Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Blue Ridge Parkway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Blue Ridge Parkway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
caysea7254

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are now in Big South Fork National River Recreation Area near Oneida TN. We are wanting to do the Blue Ridge Parkway in areas up to the Skyline drive in Shenandoah National Park. What part of Parkway should we be concerned with pulling a 32ft. 5th wheel? Also which is best route for us to get to the entrance of Blue Ridge near Smokey Mountain National Park? Thank you! Tara

Steve & Tara Smiley
2014 3500HD Silverado
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really should download the BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY Map from GOOGLE which will have all the tunnels and other roadside info such as where to get gasoline and food stops along the way... The speed limit is max at 45 but you will find a lot of much lower speeds along the route. You will also find a lot of motorcycle and some slow drivers looking at things... Got to be really on your toes sometimes...

You also should check the road map and not get off just anywhere along the parkway as some of the less traveled exits may really be sharp turns and long upgrades... I would plan on only getting on and off at the major road crossings...

Also where there are tunnels your 5th wheel will want to travel down the middle of the road so you must be very conscious of the on-coming traffic... flash lights etc telling them you are using the middle of the road way...

Wild life is everywhere - never know what may jump across the roadway... Or even going with the traffic... I have seen deer going the same direction I was going and about as fast as I was going haha...

People will also stop just about anywhere if a bear sighting is going on.... They may or may not get completely off the road...

Also note that all of the camp grounds along the route will be dry camping only with no electric hookups... They have water and bathrooms... There will be however just a few roadside stops along the entire 400 mile route where you will find gasoline and restaurant and camp store etc... Parking may be a problem pulling your 5th wheel here as they will be packed big time with Cars and trucks...

Have made the run from Virginia to Tenn several times over the years. Always doing the tent camping however... My favorite camp ground is LOFT MTN... Have camped there many times in my POPUP trailer...

Be sure to download a ROAD MAP of the Blue Ridge PArkway and have it handy... Loaded with great info for all the major things to see and do...

Roy Ken
[image]

Dennis Henderson

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enjoy the Blue Ridge Parkway!

Be aware there is no fuel available anywhere ON the Parkway. You will have to leave the Parkway for fuel.

Denny and Cindy Henderson
fulltiming, currently in the heart of Amish country in Pennsylvania at Mill Bridge Village Camp Resort

caysea7254

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to both of you for your replies we appreciate it! we may rethink this. Maybe head up to Shenandoah National Park via I-81. and do skyline and national park then do blue ridge on way back. Tara

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive in 2017. We found RV campgrounds within easy distance of the Parkway and left the fifth-wheel in camp. We selected "base camps" roughly 100 miles apart

On the parkway, we found that 50 miles one way and return was a about right for one day, since you want to stop frequently at viewpoints, and to spend time at some of points of interest. So we spent two nights at each basecamp. From mile zero of the Blue Ridge to the north end of the Skyline, we used four base camps.

As to taking a trailer on the Parkway, you may find parking at some viewpoints to be limited or impossible with a trailer.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've done the parkway on a motorcycle and in trucks. You really ought to reconsider towing the 5er or a TT or MH for that matter. Lot of traffic and no places to pass most of the time. You really won't make any friends of those who are behind you and likely cause some of them to break some laws trying to get past you.

caysea7254

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone for ur replies! We will not drive it with our 5th wheel will use another route. Thanks again, Tara

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually the BRP is a pretty easy drive. Only the tunnels would give any problems. The roads leading to, and from it are worse than the BRP itself. Do not try to tow up, or down highway 80 to Marion. 226 is also a bad idea. 221 is only steep, and twisty near the top. We tow our 30' TT on the BRP from Linville to Glendale Springs, and would not hesitate to tow any part of the Parkway. We have been camping the BRP for more than 30 years. You will also find picnic areas scattered out along the BRP with picnic tables, and rest rooms. Usually close to the CGs.

The NP CGs on the BRP are pretty nice, but primitive. However they are VERY quiet. they are also cool, even in the summer. You don't need AC to sleep well at night. You may need a blanket though. All have dump stations.

enjoy the Parkway, and take your time. Also don't try to take your 5er in to Blowing Rock. Just not room.
To do the entire BRP. give yourself at least a week. So much to see, and do. From where it ends in Cherokee NC, to Va. It does not go into Tenn.

There are a few private CGs with full hookup on, or just off the parkway. Bear Den, near Little Switzerland, Raccoone Holler, at Glendale Springs, and Miller Camp, near Laurel Springs.

I do agree. Run Cg to CG, unhook and then go enjoy the overlooks

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

caysea7254

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Terryallan for ur info! Very appreciated! Tara

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with Terry, the only thing I would even give thought to would be the tunnels, most will give you no trouble, there are a couple low ones.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Blue Ridge Parkway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS