cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Sat Signal Strength

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Just had Dish installed including a Hopper 3. The Sat signal strength show about 50%. With DirecTV the signal strength was 99 to 100%. Clear sky view. So for Dish subscribers, is this about normal or do I have an issue with the dish adjustment? Thanks. Chuck
5 REPLIES 5

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
chuckbear wrote:
Just had Dish installed including a Hopper 3. The Sat signal strength show about 50%. With DirecTV the signal strength was 99 to 100%. Clear sky view. So for Dish subscribers, is this about normal or do I have an issue with the dish adjustment? Thanks. Chuck

Where are you? 101 (also 99 and 103) the DirecTV birds are basically south of Kansas.. 119 (center bird for Dish) is west of south of Calfornia. If you are in the Eastern US it's a long long way to 110/119/12x (whever it is) and inverse squared applies.

He's using the Dish eastern arc sats, John. 61.5 and 72.7 (+77 depending on the dish/LNB). His 50% signals are nominal for that arc...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
chuckbear wrote:

Where are you? 101 (also 99 and 103) the DirecTV birds are basically south of Kansas.. 119 (center bird for Dish) is west of south of Calfornia. If you are in the Eastern US it's a long long way to 110/119/12x (whever it is) and inverse squared applies.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'm on the Eastern Arc. Max showing 50%. Chuck

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:

Eastern Arc 72.7, 52-58 is about max (transponder 5)

Western Arc 119, 62-68 is about max (transponder 11)

Both of the above are on a clear day (1000.4 dish).

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Those are pretty normal numbers for Dish Hoppers. Dish redid the scale some years back, bringing the percentages more in line with reality. I've gotten up in the low 70's at times on the western arc, but the eastern arc sats are usually in the ~50 range.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate