cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Assistance with opening bathroom roof vent

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
The roof vent in my 5th wheels bathroom is out of reach for me and my wife. I know that they sell devices such as the Barker 29070 Vent Stick and Kwik Stik RV Roof Vent Extension Handle but they cost about $25 and $40 respectively on Amazon.

Has anyone made there own device? Can you share it with us?

Thanks!
Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
11 REPLIES 11

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
OP and spouse cannot reach the knob to open the vent, not to turn it on and off is the way I read post.

You're right but turning the knob the little pin comes up and the unit turns on.
That was what I was thinking just didn't phrase it right. The switch usually stay in the on position. But the switch usually on the wall is either off or on.
I didn't know they didn't install wall switches any more. Our 2002 Holiday Ramble had one in the bath room and probably the other two did,. I don't remember though. Don't think we ever used them except maybe the one in the kitchen area.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Walgreens and pick up a reacher from the medical goods department. We have one to close the roof vent and to reach items to far away
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
I used one of these extensions on one fan that my wife was too short to reach. On a fan in the middle that was taller I used two. I had to get a 8-32 threaded rod from Lowes and hold in on with a double nut (screw in the rod first, then slide on the extensions, then the knob, then the nuts. Assemble loosely first and Mark the length and cut off the rod and then reassemble and tighten the nuts.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP and spouse cannot reach the knob to open the vent, not to turn it on and off is the way I read post.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Usually they have a wall switch in the bathroom and other areas where the fans are.
A lot of people like my wife can't reach the switch n the unit either.
We had to replace the fan, in the shower area, last month. Figured 79.00 or so. Instead wee ended up with one from CW, that is remote with rain sensor and 7 speeds. 249.00 probably less expensive on the net. Don't damage the old surround.
new one was quarter inch too tall inside the ceiling. The plastic is too brittle to be cut easily. Will perhaps get a wood shop or find some info on how to cut it.Certainly won't be trying my Dremel, for now, anyway.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Have you considered getting a Fantastic Fan?

Several models to choose from including one in the Model 7350 series that is all automated. It comes with a remote so you don't have to reach up there.

It also has a rain sensor too so the lid will close automatically if you are away and rain shows up.

If the OP is reluctant to speed $25 to $40 on a ready made solution he's certainly not going to spring for an entirely new FanTastic vent fan, particularly one of the more expensive models. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We keep a two step folding stool in the camper. It's great for opening the vents in the 5th wheel and to get to the top shelf of the cabinets more easily. We paid $11 for it at Walmart.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I used a speed wrench, (you know, the crooked handle thing like your stabilizer tool) and fashioned a wood piece with two dowels to go between the indents on the vent knob. It works well and for higher vents I just add an extension or 2. I have seen the PVC pipe thingy too and its a good cheap way to go.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What about one of these? Pick up tool

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a piece of plastic pipe and fashion the necessary form on the end to open the vent. That's what I did with the living room fan, which is waaay out of reach.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Have you considered getting a Fantastic Fan?

Several models to choose from including one in the Model 7350 series that is all automated. It comes with a remote so you don't have to reach up there.

It also has a rain sensor too so the lid will close automatically if you are away and rain shows up.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com