cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Different size bumper caps.

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
As the title states, does anyone know of a company that makes bumper caps in different sizes? Little background...I want to add a bike rack to the rear of my TT. I see so many posts against mounting directly to the bumper that I'm almost scared to. Well I could purchase and install a receiver hitch but opposed to spending $150+ on a tow hitch I figured I'd just replace the thin wall stock bumper with either a piece of 4 1/2" steel tubing. I can buy this, pay to have it welded on, and paint if for less than the hitch would cost.
I want to keep the ability to store my sewer hose inside and use the plastic end caps. From what I can tell the 4 1/2" tube inside dimension is larger than my current bumper tube and my current caps won't stay in. Thus leading to me to my question...does anyone make larger end caps? Suggestions or ideas on something else to use instead?
10 REPLIES 10

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
add some flat metal bar stock 1/2" thick? to the inside of each end of the new bumper you would only have to do 2 pieces in a L shape to make up the difference between the bumper sizes then use the standard size caps.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if it would work for you but, I lost a lot of caps with the standard bumper. So I just drilled a ( slightly larger then 1/4 inch) hole in the top of the bumper and through the top of the cap. Now I just drop a 1/4 inch bolt into the hole.

Since that is a easy size bolt to find if I ever lose it I can quickly find another one.

You could even paint the bolt the color of the bumper if you wanted it to look better.

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
We sell those clamp on hitches for TT bumpers in the parts store. We have them at the parts desk and when someone asks for one, we try to talk them out of it. The parts manager was following a TT with one installed on the road and lost 3 of the 4 bikes on the rack.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Jayco says the bumper is rated for 150lbs which is well within the weight of two bikes and rack. Add in the bouncing and I'm sure you can easily exceed 200lbs.

Glenn, Can you post up a pic of the strap configuration you use? I cant see how a strap angled like that would prevent the bouncing.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We sell those clamp on hitches for TT bumpers in the parts store. We have them at the parts desk and when someone asks for one, we try to talk them out of it. The parts manager was following a TT with one installed on the road and lost 3 of the 4 bikes on the rack.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Drill holes in the top and bottom at the end of your pipe.
Fashion a tee from a coat hangar or whatever round stock you find.
Drop it in the holes. Bend the bottom a tad and it wonโ€™t come out.
Or Zip tie it closed anyhow youโ€™re on the easy path
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
As far as a workaround for end caps.. i lost so many i started using velcro strips, cris-crossed, over the end of the bumper.. another solution would be a piece if cloth or plastic or whatever, held in place by a tight rubber band
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
As far as a workaround for end caps.. i lost so many i started using velcro strips, cris-crossed, over the end of the bumper.. another solution would be a piece if cloth or plastic or whatever, held in place by a tight rubber band
Glenn and Toni

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
What i came up with.. it's not the weight of a bumper-mounted bike rack with two bikes that is the problem...it's the action as the rack bounces down the road with the weight of the bikes on the end what is essentially a lever .. to prevent the leveraged 'jiggling' tha5 can lead to the bumper snapping off, i just run a ratcheting nylon strap from the top of the rack to a point on the frame, underneath the trailer and make it tight .. four trailers / mucho towing over the past ten years, and never even the slightest crack in the welds
Glenn and Toni

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've only seen 2 different sizes. One is the standard 4 inch and a larger one that may be 4-1/2 inches, but I think the 4-1/2 is also a thin walled sq tube.

You might check on the flat plastic vinyl fence post caps found at Lowe's and Home Depot for vinyl fencing. A lot of us use the vinyl posts to make the DIY sewer hose carriers for TT's. Some of the posts and caps run over 4 iniches. They might fit over the ends of the tube you are looking at buying. You can paint them to match, hinge or pin them in place.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Before proceeding you might want to consider Safety Struts by Mount-n-Lock, purpose designed to solve the problems encountered when mounting a bike rack to a trailer's rear bumper.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380