Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 7 Pin Connector From Truck to Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 7 Pin Connector From Truck to Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Cardinals

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had an issue that happened now on two separate Silverado 2500's. When I would plug the trailer plug into the 7 pin receiver on the truck I would get an error message saying "Check Trailer Wiring". I had thought the connection was loose as the lights, breaks, etc worked.

In May I purchased a 2019 Chevy Silverado and now get the exact same message. The trailer was in for repair work that last two days and they checked the plug and said it was fine.

On my way to truck dealer now to see if they have a suggestion...

Thanks for any input.

ps: I did used diaelectric on it but to no avail.

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the truck have factory trailer brake controllers or aftermarket?

I have seen open or shorted trailer brakes can throw errors.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's happened on two different trucks, I'd say it points to the trailer wiring. An intermittent short can be a bear to nail down. Sorry to hear. Hope they get it sorted out for you.

As a side note, my buddy has a boat and we've found that the connectors in the plug for both the truck and the pigtail can get moved around and will sometimes make intermittent contact, so a little corrosion combined with being a little pushed out of alignment and we'll see issues with the brake lights, electric winch, etc.

2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

bosworthj

Central Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got my 2016 2500 this Summer and it was doing the same thing on the way back from our first trip. It was pulling and stopping fine but the dinging every five minutes was annoying. I cleaned out the truck side of the plug really good and I also used something to bend in the connectors on the trailer side a little. They were pretty spread out from years of use. Things were fine from then on. I did the get message on our last trip, but it only lasted for a second and I never saw it again. It was after I had went over a bump, so I am wondering if that might have caused it. There are lots of threads about this similar issue on the web though if you do a Google search.

Jay Bosworth

2007 GMC Sierra 1500 ext cab Z71 w/towing package

2016 Fun Finder by Cruiser 265RBSS

WayneAt63044

St. Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A common place the brake wiring shorts to ground is where the wire goes into the axle tube. Just pull the wire a bit and see if the wire insulation is chafed exposing the wire.

2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on a whim I did a quick internet search about this. The issue seems to be mostly related to either a poor ground connection or poor brake wire connection.
If it was my truck I would look at the trailer plug and see if it's possible to remove some screws and open it up. If so then pull the screws and slide the outer shell off the trailer plug exposing the wiring connections. Inspect and tighten each wiring connection making sure that the bare wire is fully trapped under the end of the screw. Then put the plug back together.

If all is tight then try cleaning the ground connection on the trailer to the plug on the trailer. Or clip a standard jumper cable (for jump starting vehicles) from a ground on the trailer to a ground on the truck. Bungee or tape the jumper cable up out of harms way and go for a drive.

If it still fails you'll want to inspect the brake wiring from the trailer plug all the way back to each individual wheel. Look for exposed wiring or places where the wire might be pulled tight across a corner and rubbed through.

If all this fails to resolve the issue then I would by a $10 spool of wire at Home Depot and cut every brake wire behind the wheel. Then run a temporary wire from the plug to one wheel at a time and go for a careful drive. Keep swapping and testing until you can isolate which wheel is tripping the message.

Here Chevy has a bulletin about it that basically says check the trailer wiring.
Link

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cardinals wrote:

I have had an issue that happened now on two separate Silverado 2500's. When I would plug the trailer plug into the 7 pin receiver on the truck I would get an error message saying "Check Trailer Wiring". I had thought the connection was loose as the lights, breaks, etc worked.

In May I purchased a 2019 Chevy Silverado and now get the exact same message. The trailer was in for repair work that last two days and they checked the plug and said it was fine.

On my way to truck dealer now to see if they have a suggestion...

Thanks for any input.

ps: I did used diaelectric on it but to no avail.

Just for curiosity, is the truck running when you plug or unplug it? My Ram will throw an error if I leave the truck running and then unplug the trailer. However, if I shut the engine off and then restart it, the error will have cleared.

Bill J., Lexington, KY

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on my second GM truck in 2 years. The first, a 2018 1500 sierra did the same thing. Had the 7pin replaced under warranty because it seemed to be full of water after every rain, wash, etc. Still gave the error after replacement so I too hought it was the trailer. It was not.

What I found was this. My theory: For some reason on these new GM trucks, we (I had to any way) have to set up the trailer emergency brake plug FIRST before plugging in the 7pin (needed to be dead power to trailer). Putting power to my trailer first and then connecting the trailer brake was giving me the error. No idea why. But when I set up the trailer e-brake first, power second - Never had another error. Give it a try.

After all that though, it truly could be the trailer. My 2 cents.

2019 Keystone Outback 250URS
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get to a trailer place and have them look at the issue...they are the ones who should be able to give you an answer.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I have been using electrical contact grease on my connectors I haven't had any problems with error messages. It helps prevent corrosion and aids the conductivity of the pins.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 7 Pin Connector From Truck to Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.