Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tire Rotation Not Needed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tire Rotation Not Needed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Took my 2015 Silverado 2500 to the Chevy dealer for a regular oil and filter change, and tire rotation. The service writer told me the tires did not need to be rotated because the tires with the most tread were already on the rear. (I have 8/32's on the rear tires and 7/32's on the front tires.) I have never heard of such an idea. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I disagree with the service writer and would insist or even do the job myself. It seems that a few years ago businesses started with this line that you always have to have the tires with the most tread on the rear. So now when you buy tires with free rotation you can't actually get a free rotation. A 32'nd of an inch difference front to rear is a ridiculously small amount to deny rotation.

But I also remember a service writer friend who calculated that paying an half labor (say $50) for a tire rotation every 5,000 miles would cost a set of new tires by 60,000 miles. $50 times 12 services = $600 So it's possibly cheaper to just never rotate the tires and save the money for the replacements.

* This post was edited 07/27/19 11:57am by opnspaces *

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a lazy service dept.
I get my vehicles serviced Every 6 months and may only have 2 or 3 thousand miles, they rotate tires every time. Rotating keeps wear even and tread edges from rounding off.

Lee & Jane
2007 Ford F 150
back on the camping trail, bought another Aliner.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the service writer.

I want the tires with the most tread on the back because they are the drive tires and wear the fastest. When towing the drive tires wear the fastest by a long shot.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to say that when I bought the truck, it came with 20 complimentary oil & filter changes and 20 complimentary tire rotations. I think I still have about 17 of each left, so that makes the situation even more galling!

bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a good idea to do it anyway so the wheels don't weld themselves to the brake disks and then you can't get them off when it comes time to change a flat. It also gives you a chance to inspect the bearings and calipers. You're greasing the caliper sliders and ball joints regularly, right? A'15 2500 has a bunch of grease zerks in the front end that require regular service.

AlmostAnOldGuy

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect the reason your front tires have less tread then the back is because unloaded you have more weight on the front axel than on the rear. This is even more so if you are running a diesel.

Also, you and I live in some country that can get wet. If I am plowing through some water on the road I want the front tires which do most of the braking and steering to shed water well.

So if you think these apply to you I would rotate.

Take it easy,
Stu

2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I want the tires with the most tread on the back because they are the drive tires and wear the fastest. When towing the drive tires wear the fastest by a long shot.

Showing my age but back in the day, we were always told the best tires should be on on the front. Rear tires don't steer in wet weather and blow outs on the front are far more catastrophic. By rotating tires wear even.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get an e-mail from Discount tire ----Time to rotate and check air pressure

Service is FREE

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rightlaneonly wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Showing my age but back in the day, we were always told the best tires should be on on the front. Rear tires don't steer in wet weather and blow outs on the front are far more catastrophic. By rotating tires wear even.

This is a towing forum. Tires that have a lot of weight on them (from towing a TT or 5er or camper) wear the quickest. Trucks with a lot of torque (think of diesel trucks) really burn up the rear tires.

The whole idea of rotating tires is to have them all wear at the same rate. If the OP's tires with the most wear were already in the front there is no reason to put them on the rear for faster wear. That defeats the whole purpose of rotating them in the first place.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tire Rotation Not Needed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.