cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic refer - Door flange condensation heater

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been searching for the posting where the wires entering the lamp/switch box can be cut to disable the condensation heater.

Mine doesn't have the factory switch, so I wanted to snip & cap off the wire to the heater strip. There's a larger and smaller wire on both the red and back wires. Logic would say to snip the heavy wire, but I think that's the power lead in. The heater strip probably is the smaller wires.

Can someone (re)educate me on this - and/or post a link to the original post?

Thanks in advance!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
6 REPLIES 6

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perfect, SoundGuy! That's exactly the information I was looking for.

Take care, and RV on!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The thicker of the 2 red wires going to the fridge light feeds power to the climate control circuit. I wired in as SPST toggle switch but you could just cut the wire if you don't intend to ever have the heater on.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
DFord, don't jump to conclusions about my usage model - We'll be boondocking for a few days, and not yet having solar, I'm trying to make the most efficient use of the batteries while we are in the dry high desert. I'll make the decisions about when I want the heater to run, and when I want it turned off.

DM2652RBX.

The heater strip is wired in parallel to the light/switch on most of these models.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You really need to look at the specific wiring diagram on yours- Dometic wired these differently, depending on the product number (not model number).
-- Chris Bryant

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that heater is there for a purpose. It's there to prevent condensation. Any time the dew point is higher that the surface protected by the heater, there will be condensation occurring leading to rust sooner or later. There in the Wilmette Valley, dew points are regularly in the 50 to 60 degree range. When in desert areas where the dew point is below 25 degree condensation won't be an issue and those with a switch could safely turn the heater off. Around St Louis where I live, we often have dew points near and sometimes over 70 degrees so those heaters are a must.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Which model of the refer?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker