cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New air conditioner problem

Larrysr1957
Explorer
Explorer
I just had 2 new a/c's installed on my 1997 Fleetwood Bounder (15000 in the front and 13,500 in the rear. Its a 30 amp supply motor home. The air conditioner cuts off and wont come back on for hours we are only running 1 of them. Are there any suggestions as to what the problem might be
I am thankful for all your help
13 REPLIES 13

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback! It helps us all when we know the final outcome.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

Larrysr1957
Explorer
Explorer
I discovered the problem. The coach batteries were dead because of a bad charger. The (intellitec) energy management system is 12 volt that allows a 30 amp system to run the air conditioners.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
tommy g wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Didn’t think 30amp would run 2 AC’s? I guess it wont, sure sounds like low voltage to me as well
Both will run at the same time. They will not start at the same time. The "shed" feature of the Intellitec Climate Control handles this.

removed.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
cavie wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Didn’t think 30amp would run 2 AC’s? I guess it wont, sure sounds like low voltage to me as well

OP stated he is only using 1

Yup, just saw that.. helps if I use my glasses when reading!:o

Happens to me all the time
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Need more answers
1. 1997, EMS may be a factor. Do you have the Climate control wall tstat Intellitec system that Fleetwood installs?
2. Or do you just have a Front/Rear manual AC switch?
3. If the previous AC units worked correctly until they failed and then the problem came up with the new install, then the odds are the installer did something wrong. BUT, installing 2 new AC units would not involve messing with the Intellitec system/wiring if you have that.
4. Did you install the SAME brand roof AC units?
5. You state the AC fails. WHICH AC? Does the other one operate OK?
6. BOTH will operate on Genset. What happens when you run the Genset? Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a 30 amp RV they often install an Energy Manager by Intelletec. the purpose of this device is to limit your current consumption to 30 amps. it does this by cutting off one A/C and optionally the water heater depending on what's cooking (Drawing amps) elsewhere. Look for the control center

You can override and switch to the "Other" a/C but you won't get both of 'em on 30 amps less you cheat like I do.. But that is a major re-wire.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
If both of your old ACs would run on the system, I would say that who ever installed the new units did not install correctly. Some how they must have not wired the intellitec climate control correctly. Or that you need a new climate control board.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Both will run at the same time. They will not start at the same time. The "shed" feature of the Intellitec Climate Control handles this.

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Who installed them? Was the Intellitec ECC used and were they wired the same as the old ones?
You said that you were using just one. Does the other AC act the same?
Does it fail on shore power or generator or both?

cavie wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

Yup, just saw that.. helps if I use my glasses when reading!:o
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
are you on shore power or generator? sound like low voltage and the unit is cutting out on thermal
low voltage = high amps which creates high heat,the thermal kick off till it cools down.