cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plastic sheeting under shower?

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Itasca Sunstar. We have some kind of small water leak from the shower. In trying to diagnose it I see that there is some clear plastic sheeting on the linoleum under the front edge of the shower. Again, on the floor under the shower. It runs horizontally from the right-hand edge of the shower, past the left edge, and on under the refrigerator. It's relatively thin plastic sheeting, maybe 5 inches deep. It seems its only purpose is to trap the water leaking from the shower and hold it against the linoleum floor and prevent it from evaporating! That is, it's wet underneath this plastic sheeting. I'm tempted to rip it out but thought I'd better run it by the forum before I do. Anyone know what purpose this sheeting might have?

dave
5 REPLIES 5

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
it's call a water barrier its a protection for your floor encase of a leak.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is no reason for that plastic other than a protective cover while the RV is built. They remove the easily exposed plastic when it is done. Areas under beds/chairs/dinnettes and shower tubs/pans cannot be easily accessed to cut out and remove the plastic. It can be removed. Doug

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, that was my thought too.

Bruce_Brown
^^^ I'd agree with that.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
One of the first stages when building a coach is to put the floor down and then cover it with thin plastic sheeting to protect it during the rest of construction. What you are seeing maybe some of that plastic that wasn't removed pre delivery?
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows