Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: RV Weather Station
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Weather Station

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK...

You need several feet above a structure for your temp sensor to be reasonable, and it should be in the shade. Every day I see on the internet a sensor that's obviously in full sun making it useless.

An anemometer should be really high. Most home units are not, rendering their readings irrelevent. On the back of my unit at 14 feet, blocked by trees and another unit; not much point to it. If I was a 1/3 mile down at
the lakefront it would be tremendously different.

So put your temp sensor in the shade and be happy.

-jbh-

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

hotpepperkid wrote:

This is the best wx station not cheap but the best

Beyond a doubt, Davis Instruments makes the best. We have had a home station for 25 years now (It's analog) and no issues.

That's what I'm seeing too. I'm leaning toward the Davis Vantage Vue.

I like the AcuRite color displays, but Davis seems the most rugged -- which I require.

I'll mount the weather sensor array on an outside expandable "flag" pole.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

97chevor

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well with smart phone I check weather.gov

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Weatherbug.com. Done.

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

You can get all of that online.
ventusky

The Internet-based weather solutions aren't always an option . . . like my current screaming 40 - 60 kbps Canadian connection.

Besides, I want to know conditions at ground zero.

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

The Internet-based weather solutions aren't always an option . . . like my current screaming 40 - 60 kbps Canadian connection.

Besides, I want to know conditions at ground zero.

This, I don't like those online apps at all. Good for forcasts but not your current location.

I know someone that uses the Davis Weatherlink and it is great.

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phil-t wrote:

I know someone that uses the Davis Weatherlink and it is great.

Tx. Good to hear. It's just a klunky set up which would have to be done every time I moved because you don't want to leave one of those modules up while you're traveling.

If you're interested, here's a Davis Vantage Vue Unboxing and Install . . . by the way, Davis also sells that foldable tripod.

Healeyman

Carrollton, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

Looking for recommendations for a RV weather station (wind speed, temp, barometer).

I have TWO Acu Rite systems which I bought on Amazon.

The 5 sensor array for the home unit is mounted 14 feet over a 6 foot fence so as to get the sensor up into "clean" air for accurate readings.

The home unit has a Wi-Fi connection so that I can see the Home weather on my phone while on the road.

[image]

The sensor array for the RV unit is mounted 8 feet above the roof for the same reason.

The sensor array does NOT stay up when travelling.

In my opinion, it is not a good idea to mount the sensor array on a telescoping "flag" pole. The weight of the array will cause the pole to collapse.

[image]

The link between both sensor arrays and their display is wireless. The sensor array uses 4 AA batteries. I've had the home unit for about 3 years and the RV unit for about 2 years. Battery life seems to be about 9 - 12 months.

Each unit has its own display, here is the information that it shows. The display can be plug-in or battery (6 ea. AA). The display is actually rectangular, but the angle of the picture makes it look funny.

[image]

PM me if you want or need any additional information.

Tim

* This post was edited 07/30/19 08:39am by Healeyman *

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although this is slightly off topic, I have a Lacrosse system in my home. The particular model that I have allows me to access the temperature at my house, wind speed, humidity, and inside temp and humidity remotely via an app. It was around $50, and I have found it very dependable. We spend three months in the valley, and it is very helpful to be able to find out if the house is at a safe temperature. This saves my son having to check it frequency, and, actually, by the time he discovered an issue, it would be too late.

I also have surveillance cameras that I can view via an app.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned two AcuRite weather stations. Both failed about 1.5 years in the Florida weather. Won't buy a third.

We use Davis weather equipment at work. Professional grade, priced accordingly. Get what you pay for.

My next one is Arduino based. Already ordered it, haven't had a chance to build it yet. I can add more hardware, and replace sensors when/if they fail. If you like to tinker with sparky stuff: https://tinyurl.com/y5f9umog

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Healeyman wrote:

The sensor array does NOT stay up when travelling.

In my opinion, it is not a good idea to mount the sensor array on a telescoping "flag" pole. The weight of the array will cause the pole to collapse.

[image]

Tx, Tim, great advice.

2manytoyz wrote:

I've owned two AcuRite weather stations. Both failed about 1.5 years in the Florida weather. Won't buy a third.

We use Davis weather equipment at work. Professional grade, priced accordingly. Get what you pay for.

Yep, that's what I'm hearing. Will probable go with a Davis Vantage Vue. Davis even sells that tripod featured in the YouTube video. Think I would use that over a tall mast.

I just wish that Davis had a better interface . . . it looks like something a geek made in shop class.

Anyway, the Davis outside weather unit is big, klunky and delicate at the same time. Since the outside weather unit must be constantly set up, any thoughts on how to protect it in between set ups?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Weather Station
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS