cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONAN—again!

chast
Explorer
Explorer
Microlite 2.8 in our ‘97PW will start fine, run for about 5 minutes then quit. I exercise it monthly under load for two hours at a time. Use Seafoam in main gas tank regularly. Seems like it wants to quit when running down the road, especially when the weather temperatures are in the high 80’s/90sF. It doesn’t seem to quit when the vehicle is parked and level. Anybody have any idea why this is doing this and where to begin to fix it? Thanks!
chartrue2@aol.com
3 REPLIES 3

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the fuel pump (common failure item), and the filter. Seemed to help for a bit. I tried the high concentration SeaFoam mix. Didn't help. I ultimately replaced the carburetor, which has it running like new.

Shame they don't sell rebuild kits for their carburetors.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

chast
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Retraite—I have always checked the oil by screwing in the dipstick. I am going to give you suggestion a try and see if it makes a difference!
chartrue2@aol.com

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I'd check is the oil level. If it's just a "smidge" low, it may not be low enough to shut down when parked and level, but a "sloshing" (sort of) of the oil when underway may "trip" the low oil shutdown.

The Microlite 2800, IIRC, is the ONLY Onan genset that has a unique oil level requirement. IIRC, it should be to the "top" of the dipstick/fill hole - by "top" I mean if you added more oil, it would simply drain out of the dipstick hole.

Some folks choose the put the dipstick in the fill hole - not screw it in, just "lay" it in the hole - to check the oil level.

The first way may result in the oil level being a skosh high, but no harm IMHO, so that's what I've used for ten years.

Cheers.