Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Entry Door Rebuild
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Entry Door Rebuild

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
fallsrider

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a project coming up soon that I have to tackle, and I wanted to get your input on what I might need. I have pretty good skills with saws, drills, etc., so I'm not worried about that part.

Our TT is a '95 Sunnybrook 26DB. It has been awesome for us as a family, and we hope to get many more years out of it. We bought it in '13, and the two previous owners (brothers) kept it sheltered, and it's condition showed it. However, we don't have that luxury. It sits under oak trees now.

Our entry door has started coming apart at the bottom, making it hard to open. I think the internal core, whatever that is, has rotted, and it doesn't allow the perimeter aluminum pieces to hold the door together. I need to take it apart and rebuild it.

Does anyone know what material I should expect to find in the core? Plywood? Marine plywood? Is it something I can get at Lowe's or Home Depot, or will it need to be somewhere else?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

4aSong

Northwest Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a 1995 Prowler we had I rebuilt the door frame. As I recall when I took it apart I found a 2x2 wood outer frame with some 2x2 cross bracing all put together with staples which were rusted and the wood rotted.
What I did was replace the bad wood and placed some metal 'L' brackets in the 4 corners to give it support along with some metal brackets to support the cross bracing (no staples). It never gave me any more problems. Hope this helps.

M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
Lance Model 1985 - The Kramalot Inn
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

fallsrider

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4aSong wrote:

On a 1995 Prowler we had I rebuilt the door frame. As I recall when I took it apart I found a 2x2 wood outer frame with some 2x2 cross bracing all put together with staples which were rusted and the wood rotted.
What I did was replace the bad wood and placed some metal 'L' brackets in the 4 corners to give it support along with some metal brackets to support the cross bracing (no staples). It never gave me any more problems. Hope this helps.
You know, it's very possible that's what I will find. There may be a perimeter frame made out of wood, and then foam board in the middle for weight savings. If so, that wouldn't be too much trouble to rebuild. Thanks for letting me know your experience.

4aSong

Northwest Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fallsrider wrote:

You know, it's very possible that's what I will find. There may be a perimeter frame made out of wood, and then foam board in the middle for weight savings. If so, that wouldn't be too much trouble to rebuild. Thanks for letting me know your experience.

You refreshed my mind, I do recall foam board in between the wood framing. [emoticon]

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I see these kind of posts I also wonder how others have done it and what they found.
My next step is to go to YouTube it is amazing what you will find.[emoticon]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

fallsrider

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

When I see these kind of posts I also wonder how others have done it and what they found.
My next step is to go to YouTube it is amazing what you will find.[emoticon]
No doubt. I use YouTube a lot myself. I just had it on my mind yesterday morning, and I had to head out to work, so I didn't have time to look on YouTube. I just wondered what others have run into.

4aSong

Northwest Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked YouTube and am surprised at the number of videos on this same subject. I don't recall that many when I did mine but it has been some time ago. YouTube sure has a lot of good information available along with many informative videos.

fallsrider

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4aSong wrote:

I just checked YouTube and am surprised at the number of videos on this same subject. I don't recall that many when I did mine but it has been some time ago. YouTube sure has a lot of good information available along with many informative videos.
I will definitely check them out. Thanks. The weather here is supposed to be really nice tomorrow, so I have given my wife the heads-up that I will be spending a few hours repairing the door.

4aSong

Northwest Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep us posted on your findings and solution.

We have the Monsoons now, been having a lot of thunder but very little rain which is making it humid which is a rarity here in Arizona.

fallsrider

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4aSong wrote:

Keep us posted on your findings and solution.

We have the Monsoons now, been having a lot of thunder but very little rain which is making it humid which is a rarity here in Arizona.
I ended up having to work on Saturday to get one of our homes ready for closing today. I will try again this coming Saturday.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Entry Door Rebuild
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.