cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Special Trailer Brakes Required in Canada?

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend tell me they had heard that there were some sort of special trailer brakes required in Canada.

Any info on this, truth or not?
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68
21 REPLIES 21

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Hey Soup, as long as you're not appearing regularly on Jamie Davis' TV show, you must be OK, eh? That Coquihalla Pass is one nasty piece of work. We did the one farther east between Radium HS and Banff along 93 back in 2015. It was a foothill compared to the ones near you, I bet. Keep the rubber on the road, and take care out there.

Iโ€™m about 6 hrs and 5 mountain passes east of the Coq.
The Coq isnโ€™t all that bad, no worse than any other high mountain pass in BC. Yes they get snow, just like the mountain passes around me, but the difference is ... they have a TV Show... we donโ€™t.
The problem with the Coq is that it is the main East/ West Hwy between Vancouver area and the rest of Canada, and NO BODY slows down no matter the weather.
I live 20 minutes from the Highest Mountain Pass open year round in Canada, that mountain pass is shutdown often during the winter for avalanche control. Everyone around here plan there winter trips so that you are cleaning the Summit by 06:30 as Avalanche control starts โ€œ usuallyโ€ at 7:00.
Avalanche Control
There are a lot of mountain passes and hills that are worse than the hill going down into Radium Hot Springs, itโ€™s just traveled more often than the ones back here in the Bush... ( grin)
Soup.

I don't know, I have traveled every rout several times, I think the biggest thing with the Coq is a combination of the steepness and length of it compared to others, also the elevation. you are going up at and average of 7% for quite a distance with two spots on smasher hitting 13%. yes coming into golden is pretty steep but not anywhere close to the lengths, same as the stich backs around Creston and any other place I can remember. add this to the fact that most people don't slow down like you said, it really works the vehicles.

Steve

Well Steve Iโ€™m not sure where you found switch backs around Creston unless you were on some logging road near Creston, and I canโ€™t figure out where the steep hill is that comes into Golden, so I will stick with my statement that the Coqu is no worse than any other high elevation mountain in B.C. and the amount of traffic and speed are the main influences on that section of Hwy.

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
SideHillSoup wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Hey Soup, as long as you're not appearing regularly on Jamie Davis' TV show, you must be OK, eh? That Coquihalla Pass is one nasty piece of work. We did the one farther east between Radium HS and Banff along 93 back in 2015. It was a foothill compared to the ones near you, I bet. Keep the rubber on the road, and take care out there.

The Coq isnโ€™t all that bad, no worse than any other high mountain pass in BC. Yes they get snow, just like the mountain passes around me, but the difference is ... they have a TV Show... we donโ€™t.
The problem with the Coq is that it is the main East/ West Hwy between Vancouver area and the rest of Canada, and NO BODY slows down no matter the weather.
I live 20 minutes from the Highest Mountain Pass open year round in Canada, that mountain pass is shutdown often during the winter for avalanche control. Everyone around here plan there winter trips so that you are cleaning the Summit by 06:30 as Avalanche control starts โ€œ usuallyโ€ at 7:00.
Avalanche Control
There are a lot of mountain passes and hills that are worse than the hill going down into Radium Hot Springs, itโ€™s just traveled more often than the ones back here in the Bush... ( grin)
Soup.

I don't know, I have traveled every rout several times, I think the biggest thing with the Coq is a combination of the steepness and length of it compared to others, also the elevation. you are going up at and average of 7% for quite a distance with two spots on smasher hitting 13%. yes coming into golden is pretty steep but not anywhere close to the lengths, same as the stich backs around Creston and any other place I can remember. add this to the fact that most people don't slow down like you said, it really works the vehicles.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
stevemorris wrote:
Ontario and quebec are pretty straight forward
any trailer over 2000 lbs must have brakes on ALL wheels and there must a functioning breakaway system
a car on a dolly IS considered a trailer and has the same requirements

The threshold for brakes in Ontario is 3,000 pounds (1,360kg), not 2k.

Car dollies are not trailers and they do not require brakes in Ontario.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
Ontario and quebec are pretty straight forward
any trailer over 2000 lbs must have brakes on ALL wheels and there must a functioning breakaway system
a car on a dolly IS considered a trailer and has the same requirements
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes they must be set to metric standards too. Who comes up with such nonsense. Right up there with how bad the northern roads supposedly are.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
It's a provincial thing.

BC Regulations

Trailer Brake Requirements
Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less โ€“ Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) โ€“ Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) โ€“ Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

This could catch those with heavier toads. Do any of the toad braking systems allow independent application of brakes? Also catches me because my brake system is a surge brake.

You would pretty much have to be towing a 3/4 T to be over 6000 lbs.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

Avalanche Control
Soup.

OMG, that avalanche control vid tells me "avoid the Kootenay Pass, if possible, in avalanche season". Better they bring it down under control, than have it come down unexpectedly on some vehicles. You deal with that every year?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

Avalanche Control
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roads in BC and Alberta are steeper than US roads. Their design criteria are less stringent. There are some long 12% grades. You need brakes that work or you are going to have problems.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
It's a provincial thing.

BC Regulations

Trailer Brake Requirements
Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less โ€“ Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) โ€“ Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) โ€“ Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

This could catch those with heavier toads. Do any of the toad braking systems allow independent application of brakes? Also catches me because my brake system is a surge brake.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer brakes in Canada must be used only in metric.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Very more than likely if you conform to your local State laws and regs you will be fine here as we are when we travel in your neck of the woods. Ontario requires trailer brakes on trailers over 3000lbs.

You will NOT find anyone here in Ontario doing any inspections on out of country trailers except maybe around the Victoria Day weekend and only on major highway off ramps.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
In Canada, brakes must be able to be operated in either French or English.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)