Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Low priced Danfoss fridges
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Low priced Danfoss fridges

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those who have or had had an off-brand (not ARB, not Dometic, Not Engal) I am interested in feedback on the units.
For those who have never used or owned one yet with opinions please PM me instead of posting to the thread.

I have an ARB I loved in my last camper. New camper has propane fridge so I stayed with it, but have reservations. I rather have a compressor fridge. I only ever had issues in NY in the Fall when there was no sun to lite up the solar.

The high price tag of Dometic or Engal ones at over $1k are a deal breaker for me.
Others are priced 600-800 bucks I can live with.
Some might have Danfoss (waeco) compressors, but some might be china copies. Sometimes the copies are near good enough given the price.

All reviews on these on the selling pages look good, but the reviews are always written one week after purchase and not so valuable. Who has really used one and put it to the test?

Brands I see are Iceco and Costway for example.

I only interested in the ones with both a freezer and fridge compartments.

Again, I have an ARB electric fridge, so I am not asking about the one compartment units, only the ones with two compartments that can have a freezer and a fridge option at the same time. I am asking about the lower-priced brands.

* This post was edited 07/26/19 05:02pm by ajriding *

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Engal was like 800 bucks (it is a chest freezer) works great so long as it's well fed with 3 amps of 12 volt .

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nova kool great fridge go to there website. www.novakool.com I have had mine for I think for 3 years. Not a hiccup. I have a pretty big one with a fridge and freezer. They make smaller ones in fact they make lots of models.

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Waeco compressor does appear very similar to Danfoss, but the compressor controller looks shorter and squatter. I think it is a clone of the danfoss.
Perhaps their patent ran out.
perhaps it is just different enough to not violate it

Basically danfoss is the best 12vdc compressor. Though Sawafuji has its partially deaf proponents.

So you are saying I want the cheapest and best and cheapest.and I expect a personalized private message.

Are you a female millenial?

I bought a vitrifrigo c51is in 2013 after my norcold de 0040 failed.

I could have saved 150$ If i bought a TRUCKFRIDGE TF49 instead.

I'm glad I did not.

Good luck.

With everything.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's Engel btw., and it's Japanese and Waeco and Danfoss are one in the same. Waeco bought out Danfoss.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend just had the danfoss compressor go bad on his ~4 year old Novakool.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 1988 I paid 650 dollars each for my 24 volt danfoss units. 24 volt for 18 CF capacity. Upright cabinets. Foot thick insulation.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for feedback.
No, I never said I was looking for the best, just for feedback on these lower priced units.
I am not female looking for a good time, pal. I asked for PM only from those who do not know anything about this topic yet still will have a need to voice their opinion on the subject. If they PM me this will keep the thread clean of junk. If anyone reads the PM is of another matter.
so far, 0-6

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With me, no PM needed. We own a Dometic Cool box 2 compartment (freezer and fridge) unit that resides on the backseat of the truck when camping and in the back of my wife's Suburban when she goes grocery shopping. She uses it to transport frozen food from the grocery home in the summer, we live 25 miles from the grocery store. I also have a Dometic Danfoss fridge in the RV (it's 6 years old), 12 volt and 110 and it's been flawless.

Our good friends have an Engel stand alone, it's trouble free as well. My personal view is the ARB line is overpriced.

First thing I did was pull the ammonia fridge in the RV when I bought it and sold it and replaced it with a compressor fridge, something I believe builders should offer as an alternative to the inefficient 'Amish' fridges. Just like a cassette toilet. 2 modern accessories that need to be at least offered as viable alternatives....and real converters too, not the cheap WIFCO **** that they use today.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will send PM

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Low priced Danfoss fridges
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS