Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Gas Mileage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas Mileage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Chevrolet 3500 6.0 gas to tow our fifth wheel. Has anyone tried using Premium gasoline to see if your gas mileage would change? Just curious. Thanks

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I have an 09 with the 6.0 pulling around 10k. I also has it programmed through Blackbear and my towing tune is 89. I get 8-9 pulling that weight with the tune. Prior was 7.5-8 mpg. But I live in Florida so yours might be different due to elevations ect. The best way I save fuel is just drop the speed some. The 6.0 doesn’t drink as much fuel under 70mph. Over that like 75 it drops of course. Hope this helps.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Octane has nothing to do with mileage.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Krusty

Calgary, Alberta,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it did improve your mileage a tiny bit, it would still never offset the higher cost of the premium fuel.

Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

It sure does if the knock sensor detects knock and the ignition timing is adjusted to compensate.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

It sure does if the knock sensor detects knock and the ignition timing is adjusted to compensate.

Yes it does. I proved it on my V-10 Excursion. Used to run 87 and power and mileage were down horribly! Switched to 93 and it improved. The. I got a tune from 5 star for 89 octane and it was better. My truck was over maintained so it was running 100%. You may not see a lot more mileage but you should feel the performance.

OP. Only you can decide. Run 2 tanks while towing and see for yourself.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only way to improve the mpg on that truck would be to install the Duramax kit. [emoticon]

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speed and wind resistance will make the biggest difference in mileage.

wrgrs50s

Scurry, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

Yes it does. I proved it on my V-10 Excursion. Used to run 87 and power and mileage were down horribly! Switched to 93 and it improved. The. I got a tune from 5 star for 89 octane and it was better. My truck was over maintained so it was running 100%. You may not see a lot more mileage but you should feel the performance.

OP. Only you can decide. Run 2 tanks while towing and see for yourself.

Actually you are all correct

If when new, your vehicle manufacturer states that regular gas is all that is required then you will not get any benefit from running premium gas. Your engine is already running as efficient as it can.

If your engine is very high mileage and has substantial carbon build up in the combustion chamber, it may slightly increase compression to the point of pinging under load. In that case you would get a benefit from premium fuel. The higher octane will only assure a more efficient fuel burn, preventing the pre ignition ping as some call it. When the knock sensor detects poor fuel burn/pinging the computer will adjust the timing in an effort to reduce the harmful detonation. This will reduce performance and mileage. So in this case yes it will help you get back to where it used to be before the carbon build up happened. But still no gain from when the engine had no carbon build up.

The only thing that will improve power is compression. Performance engines manufactured with higher compression pistons or crank strokes will require a higher octane fuel. Those cars will recommend to only use premium fuel.

So, too low of octane can cause detonation and reduce power and mileage, but once the balance of octane is achieved to eliminate preignition, it has reached it's ultimate goal. There's nothing left for it to do.

Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Copperhead

Central Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The L96 6.0 in my 2015 Chevy 2500HD, I find that using E85 I get much better overall experience with hauling, towing, etc. Fuel mileage does indeed tank considerably by using E85, but compared to mid grade and especially premium fuel cost, the actual cost per mile by using E85 is still far less than using those other fuels, and equitable compared to regular.

GM engines, the ECM monitors knock events and adjusts timing accordingly. E85 has 100 octane and allows the ECM to advance timing to max in the ECM map. Driving experience is much better. I could get the same result using premium, but the actual cost per mile would be higher.

As has been stated, higher octane will not deliver better mpg, but it can under some circumstances bring about better overall performance efficiency.

A pickup with a trailer is an aerodynamic nightmare that is going to be a real belly drop when it comes to mpg. A more moderate speed, gradual slowing instead racing full bore and then applying a ton of braking, and other little techniques will go a lot further to improving mpg. Many commercial fleet studies show that the driver alone accounts for 33% of improvement or degradation of fuel economy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas Mileage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.