cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery cut off switch

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Out of couriuosly, do oem"s install battery cut off switches to cut all power or leave some power "un-interuped".

(Wondering if my tt is wired right.)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
12 REPLIES 12

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
troubledwaters wrote:
edbehnke wrote:
IF YOU WANT ALL OF THE ELECTRICAL SHUT OFF DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES. the cutoff switch DOES NOT turn everything off.
My factory installed cutoff switch turns everything off.
Mine too, the 02 detector runs off a 9v battery, so is not connected to the house batteries.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
In our 2009 Jayco Greyhawk Class C, the battery disconnect turned everything off except the converter. I learned that the hard way when I replaced the converter. Fortunately, it was just a shower of sparks with no injury.

The CO and Propane detector ran off the house battery and the ignition side of the chassis battery. Which was a nice reminder to disconnect the battery when putting the MH in storage. Whenever the detectors lost power, they would give a little chirp. If I didn't hear the chirp when turning off the ignition, I knew I forgot to disconnect the battery.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the RV maker as to what works with the battery switch turned off. I've seen some where the slides work with the battery turned off. Then there are some trailers, North Trail for instance, that has no disconnect.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
The odds of towing after forgetting to turn them back on is exceeding large. That is an unnecessary risk.
The risk of me towing with my disconnect switch off is infinitely small, because mine kills everything when its off. This includes the front jacks, which need to operate to hook it back up to the truck.

That is my opinion. Most of the time when I have trailers breakaway, the safety chains hold. :B

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bobbo wrote:
The odds of towing after forgetting to turn them back on is exceeding large. That is an unnecessary risk.
The risk of me towing with my disconnect switch off is infinitely small, because mine kills everything when its off. This includes the front jacks, which need to operate to hook it back up to the truck.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
My Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel allows power to CO2 detector and one slide. The slide when closed blocks access to the rear of the 5th wheel.

I installed a separate cut off to kill all power when stored.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every RV is different. My Class C Winnebago, it disconnected everything. My Airstream, it didn't disconnect the propane detector (I remedied that), the subwoofer (now in the top of a closet at home), or the inverter (has its own disconnect switch now). It also doesn't disconnect the breakaway brakes, as it shouldn't. If the breakaway brakes ever short out, the odds that you are there to turn them off is exceeding small. The odds of towing after forgetting to turn them back on is exceeding large. That is an unnecessary risk.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some factory installs do not turn off everything and that needs corrected. I also connect the breakaway wiring after the switch so that I can quickly disconnect power if there is a short rather than watch the wiring burn or worse.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
edbehnke wrote:
IF YOU WANT ALL OF THE ELECTRICAL SHUT OFF DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES. the cutoff switch DOES NOT turn everything off.
My factory installed cutoff switch turns everything off.

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
IF YOU WANT ALL OF THE ELECTRICAL SHUT OFF DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES.

the cutoff switch DOES NOT turn everything off.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For a trailer, the breakaway braking system will (or at least should) always be wired directly to the battery, bypassing the cut-off switch. Of course, it doesn't consume any power unless activated.

Other things are entirely up to the manufacturer. As Bob said, many have at least the CO and propane detectors unswitched, and possibly a few other odds and ends (the memory wire for a radio, for instance).

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that most mfg's leave at least the CO detector hooked up. When most people install them they do it close to the battery and cut off everything.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand