cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garbage disposal?

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to add a garbage disposal to an rv sink? Obviously you would have to cap off the piece that usually runs to dishwasher and run a dedicated wire to a switch . Can and rv gray water system handle it? Has anyone tried this?
29 REPLIES 29

harris2020
Explorer
Explorer
Waste King L-3300 Legend Series 3/4 HP Continuous Feed Operation Garbage Disposer is the ***Link Removed***modern best garbage disposal brand known to me so far. It has longest warranties in the industry. By following instructions in ***Link Removed***https://smartgarbagedisposal.com/ it is very easy to install , just follow the instructions. I personally suggest to have its experience at least once.

harris2020
Explorer
Explorer
DilanYah wrote:
Garbage disposals for houses - YES! For RVs - NOPE, due to water usage and bouncing.

The need to run water through the disposal while it is working would use quite a bit of water out of your tank and fill the grey water tank sooner. Not a real problem if connected to city water and a public sewer, but not for drycamping.

The heavy disposal would crack the sink and/or loosen the plumbing when going down a bumpy road. If you decide on getting a garbage disposal, get a lighter one reviewed by ***Link Removed***

Such best information thanks for sharing guys!

harris2020
Explorer
Explorer
DilanYah wrote:
Garbage disposals for houses - YES! For RVs - NOPE, due to water usage and bouncing.

The need to run water through the disposal while it is working would use quite a bit of water out of your tank and fill the grey water tank sooner. Not a real problem if connected to city water and a public sewer, but not for drycamping.

The heavy disposal would crack the sink and/or loosen the plumbing when going down a bumpy road. If you decide on getting a garbage disposal, get a lighter one reviewed by ***Link Removed***https://www.smartgarbagedisposal.com/

Hey this the best information i was looking for from the long time! Garbage disposal is best always for sink! I would like to hear more about garbage disposal units in future!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Most of the negatives are just inconveniences. But if one doesn't understand that the food and grease will build up and get stuck in the gray tank, not only reducing the gray capacity but the stink of rotting food. I'd rather my gray water "clean the dump hose" after dumping black.
But your rv, your rules. It'll work. I just see it as more work to keep up with the garbage disposal. And you'd an only use it where you have convienet/ endless water/dump capabilities.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there enough water for the GD and the hot tub? Priorities man, priorities. :R
Puma 30RKSS

eend
Explorer
Explorer
Your camping, no need for those fancy gadgets. Id say don't put a garburator in your RV, there are plenty of garbage cans around the campground and going for walk to the garbage can, don't hurt no one, it will get your ass out of the chair.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
High five to being lazy!! Im more of a slob. Party all night. Make a bunch of late night food. Worry about dishes the next day.

Im spoiled in the sense that i take them outside and blast off the dried food with a garden hose. Then bring into the trailer for a soap wash.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I think the whole problem is laziness, wipe the plates and cups down with a couple of paper towels and then go do the dishes.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
wopachop wrote:
I havnt (sic) read a convincing argument towards no.

Personally, I thought the argument about lack of water flow and small drain lines clogging up with the ground up food was pretty convincing. I also thought the increased water usage requiring nearly daily dumping was pretty convincing too. But, that's just me.
None of those examples are valid to me. We all agree youre not gonna dump food down the drain on purpose right? It would be to grind up anything that slips passed.

Water Flow? Thats silly. Fill up the sink and crank the GD when you pull the drain.

Water Usage? Im going to fill the sink anyway. Plus dont the majority of folks here camp with full hookups?

Drain Pipe Size? Lets pretend a piece of food slips down the drain. How would chopping it into smaller pieces be worse for the pipe? Again youre not dumping a pound of leftover pasta down the drain in your RV.

Overall the more i think about it the more i would rather have a grey tank flush than a garbage disposal. If the whole goal is to have a clean and odor free grey tank.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
At home the pipe is 1.5" off the disposer. RV might be 1.25" and is fine.
I assume disposer is more for use when fully hooked up. Even boondocked you just need to run the disposer once a day when draining the wash or rinse water.
As for stressing the sink while travelling, I believe there is more stress and vibration just running the disposer. Not an issue.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
I havnt (sic) read a convincing argument towards no.

Personally, I thought the argument about lack of water flow and small drain lines clogging up with the ground up food was pretty convincing. I also thought the increased water usage requiring nearly daily dumping was pretty convincing too. But, that's just me.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I havnt read a convincing argument towards no. Ive also thought about installing one. Well mostly ive thought about how i dislike when food gets passed my strainer. I wipe dishes down but things still happen. It would be sweet to fire up a GD real quick. Grind it up in hopes it will exit the tank easier being smaller and lighter.

Wouldnt mind a grey tank flush instead of a GD. I got to think heavier food particles get trapped similar to what we see happen in the black tank.

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Park owners may not like greasy food stuff running through their plumbing as well.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I just put the pots and plates out and let the dog lick them clean.