cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time to pick your brains about anti sway bars ...

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably here already, but I'll ask anyway. I recently purchased an ATC 8.5X25 bedroom. I've yet to take possession because the dealer said that I need an Anderson Anti-sway hitch for it. Having not pulled something this large (30' and to end), I was reluctant to say no. First, I was told that this $750 hitch was necessary due to how large the trailer hitch is. Is this true? Meaning, are there others available? Secondly, I'm pulling with a 2019 F250 with a 6.7 diesel. Is the anti say bar/hitch really necessary? Obviously I'm a novice, so be kind, lol. Any input appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the 17 and up super duty didn't need weight distributing hitch because the way they designed the receiver. I know that was something Ford advertised.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the knowledge and input. We brought the toy hauler home, Anderson weight distribution and anti sway assembly worked perfectly. I say that because I had no issues. Passed by several semis going much faster than me, lol, and no issues. Only about a 15 mph wind. but again, it was fine.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck will pull it just fine. The anti sway bar/hitch is a good safety measure if and when you come across windy areas and you will.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dedmiston
So L8173?

What did you end up with? Have you brought your new hauler home yet?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
Stepping in as a moderator to give my opinion:

You're seeing a wide range of opinions, many of which I consider to be absolutely wrong and from members who have no experience with toy haulers.

For the sake of the peanut gallery, toy haulers are designed with their axles much further back so they can carry much heavier cargo (bikes, quads, rails, side-by-sides, etc.) in the rear. This means that they have way higher tongue weights than common travel trailers.

Our last trailer was a 30' bumper pull toy hauler. My setup was very safe and it pulled fine, but I had a good WD hitch with heavy duty sway control (not a $140 sway bar). I towed for the first 9-12 months without the sway control and it was a rough ride. The sway control made it much safer and easier to tow.

For starters, don't even consider a friction sway bar. Those are made for much lighter trailers and they'll snap like balsa wood on a trailer this heavy.

When I bought our 30' TH in 2004, I went with the Reese heavy duty weight distribution hitch. One of the reasons I bought this was that it was designed so I could start with the WD hitch and then add the dual-cam sway control later.

Honestly, if you're not already familiar with the concepts and technology and you're as eager to pick up your new rig as most of us were at the time, the $750 for a good Anderson hitch installed properly really isn't that bad. You can go to https://www.etrailer.com to shop around and do some homework and see if it's practical to beat their price. Watch some of their videos and get familiar with the tech.

In the meantime, beware of some of the free advice (including my own) that you're getting here. Some of it is downright horrible.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Sway control is a bandaid for trailers that are unstable because they don't have enough tongue weight. I wouldn't be without a weight distributing hitch but I have zero use for sway control. If I had a trailer that swayed, I'd get rid of it.

Bedlam
I pulled a 22' toy hauler with my F250 that weighed in around 11,500 lbs loaded. I had 1100-1250 lbs tongue weight and always tried to load tail heavy to under 11 percent (my receiver was rated at 12.5k/1250). You will want a weight distribution hitch just to negate any front axle unloading on the truck even if you are running a receiver that can handle that amount of tongue weight. I ran a single friction sway bar and 1200 lb L-bar WDH for seven years and over 70,000 towing miles with good results. Without the friction sway in place, it towed well even in steady side winds but wind guts required more correction than when I had it connected. My trailer was slightly shorter than yours but taller - I think the square footage of the walls would compare evenly and you will have the same experience.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
L8173 wrote:
I should clarify... It's my understanding this is a weight distribution hitch as well as an anti sway bar.

For the safety of you and your family buy both!

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
You must use a WDH. You can buy one with or without anti sway. I would never tow without anti sway. RV travel is suppose to be fun. Been there done that.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are 3 hitches that seem to be the most popular, and get good reviews. Reese Dual Cam, Equalizer, and the Blue Ox Sway Pro. You can read all kinds of debates on hitches, but these 3 seem to work well. I've got the Sway Pro mad I've been real happy with it.

The dealer will many times be about 2-3 times more than you can order the hitch for. Search this forum, and read the reviews, it's kinda likeFord Vs Chevy.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
It might be a weight distribution system with anti-sway bar.

Alone, an anti-sway bar costs only about $40.

And you don't actually need a weight distribution system if you have so much allowance between your truck's tow capability and the actual gross weight of what you are towing.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
If a weight distribution hitch is set up right, you can get away without the anti away stuff.

โ€œYOU HAVE EVERYTHING GAIN AND NOTHING TO LOOSE WITH A GOOD SWAY BAR SYSTEMโ€ Safety should always be your top priority!!!! I like the Reese Dual Cam system.

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
I should clarify... It's my understanding this is a weight distribution hitch as well as an anti sway bar.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If a weight distribution hitch is set up right, you can get away without the anti away stuff.