cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting article: Tesla Semi Electric Motorhome.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
63 REPLIES 63

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wildmanbaker wrote:
Reisender, maybe I was just cheery picking the info, it was a little confusing from one paragraph to another. You are a better man than I finding the true honest websites that are giving true reports. I have searched and didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from most of them. Some seemed to be copied from others, but hey, it is the internet.

That it is. European sales info seems to be less readily available in English. We spend at least some time in Europe almost every year. We have noticed the infrastructure getting more plentiful in some countries in the last few years. Portugal has been on a rest stop DCFC building spree as of late. But much of Europe is seeing lots of infrastructure development. We tend to rent small compact gas cars when we are there as we get off the beaten track a lot. Still, it is quite apparent at many of the rest stops in Germany and France and Holland. I donโ€™t track it closely but read articles from time to time when there. I speak, read and write reasonably fluent Spanish, French and German (and a little Arabic) so its easier to keep up with the news there.

We havenโ€™t been to Norway recently but I hear Electric vehicles are more the norm than the exception there. I think EV adaptation will be more regional here. Pretty high adaptation rate in my province and Quebec but slower in other provinces.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender, maybe I was just cheery picking the info, it was a little confusing from one paragraph to another. You are a better man than I finding the true honest websites that are giving true reports. I have searched and didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from most of them. Some seemed to be copied from others, but hey, it is the internet.
Wildmanbaker

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wildmanbaker wrote:
Reisender, your links do not contain much information about actual sales of all cars, like less than 160 EVs for the month. How many cars are usually sold in a month in Ca.? I don't know about the UK, but the probably quit plugging in because of the way it ran the electric bill up. Now Germany is a different story. Quite a few of the upper class have purchased plug-ins, but do not go far from home because of lack of charging stations, or not knowing where they may be. Hybrids on the other hand, are in great demand. Used one are near nonexistent. Germany saw that they would loose taxes on fuel with EVs, so theyr m have put a penalty on the purchase of them, but it does not end there. Since the own a EV, they added a surcharge on their electric bill. My information if from someone that lives there, not a website. It seems your Damned if you do, and Damned if you don't.

Good morning Wild man baker. I had to check my own link. Iโ€™m not sure what you mean by 160 EVโ€™s for the month. The link I have posted shows more like 15000 for July alone, just in the US. Or maybe I misunderstood your meaning.

Not knowing where charge stations are is not a thing. The cars software knows or one can use any number of apps.

Cheers.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender, your links do not contain much information about actual sales of all cars, like less than 160 EVs for the month. How many cars are usually sold in a month in Ca.? I don't know about the UK, but the probably quit plugging in because of the way it ran the electric bill up. Now Germany is a different story. Quite a few of the upper class have purchased plug-ins, but do not go far from home because of lack of charging stations, or not knowing where they may be. Hybrids on the other hand, are in great demand. Used one are near nonexistent. Germany saw that they would loose taxes on fuel with EVs, so they have put a penalty on the purchase of them, but it does not end there. Since the own a EV, they added a surcharge on their electric bill. My information if from someone that lives there, not a website. It seems your Damned if you do, and Damned if you don't.
Wildmanbaker

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Ummm. The article is about an interim measure to provide power for EVโ€™s. Not semis that donโ€™t exist yet.

Ummm, I guess you didn't read your own link with the initial posting and how the writer states "Tesla Semi would make a great platform for a motorhome". But then this whole thread is about a RV that doesn't exist yet. When Tesla does finally roll out the Frankenstein owners are going to be in for a painful surprise when they start looking for a recharge. And do you really think an over the road driver is going to be happy about a RVs using the megastations at the interstate Flying J?

And the a interim measure is a green failure. Using the numbers listed in the article for the fuel the generator burned, 108.6 liters, and the distance the recharge provided, 1911 km, the fuel usage was equal to 5.65 l/100km or 41 MPG, about what a diesel car with pollution control systems will achieved. As the article stated "about the same fuel efficiency as a diesel BMW 3 series". So how is a diesel generator with no pollution controls used to recharge an EV "greener than you think" as the article headline states?

No idea. But it is a prototype that may be used in interim applications until other infrastructure is installed. Kinda cool.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
Ummm. The article is about an interim measure to provide power for EVโ€™s. Not semis that donโ€™t exist yet.

Ummm, I guess you didn't read your own link with the initial posting and how the writer states "Tesla Semi would make a great platform for a motorhome". But then this whole thread is about a RV that doesn't exist yet. When Tesla does finally roll out the Frankenstein owners are going to be in for a painful surprise when they start looking for a recharge. And do you really think an over the road driver is going to be happy about a RVs using the megastations at the interstate Flying J?

And the a interim measure is a green failure. Using the numbers listed in the article for the fuel the generator burned, 108.6 liters, and the distance the recharge provided, 1911 km, the fuel usage was equal to 5.65 l/100km or 41 MPG, about what a diesel car with pollution control systems will achieved. As the article stated "about the same fuel efficiency as a diesel BMW 3 series". So how is a diesel generator with no pollution controls used to recharge an EV "greener than you think" as the article headline states?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wildmanbaker wrote:
Reisender wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Lots of politicians have made millions with this global warming stuff and to me thats all it is. Is the earth changing? Sure it is and has since the beginning. Must have been camp fires cave men used during the ice ages that started it.:S

This has been my argument. I believe that if you burn wood it still emits carbon. So, billions of campfires would do what to the atmosphere? About what China is doing to it today....

And running a genny to not run your own engine? Seems counter-intuitive.

WW

Kinda why Hibrid sales are falling fast and BEV sales are rising.
Say what? Most manufactures are increasing the hybrid lines. Lets see, 40+ mpg on the highway, mid to high 30s in town. What are the down sides again? Where do you get your information?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/362819/ev-sales-scorecard-july-2019/amp/

This is just for the US. Itโ€™s even more pronounced in Europe. Hybrids are losing grounds to BEVโ€™s. Chevy even thru in the towel with the Volt. Prius is next.

https://www.smart-energy.com/industry-sectors/electric-vehicles/plug-in-hybrid-vehicles-sales-rises-...

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Lots of politicians have made millions with this global warming stuff and to me thats all it is. Is the earth changing? Sure it is and has since the beginning. Must have been camp fires cave men used during the ice ages that started it.:S

This has been my argument. I believe that if you burn wood it still emits carbon. So, billions of campfires would do what to the atmosphere? About what China is doing to it today....

WW

Say what? Most manufactures are increasing the hybrid lines. Lets see, 40+ mpg on the highway, mid to high 30s in town. What are the down sides again? Where do you get your information?
Wildmanbaker

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
dubdub07 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

WW

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Dale.Traveling wrote:
azrving wrote:
But but there are no tailpipe emissions lol

Even better is the statement from the article - "But is it green? Itโ€™s better than putting diesel in a car, says Edwards, because the constant running rate of the gennie uses the fuel more efficiently than idling and accelerating in a car."

You know how many stop signs, red lights and traffic jams there are on the Eyre Highway crossing South and Western Australia, which is where this articles starts? ZERO, and if you do stop you best be well clear of the road otherwise the next road train will run you and your EV over.

Regarding the Tesla RV concept, if they use the semi as a model with even half the 1-megawatt battery pack the semi is likely to have you are in for some long recharge times even if you can achieve a 1C constant rate. Pull in with 1/4 charge remaining and you might as well take a nap since the 50kW diesel charging station is going could take 7+ hours if the generator can give you all 50kW of its capacity and you don't use any power during the charge time. If you somehow make it to a superstation with a 150kW recharge rate your wait is better at around 2 1/2 hour as long as no one is using the other side of supercharge to power up their EV with will drop the rate to 75kW. Make camp at a current US 12kW (50 amp site) RV campsite? 31+ hours. More if you start siphoning off power for habitability. A 30 amp site, you might be there a week.

BTW peak power rates for Western Australia average 36.41 cents (USD) per kWh so fully charge your 1/4 full 500kW Tesla RV battery will be $136.53. That is before whoever you are getting power from adds in any surcharges that will probably consume the $63.72 savings over filling up a 3/4 empty 70-gallon gas tank in 5 or so minutes based on the current gasoline cost for Western Australia.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:
But but there are no tailpipe emissions lol

Even better is the statement from the article - "But is it green? Itโ€™s better than putting diesel in a car, says Edwards, because the constant running rate of the gennie uses the fuel more efficiently than idling and accelerating in a car."

You know how many stop signs, red lights and traffic jams there are on the Eyre Highway crossing South and Western Australia, which is where this articles starts? ZERO, and if you do stop you best be well clear of the road otherwise the next road train will run you and your EV over.

Regarding the Tesla RV concept, if they use the semi as a model with even half the 1-megawatt battery pack the semi is likely to have you are in for some long recharge times even if you can achieve a 1C constant rate. Pull in with 1/4 charge remaining and you might as well take a nap since the 50kW diesel charging station is going could take 7+ hours if the generator can give you all 50kW of its capacity and you don't use any power during the charge time. If you somehow make it to a superstation with a 150kW recharge rate your wait is better at around 2 1/2 hour as long as no one is using the other side of supercharge to power up their EV with will drop the rate to 75kW. Make camp at a current US 12kW (50 amp site) RV campsite? 31+ hours. More if you start siphoning off power for habitability. A 30 amp site, you might be there a week.

BTW peak power rates for Western Australia average 36.41 cents (USD) per kWh so fully charge your 1/4 full 500kW Tesla RV battery will be $136.53. That is before whoever you are getting power from adds in any surcharges that will probably consume the $63.72 savings over filling up a 3/4 empty 70-gallon gas tank in 5 or so minutes based on the current gasoline cost for Western Australia.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting article. Thanks for posting.