Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dish Network has tough road to become mobile carrier
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish Network has tough road to become mobile carrier

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't look like Dish will be gone any time soon, as predicted by Timmac.

Dish Network has tough road to become competitive mobile carrier

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Um Note from the article I posted below, Dish Network is spending 10 billion on 5G internet NOT its current dying satellite company..

Even Dish Network is putting there money in the new future, not the old dying past where Bill.Satellite is standing..
[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Dish has said it will spend $10 billion on the second phase of its network buildout

“The idea that Dish might spend $10B and then somehow be finished is, well, just silly,” he wrote.
Analysts with New Street Research had a more positive view of Dish’s chances, given its network will be built from the beginning with 5G, the new wireless standard just beginning to roll out.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So in 18 to 24 months it will be called Dish Internet Network and the Satelite part will be no more ?

Just like Radio Shack that died off do to computers/internet so will satelite TV service to streaming...

Bye Bye satelite TV...

* This post was edited 07/26/19 06:27pm by timmac *

Solo

NE Kansas/Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 03:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since this forum is for RVers and before this thread gets shutdown (as I suspect it may be headed that way again!), if you are thinking about making a switch away from your satellite provider, do a bit of research. As more and more technology is making the streaming services attractive to RVers, be cautious of how your chosen provider operates. Hulu Live as an example offers some very attractive pricing but, to limit the sharing of accounts, they utilize geolocation of your "home network" via static IP addressing. Hulu limits a customer to 4 moves per year so as an RVer who is using their RV to move, that could be an issue. Hulu of course is not the only choice but, they are also not the only providers beginning to use IP addressing to limit usage. Do a quick search on "Hulu and dynamic IP addressing" if you are thinking about using your new 4g technology and ditch satellite. Dish and Direct TV may not be dead just yet and who knows, as more streaming providers get tired of you sharing your password with friends, geolocation static IP addressing may make traveling with an RV and attempting to stream entertainment the real dinosaur! That's why I love having choices and being able to select what works for me. Sounds like Dish may be shoring up it's portfolio which will only give me more choices!

Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System
Our Travel Blog VolunteersWithAPurpose

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Satellite service will be around for a long time, but perhaps not for what we all know as TV. Not every where in the US you can still NOT get OTA TV, Internet service of any kind other than by satellite, cell phones from any carrier can enter the dead zone (No calls, no data). And yes, there are still many places that won’t work with satellite due to geography. Heck we’re still paying taxes to help pay for the landlines that remote households still use.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of our favorite places have little to no OTA, cell is weak when you can get it, and the parks do not have cable. Satellite is the only option if you want TV. In these rural and remote areas that is not going to change for years to come. 5G (or whatever the next latest and greatest tech advancement) is probably the ultimate answer. But not until years from now until that system is built out.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found that if I tilt my head just right when wearing my tin hat I can get a stronger signal.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm curious what the 5G is going to do for us camping folks...

I think they want everyone to use their cell phones for everything now...

Going to be interesting for sure...

We are still RV CAMPERS not RV Travelers...

Roy Ken
[image]

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just have to ask...Timmac, why does it excite you so much to see the demise of satellite?

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is like Lemmings......chasing the latest "quick buck" over a cliff.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish Network has tough road to become mobile carrier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.