cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tie switch into existing light

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
My Current TT has a switch on the control pad to turn on the over head lights in the living area, but that is the only switch. The other lights (all LED) have a little button in the middle to press and turn on. I was wondering if it is possible and how easy it would be to tie the light in my bedroom and the light in our bunkroom to a switch on the wall? I want to mount one to the entertainment center on the other side of the bedroom and one on the wall coming into the bunkroom (as my kids cannot reach the light on the ceiling). I don't do much electrical but is it pretty straight forward? Can it be done? Has anyone ever done it? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to run a wire from where the light is to where you want the switch to be. Get a switch and a box (if necessary) and mount the switch in the wall. Connect up the wires properly and your done. Easier said then done. The hard part is running the wire between the two and mounting the switch (if you are at all concerned about aesthetics), connecting the wires is a 10 minute job.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Could use 12v remote control switches. Velcro the controller where you like it and treat as a wall switch.

One negative is some use the same frequency as a tv remote control. Hitting the volume up button for example might turn the light off and on.

There are remote control PWM dimmers. I love them as it allows dimming. Night lights for kids. If you boondock its awesome because amp draw gets super low like 0.02a. Still makes enough light for kiddos to see.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can add switches, how to do it is the question. Ceilings usually have some form of insulation, mine are preformed foam and the is little or no airspace. Exterior walls almost assuredly will have foam insulation. Fishing wires is a matter of skill and the right tools.

I googled "plastic self adhesive wire moldings, and got lots of different surface moldings and raceways and cord covers.

I've always tried to keep my mods hidden, keeping the walls looking original has always been a priority with me.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you, I would look up the proper wiring for two three-way switches on the Internet. Then you can decide for yourself whether you can accomplish it. Yes it is possible but may not be very easy.
Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer