cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference post: Love my combo for towing

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from a short camping trip early this week and was so happy with how my rig pulls I just wanted to publicize it for other's reference.

Previously I had a 2003 Silverado 1500 (5.3, 3:73) and pulled a 26' TT (~6k lbs). Frankly, that combo worked fine for the ten years we owned it, but hills and headwinds were a grind and I always worried about stressing the truck out. I rarely felt unsafe with it, but there was always an underlying anxiety of towing long distances or over any pass.

A few years ago we upgraded our truck to a 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison and the year after that we upgraded the TT to a 2019 26' ORV (~8k lbs). Towing this combo is a dream and darn near stress free. The truck acts almost like there isn't a trailer attached and no more stress about hills, headwinds, or getting passed by semi-trucks and getting pushed around.

Yes, the diesel was more expensive up front, but as of this moment I have no regrets about going this route. As the driver I don't feel the anxiety I previously felt and that's made our trips profoundly better.

FWIW.
Happy Trails!
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH
26 REPLIES 26

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Geeez do you guys never give it a rest? If you like your diesel keep it, if you like your gas keep it. If you don't like it change. If you want high end trim buy it, if not, don't buy it. If you need someone to pat you on the back and justify your decision go see a therapist. If you don't know which end is up there are about 5,000 post at the top of this page to make it clear as mud.

None of us are changing our mind, gas or diesel, we're buying what we want for our own reasons. Enough Already, Give it a Rest - Forever!

I am glad to see you don't want other members posting regarding their preference for gas or diesel, for forever. Yet, here you are reading all the posts and posting yourself in the same thread!

I suggest you sit back and relax, after all, it is Friday.

:B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yup. There’s gettin by and then there’s gettin er done!
I have done and still do both. The difference between the 2 and ones comfort while doing it is merely a function of how much thinner your wallet is at the end of the day.

Sometimes my 1/2 ton tows more and bigger than my diesel. But I can forego the comfort because the 1/2 ton is free (company truck) and the personal truck costs me out of pocket to own/operate.

By the same token it stands to reason that thinner wallets are generally more ok with gettin by. Because it’s pretty easy or impossible depending how you look at it, to put a dollar value on “comfort.”
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have an interesting comparison. I have a 2008 28' Artic Fox Toyhauler that is used for work. The bedroom was ordered gutted and the entire trailer was custom done with aluminum storage racks and tool chests. It is heavy, sitting right at max GVW of 12K. It is tall, bumper pull and a handful in the Idaho wind, even with a hitch equalizer. I have pulled it since new with a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dmax. The 08 was just replaced with a 19 3500HD Dmax, both were short box trucks. I cant get over the huge improvement in the towing capability from 08 2500 to 19 3500. The same trailer with the 08 was never overly comfortable Interstate speed and in the wind it was scary and I am CDL driver and have been towing my entire driving life. The 19 of course has more power, but the stability of the chassis, the brakes and of course exhaust brake make it nearly effortless. We all talk about how much more these new trucks cost, but if your pulling heavy enough, the improvements are incredible and in my view well worth it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
2017 ram 3500 aisin Cummins and 27' ORV tt. Have never pulled anything else and have no desire to. It tows so easily and everything is so balanced. I have a wdh and factory air level on the truck so maybe overkill for what I'm pulling but no regrets.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
You've had your towing epiphany. You simply have discovered what diesel owners have been raving about all these years.
Lots of people are happy with their gassers and become accustomed to the performance of there rigs. They really don't understand the improvement to be gained by going diesel. These gasser owners mostly focus on the cost difference between gas and diesel and really don't comprehend the performance difference.
Now that you have towed with a diesel you have experienced first hand from the driver's seat what diesel performance is al about.
Ultimately the diesel provides a relaxed more enjoyable experience for the driver. There is less anxiety and an improved comfort zone.
The diesel combo requires less input/work from the driver which makes the entire towing experience more relaxing. It's hard to quantify the gas vs. diesel towing experience in X's and O's, especially if you have never towed with a diesel.
But once you experience diesel towing, you get the proverbial smile and immediately comprehend what all the fuss was about.
Enjoy it!.......The exhaust Brake is the icing on the cake!

Pretty much sums it up...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Idk, sure I feel a huge difference driving my old loud handshaker diesel compared to the new 1/2 ton that's my daily driver, but same cab and bed configuration new diesel vs 1/2 ton, only difference is suspension is stiffer and can see the road better.
Huckleberry hunter. .... Diesel ftw!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
kw/00 wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Geeez do you guys never give it a rest? If you like your diesel keep it, if you like your gas keep it. If you don't like it change. If you want high end trim buy it, if not, don't buy it. If you need someone to pat you on the back and justify your decision go see a therapist. If you don't know which end is up there are about 5,000 post at the top of this page to make it clear as mud.

None of us are changing our mind, gas or diesel, we're buying what we want for our own reasons. Enough Already, Give it a Rest - Forever!

You know, your right. Straight up that’s all these threads turn into... diesel verse gas, 3/4 ton verse 1/2 ton verse 1 ton verse whatever. I really haven’t been visiting much in a while cause threads all turn into just that and frankly it’s crazy sometimes.. I really don’t care what people drive... I’m glad to own what I can afford. I’m glad that we can all enjoy freedoms. We are so blessed to have and drive what we want to. Manufacturers are making products better as time goes on, unfortunately expensive but none the less things get better. Drive what u want, don’t matter gas or diesel or whatever designation it may be. If it’s safe and within normal weight levels then great, drive it till it has nothing less and enjoy.

You pointed out what many don't understand the cost of all the trucks are closer than you think.
There are 1500 1/2 ton trucks priced at the same price as a lesser equipped diesel dually.
Expectations and camping style are a big factor. Once you target the truck to meet your needs finding one within your budget is doable.
Too often buyers don't target the right truck. They don't do enough research and homework in order to gain the knowledge to choose the right truck.
Many end up with an underrated truck simply due to a lack of understanding of the towing parameters vs. a lack of $$$$.
It's not about money, often they can afford the right truck. They just don't know what is really required
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
Wouldn’t it be cool if you could test drive a truck with your trailer in tow? I would love to tow my trailer with my 7.3 diesel and then hook onto it with a new 6.2 gas, just to compare. I would also really like to pull it with a V10, just to see. If I won the lottery, I would have to open a used truck dealership because I would want to try everything! The new diesels are all good on paper, but the older trucks interest me too, I’ve always wanted to try a 8.1L Chevy, I know it won’t pull as good as a new diesel, but how good is it? As for interior trim, you’ll have to ask my wife about that, she likes that kind of stuff, I couldn’t care less.

Yeah, that's be great! We considered gas vs. diesel when we were upgrading to the 3/4 ton, but with the price of unleaded around here and the truck being my daily driver I didn't want to go that route. Believe it or not, diesel in our area has been consistently 30c cheaper a gallon than gas....I find it not so on trips out of state...or even across the state.

Anyhow, I could care less about all the gas vs. diesel arguments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Drive what works for you. My post was just a reference that going to a bigger truck (diesel in this case) really took the stress out of pulling the trailer and my old setup wasn't even overloaded. Can't imagine what it would be like to drive a rig when pulling beyond the limits of the TV.

I will say, that my 3/4 diesel as a daily driver is NOT as comfortable or manuvarable as my 1/2 gas truck. It's not uncomfortable by any means, but when I drive the DW's Toyota Highlander to work it makes the commute and parking a tad easier.....but I still love my truck! 🙂
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn’t it be cool if you could test drive a truck with your trailer in tow? I would love to tow my trailer with my 7.3 diesel and then hook onto it with a new 6.2 gas, just to compare. I would also really like to pull it with a V10, just to see. If I won the lottery, I would have to open a used truck dealership because I would want to try everything! The new diesels are all good on paper, but the older trucks interest me too, I’ve always wanted to try a 8.1L Chevy, I know it won’t pull as good as a new diesel, but how good is it? As for interior trim, you’ll have to ask my wife about that, she likes that kind of stuff, I couldn’t care less.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
If you keep the options reasonable it's easy to get any of the diesel HD trucks for less money than a mid to upper trimmed half ton or gas HD. It always amuses me when I hear or see a comment that diesels aren't worth the money coming from a guy driving a high end half ton or gas HD. I guess we all have different priorities.

This. When we got the 18 3500 DRW Duramax, the dealer had several 1500's at or over what we paid
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:

You know, your right. Straight up that’s all these threads turn into... diesel verse gas, 3/4 ton verse 1/2 ton verse 1 ton verse whatever. I really haven’t been visiting much in a while cause threads all turn into just that and frankly it’s crazy sometimes.. I really don’t care what people drive... I’m glad to own what I can afford. I’m glad that we can all enjoy freedoms. We are so blessed to have and drive what we want to. Manufacturers are making products better as time goes on, unfortunately expensive but none the less things get bettter. Drive what u want, don’t matter gas or diesel or whatever designation it may be. If it’s safe and within normal weight levels then great, drive it till it has nothing less and enjoy.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
If you keep the options reasonable it's easy to get any of the diesel HD trucks for less money than a mid to upper trimmed half ton or gas HD. It always amuses me when I hear or see a comment that diesels aren't worth the money coming from a guy driving a high end half ton or gas HD. I guess we all have different priorities.

I know of a lot of older farmers that drove 3/4 ton trucks for years that simply got tired of the rougher ride when driving in fields and have switched to 1/2 ton upper trim level trucks and love them for their comfortable smooth ride.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:

I am glad to see you don't want other members posting regarding their preference for gas or diesel, for forever. Yet, here you are reading all the posts and posting yourself in the same thread!

I suggest you sit back and relax, after all, it is Friday.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Nickthehunter you hurt my feelings. Now I might have to go to my safe space and pet my puppy.
Happy travels!