three, four, five amp chargers....etc Noco, Battery Tender, Minder...etc. I don’t care how fast they recharge the batteries because this will be more for winter storage to have them sit on the charger 24/7 throughout many months to keep them topped off. Otherwise during the camping season if you’re using your camper every few weeks I’ve heard the regular on board converter is enough to keep fully charged Without the need of a standalone charger. Aslong as u have a battery shutoff switch. Is this correct? Or do some of you guys use a standalone charger connected to ur batteries on camper 24 seven 365 to keep the batteries topped off?? As I’ve heard that some onboard converters plugged in All the time will fry your batteries
14 REPLIES 14

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I used this one to keep all 4 house batteries charged and it also is a Desulfator:

BatteryMinder 128CEC1: 12V 2/4/8 AMP

I also use one to keep the 2 engine batteries maintained:

BatteryMINDer Model 2012: 12Volt-2 Amp Battery Charger

When I get home, I just clip them on and forget it. They work well.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Golferdude21 wrote:
Smart battery tender maintainers is what i was getting at. For long winter storage to keep on 24/7 and in between camping trips to keep batteries topped off

Like I said go with the big Deltran..

It will maintain the six volt pair (NOTE it is a 12 volt charger so keep the batteries connected in series so they present as a single 12) and if your car is sluggish in the AM.. Jump start it too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Virtually all of these smart chargers work well. If you need to actually recharge I would go 5 amp minimum, 10+ amps is better. For fast recharge on the road camping 40 to 60 amps will serve you well. For float service of a fully charged battery you can go a little less like 1.5 to 5 amps.
JMHO.

Mine get the solar treatment.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like my big Deltran Battery Tender P/N 022-0221-WH

Got it at Autozone. Deltran makes several not much different.

If the car needs it 75 amps to BOOST with
if the batteries are hungry 20 amps charge
And once full 2 or so for maintenance as needed.

WI-FI and a Smart phone app complete the package
about 100 bucks

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I use the small 1 or 2 amp battery maintainers. I have about 3 different brands and all seem to work good. I have 6 of them running most of the time and have had very good luck with long battery life. I like the ones that go on "float mode" when the batteries are fully charged the best.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of aftermarket battery tender type chargers available which work well for many. I like to just keep it simple and rely on our onboard Iota IQ4 smart converter, with 4 stages it really knows how to keep our batteries very healthy. Our rig is always plugged into shore power while stored in our sideyard, of course I routinely check water levels although they only require watering once a year. Last set of GC2 batteries went 8 years and still had plenty of life in them when we traded them in for another pair that had 30 more amphours.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Golfer,

What has not been said here is that the Progressive Dynamics 92XX line were designed to be left powered on and on your bank for as long as you have power available. Though they call it a Three Stage, if you read their documentation, they are actually Four Stage. That fourth stage is a resting maintenance stage that regularly "Burps" the battery to promote electrolyte circulation and prevent sulphation.

This system will not just keep the bank as close to 100% SOC, but will extend the usable life of the bank. After 10 seasons, the house bank (2ae-GC2) were still about 80~90% of original capacity (as determined by my bank monitior). The only reason I replaced them was that I was offered a deal on a pair of new big name jars.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I use the Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amp charger on eight seasonal batteries. I am too frugal to buy one for each, so I rotate the one about every three days.

Despite what everyone says, batteries really don't like to be plugged in to a maintainer 24/7 for weeks on end. Your rotation helps extend battery life.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amp charger on eight seasonal batteries. I am too frugal to buy one for each, so I rotate the one about every three days. I have had exceptional life from those batteries so I'll stay the course. I use the connectors that mates with the Battery Tender on each battery making the change quick and easy.

I don't like to keep an RV plugged in all the time due to possible power problems and lightening strikes.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
If you have a modern 3 stage converter, you can leave it plugged in year round and not worry about destroying your batteries. Just keep an eye on your water level.

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer
Smart battery tender maintainers is what i was getting at. For long winter storage to keep on 24/7 and in between camping trips to keep batteries topped off

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you talking about maintenance chargers or Camping rechargers or both?

For "Every day recharging" a Progressive Dynamics 9260 is fantastic That is a 3 stage converter and a good size for the GC-2 Pairs. Stage 3 is maintenance

For a slower recharge. (one shot manual restart) and maintenance

I have a big (And I mean BIG) Deltran Battery Tender.

This is not the one I have but... Looks like similar specs

Auto Zone

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does the regular onboard converter you are considering charge at the battery manufacturer’s recommended voltage for bulk, absorption and float charging? Does it have equalization capacity?

I suggest you don’t guess at how many battery amp hours you need. Do an energy survey. Easiest way to keep your batteries charged is a solar system.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad