Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: solar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"how much solar is too much/not enough/just right."

About like asking, "How long should a piece of string be?"

I get by with a single Group 27 Deep Cycle battery and a single 50 watt panel for weeks at a time. I watch a little television, recharge my phone and other electronics, and operate a couple of lights at night. Others would need ten times that if they want to make coffee, run a refrigerator, and light up the night sky.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever you do...........do a fair amount of research prior to shelling out cash an punching holes in your rig. I think the whole thing starts around getting quality controller mounted close as possible to your battery/s and BIG wire to where ever you mount your panels. Assume what ever you put in won't likely be enough and leave yourself an out to add more to what you've installed. Solar is a kick. Short of running your A/C unit, there is really nothing that can't be powered by some good batteries and a stout solar set up. I love solar. I'm currently 300w and 4 each, 6v Golf Cart Batteries. I plan to add one more 150w panel and clean up the install that the dealer did when I bought my rig. They did OK, and it works good, but with just a little more leg work it could work much better.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys. as always the feedback is appreciated.

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in the PNW and have 100W and 2 2GC batteries. My use case is 3 day trips dry camping throughout the year and one or two extended trips where I either have shore power or the truck alternator to charge. This works ok for me, but the panel won't keep up with daily demand in the winter if I use the furnace or not. The main reason I added the panel was to keep the batteries ready to camp while the trailer is parked, which it does well. If I was full time I would want at least 250 watts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.