cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Network has tough road to become mobile carrier

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Doesn't look like Dish will be gone any time soon, as predicted by Timmac.

Dish Network has tough road to become competitive mobile carrier
25 REPLIES 25

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest issue with Dish (and also Centurylink) was their deceptive billing practices. They will put you on a "special" rate, and then, after two years, bump up the price. If you call and gripe, they will give you the special rate again. After a $30 bump in Dish price, I decided to go to an RV plan where I could turn on a month at a time. The agent convinced me to go to a "suspended" plan, where for $5.00 per month, I could turn the dish on for a few days at a time, only paying for that time.

At home, we stream just about everything, and we have great OTA coverage. With a Firestick and the firestick box, I can even record. With my ATT plan, I have WatchTV which offers all of the channels that I used on my former Dish account. WatchTV also offers back episodes of most of the shows, so you can watch them at your convenience or binge them.

Where we winter, however, streaming is not possible either with ATT or our park WIFI; therefore, I may decide to turn on Dish.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

When I had Direct TV in my house over 5 years ago for $75 a month the package had about a dozen shopping programs that I did not want to pay for and many other programs me and my wife did not like, I think we only watch 2 channels and many commercials to boot.

Just so you know, those shopping channels, along with a number of religious and other special interest channels, are not included in the package channel counts, nor are you paying for them. In most cases, they pay the sat and cable carriers to include them, not the other way around.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would wait for the simple reason that there are at least two companies launching massive satellite arrays. Musk's company and Amazon. Those arrays will be beaming down data of one sort or another and will probably completely alter the data provider business. For the better I hope.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Thousands of free channels on streaming vs 75 junk channels for a $100 a month with satellite, do the math...

How does streaming turn junk TV into good TV? 1000 junk channels is exactly the same as 75 junk channels. If you don't like what's on TV you won't be any happier streaming.

When I had Direct TV in my house over 5 years ago for $75 a month the package had about a dozen shopping programs that I did not want to pay for and many other programs me and my wife did not like, I think we only watch 2 channels and many commercials to boot.

So we dumped Direct and went streaming in home and RV and never been happier, we have seen streaming grow with many new channels and all the ones you get on satellite plus thousands more, we spend about $350 per YEAR on streaming with few commercials and hundreds of free movies...

Why pay a $1000 per year for junk that you don't want when you can have what you want plus thousands of free extra channels for a lot less $$ and less commercials...

Note my cost per year does not include wifi at home or on the road..
wifi is like water now everyone needs it...

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
. . . he is really ticked off at DirecTV or DISH (one of them ran over is dog or something) . . .

Good one

Thanks! It's just hard to explain his nonsense posts (for RV'ers). I get it that he has a grudge and he is at a S&B location, I just don't know why he posts his BS here.

If everyone stops replying to his nonsense he will go away. This kind of person feeds on your responses. Chuck

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On paper it looks interesting. Might be worth investigating when they roll it out if they roll it out. but I wonder if Dish has forgotten the law enforcement officer (Murphy) and the law he enforces (It will take longer than expected and cost more than planned).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thousands of free channels on streaming vs 75 junk channels for a $100 a month with satellite, do the math...

How does streaming turn junk TV into good TV? 1000 junk channels is exactly the same as 75 junk channels. If you don't like what's on TV you won't be any happier streaming.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
timmac wrote:

Just get a Roku box for your RV TV and home TV and stream your movies and such, don't waste your money on the old and outdated satellite TV..

And you must have internet, either wired or wireless, for Roku. And since good wired internet at an RV park is essentially nonexistent, and good cell service frequently doesn't exist in remote areas, Roku is at best a marginal solution.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
hi and i welcome myself to the topic. maybe i am in the wrong spot,just let me know if so. I am in the process of searching for the options of tv service. One of course that i can use while on the road. We do travel about once per week, throughout the year and a couple times a year at about 4 to 6 weeks. so with that said, i am contemplating using a system that i can just plug in at home and also take it with me while traveling. Cox as far as i know doesn't offer something like this. First off, am i in the right place? secondly, am i crazy? We do have cell service and wifi that i will not change as it has been good in 99.99999 % of all places we have been, even at home whencable is down. Thanks in advance. Jeff & Karen

Just get a Roku box for your RV TV and home TV and stream your movies and such, don't waste your money on the old and outdated satellite TV..

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
hi and i welcome myself to the topic. maybe i am in the wrong spot,just let me know if so. I am in the process of searching for the options of tv service. One of course that i can use while on the road. We do travel about once per week, throughout the year and a couple times a year at about 4 to 6 weeks. so with that said, i am contemplating using a system that i can just plug in at home and also take it with me while traveling. Cox as far as i know doesn't offer something like this. First off, am i in the right place? secondly, am i crazy? We do have cell service and wifi that i will not change as it has been good in 99.99999 % of all places we have been, even at home whencable is down. Thanks in advance. Jeff & Karen

Streaming services might be the answer for you in today's market depending on what your viewing habits are.
Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
StephJohn2010 wrote:
Dish doesn't have the talent to compete in today's world. Just like IBM, GE, etc.

Hmmm, a successful satellite TV service, a successful business communications and Internet satellite service, the leading streaming TV service, and now a ready-made entry into the prepaid cell phone market that includes hundreds of existing retail outlets and hundreds of knowledgeable talented employees in both front and back office positions to add to their huge spectrum holdings. Yep, there's no way they can compete.

I learned long ago to never count Charlie Ergen out of anything...
Dutch

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
. . . he is really ticked off at DirecTV or DISH (one of them ran over is dog or something) . . .

Good one

Thanks! It's just hard to explain his nonsense posts (for RV'ers). I get it that he has a grudge and he is at a S&B location, I just don't know why he posts his BS here.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Good one
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs